How The 1% Really Got That Way!

wkmac

In Restraint of Trade, The Business Campaign Against Competition 1918-1938

Paralleling this view of history, however, is a recognition that government
regulation has generally served to further the very economic interests
being regulated. The economist-and later United States senator-Paul
Douglas was not the first to become aware of this fact when, in 1935, he
observed with some bewilderment, "Public regulation has proved most ineffective.
Instead of the regulatory commissions controlling the private utilities,
the utilities have largely controlled the regulatory commissions. Nor
was he the last to perceive the truth of that proposition. Indeed, in the intervening
years, research has revealed the dominant influence of commercial
and industrial interests in shaping and directing government regulatory policies
in order to advance such business interest. While there is a debate as to
whether businessmen had advocated the establishment of political agencies
in order to structure the marketplace for their benefit or had only captured
such agencies after they had been created, few would question the idea that
the regulatory processes of government have been actively and purposefully
employed by business interests in order to gain advantages denied them in
the marketplace. page 14

Or, as an earlier scholar, Myron Watkins, noted: "From the time of President
Theodore Roosevelt's second administration there had been an insistent movement
among certain industrial leaders for either a legislative or administrative
definition of an exact standard of competitive conduct." page 15

The attraction of so many business leaders to systems of government enforced
trade practice standards reflected a continuing institutionalization
of economic life. The system wide benefits of maintaining openness in competition-
with no legal restrictions on freedom of entry into the marketplace
or on the terms and conditions for which parties could contract with one
another-were being rejected by business organizations more concerned with
the survival of individual firms and industries. As a consequence, business
leaders expressed an increasing desire for the maintenance of conditions of
equilibrium that would help preserve the positions of existing firms. Free
and unrestrained competition demanded a continuing resiliency in responding
to market changes. The innovation in products, services, and business
methods that made economic life creative and vibrant came to be seen as a
threat to the survival of firms unable or unwilling to respond. Concerns for
security and stability began to take priority over autonomy and spontaneity
in the thinking of most business leaders. page 16

In order to put business responses to competitive practices during the postwar
years in proper perspective, one must begin with the WIB. The war itself
served as a catalyst for the emergence of corporate institutionalism. As the
historian William Leuchtenburg has stated:
"The war confirmed the triumph of large-scale industrial organization. . . . [It]
speeded both popular acceptance and acceptance in the business world of the
virtues of large-scale, amalgamated, oligopolistic industries. . . . In 1916 America
still thought to a great degree in terms of nineteenth-century values of decentralization,
competition, equality, agrarian supremacy, and the primacy of the
small town. By 1920 the triumph of the twentieth century-centralized, industrialized,
secularized, urbanized-while by no means complete, could clearly
be foreseen."
The historian Robert Wiebe has observed that "the mobilization of 1917
and 1918 illuminated the degree to which an emerging bureaucratic system
had actually ordered American society." page 21

In furtherance of the war effort, the WIB centralized the economic life of
America into a highly structured bureaucracy under the effective direction
and control of leading business interests. Matters relating to the production,
pricing, and allocation of strategic goods and services were handled not by
the impersonal forces of the marketplace, but by the quite personal direction
of businessmen armed with governmental authority. American industry had,
in short, become "mobilized" in the most literal, military sense of the word.
Depending upon how one viewed the practice, American businesses found
themselves subject to political "coordination" or "regimentation" in furtherance
of collective goals. The historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr. has provided
an accurate summary:
"For a moment Washington became the unchallenged economic capital of the
nation. Through the War Industries Board, the government mobilized industrial
production. Through the War Food Administration, it sought to control
the production and consumption of food. Through the Capital Issues Committee,
it tried to regulate private investment. Through the War Finance Corporation,
it directed and financed industrial expansion. It took over the railroads
and the telephone and telegraph system. It set up independent public corporations
in diverse fields from the United States Housing Corporation to the Shipping
Board Emergency Fleet Corporation, from the Sugar Equalization Board
to the Spruce Production Corporation."
Another historian, Frederick Lewis Allen, more succinctly characterized the
WIB as an agency with "almost dictatorial power to decide to what uses the
industrial machinery of the country might be applied. "s
With the backing of the United States Chamber of Commerce, the Council
of National Defense created the WIB in July 1917. page 22

For purposes of this book, the significance of the WIB experiment lies in
the exposure of the business community to a system of political coordination,
under business direction, of those economic functions that are ordinarily
thought of as being best left to the disciplines and pressures of the
marketplace. The economic order and allocation of resources that are the
of the impersonal and informal market pricing mechanism were
abandoned in favor of formal, political means of ordering economic activity.
More importantly, the business community discovered in the WIB the basic
machinery for a more permanent system for an effective business direction
of economic life.

The WIB was viewed by certain businessmen as not only essential to the
war effort but as having the potential for helping to regularize competitive
conditions once the war ended. Prior to becoming president of AT&T, Walter
S. Gifford told a meeting of the United States Chamber of Commerce in
September 1917:
"We have never needed such organized industry as much as we need it now
when we are engaged in this great war and we never have needed it as much as
we shall need it after this war is over, when we shall be in the midst of a world
competition of unknown proportions." page 25

And it only gets better from there!

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't know where we fall in the "percentage". Whatever % we are is simply because of the good fortune of having work, The mindset of saving, not spending every penny on the latest "in" gadgets and not trying to keep up with the Jones's .(no offense, Jones)

The formula is simple and not 8 paragraphs. Work hard, be prudent, frugal and plan for your own future.

There's always work out there.....if you think you are too good for it, that's your problem.

island1fox

Sleeve,
You are right. I do vote. Unlike More[no offense meant more} I know that I am included in that so called evil one percent.

1. My father legally immigrated to the U.S. from Ireland after losing all to the English Empire --the same Empire that instituted slavery in the new world. Reparations eligible ?? No just move on.
2. Lived in the slums of the South Bronx-Apartment -no house -no car. Roman Catholic parents had six children . Father Railroad "Union" Mechanic -Mom worked as cashier
3. Could have used very humble beginnings as a lifetime excuse.
4. Got working papers at 14 -worked after school ,weekends and summers as delivery boy and roofer.
5. Paid attention -worked hard in school-took out loans for College and earned a Bachelor degree in education -NYC teachers license.
6. During 4 yrs of College worked for 2.19 an hour unloading,sorting, loading for UPS -took many double shifts while attending College full time. No car took NYC subway at night.
7. Instead of following brother in Teaching career --Delivered packages for UPS.
8. Drove Feeders for UPS.
9. Local 804 God Ron C. told me not to go into Mgmt, not to put thrift plan in UPS stock, Not to "LEAVE THE SECURITY" of the union.
10. Many so-called friends in 804 depised my move into Mgmt -I was same person they knew and liked -now I was Hated.
11. Worked many long,long, hard years as an on car supervisor in the South Bronx -Fort Apache.
12. Worked many long,long hard years working nights in Harlem-Manhattan North -No overtime.
13. Moved and re-located to different States and Countries over the next 36 years as I worked extemely hard climbing the Corporate Ladder.
14. Borrowed and invested all extra cash into UPS stock --high risk --many years of high interests rates, small homes and used cars. Wife had to get a job during high interest years.
15. Missed many,many holidays and family events because of obligations of Management.
16. Lived through the UPS IPO when many dreams were realized.
17. Was always proud of and still easily can look in the mirror today of Working with Integrity and being know as a "People's Person."

Not asking for any pats on the back nor sympathy. But I am a one percenter and I am proud of the life that I have lived. I never had a "magic" accountant and have paid way more that even the "average" UPSer to the government in taxes. I have contributed to society and continue to support numerous charities.

I am sick and tired of President Obama telling me to pay my "Fair Share" Even in retirement My success is rewarded by the highest tax rates, the highest property taxes and the scorn of people like 804 and OWS.

I for one truly HOPE that the President will CHANGE and do HIS FAIR SHARE.:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Our story sounds the same........'cept the Ireland part. Where is that 1% line?

If it was globally, I think UPS drivers would be shocked to know they are probably in that 1%.

You work hard, sacrifice, do well and you are penalized. I never quite understood that.

wkmac

So, the 1% claim they are trapped and harmed by such big government programs as social security. "We can't create jobs because we're handtied by big government outcomes!"

So that being the case if true:nono2:, then why did they work to make sure gov't created the whole mess to begin with?

Sure get's more interesting when you start digging into interlocking corp. directors and back tracing that into gov't.

So, you're rightly fed up with career politicians running and screwing up gov't and say it's time to let the businessmen run everything. Businessmen have been running everything but just hiding behind the career politicians as they know you won't look!

island1fox

All the personal crap aside, you took me out of context. mac posted a well thought out article and the very first post; you guessed it; a very thoughtless reply!

Hey Pal,

I have always been very civil on this cafe. Call your own life personal crap not mine.
What I constantly hear from people like you is that the "system is rigged" or "America is Bad" " Rich are evil" --that is truly crap -your word.

rod

Retired 22 years
The true 1%'ers got it the old fashion way------they inherited it. Very very few self made 1%'ers anymore. Maybe a few leftover .com'ers from a few years back. "Old money" is great-------wish I had some.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hey Pal,

I have always been very civil on this cafe. Call your own life personal crap not mine.
What I constantly hear from people like you is that the "system is rigged" or "America is Bad" " Rich are evil" --that is truly crap -your word.
Show me where I said any of those three things. not nice to put words in others mouths.

Again, the point is that the topic at hand (loosely defined, not to narrow down to the "dems" or Woodrow Wilson or WIB) is very relevant today as the perpetual war machine and big business continues to zap our tax money and put it into the hands of a select few elite businessmen. Whether that makes "America bad", "rich evil", or "system is rigged", and to what degree, is a matter of opinion.

Show me where I said any of those three things. not nice to put words in others mouths.

Again, the point is that the topic at hand (loosely defined, not to narrow down to the "dems" or Woodrow Wilson or WIB) is very relevant today as the perpetual war machine and big business continues to zap our tax money and put it into the hands of a select few elite businessmen. Whether that makes "America bad", "rich evil", or "system is rigged", and to what degree, is a matter of opinion.
I'll point out one for ya, not going to go back to other threads for the other two point.

In post # 8 in response to Island's resume you posted :
All the personal crap aside, you took me out of context. mac posted a well thought out article and the very first post; you guessed it; a very thoughtless reply!
Regardless if you intended to say Island's personal post was crap or not, that IS what you said.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with trp--Island did not have to detail his personal life to us but did so to illustrate a point, which you chose to dismiss as "personal crap". It's ironic that you gave a thoughtless reply to what you felt was a thoughtless reply.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'll point out one for ya, not going to go back to other threads for the other two point.

In post # 8 in response to Island's resume you posted :
Regardless if you intended to say Island's personal post was crap or not, that IS what you said.
Now you're lying. It's not good to lie.

What I said was, (and I am being perfectly clear Trp, don't lie again) :

Island, show me where I directly said (as quotes) "America is bad", "rich are evil" and "the system is rigged". those three quotes

What Island posted is, infact, crap to me, because it revolves around money and money/social status/class is completely irrelevant to me. IMO, you can feel free to disagree.

Now you're lying. It's not good to lie.

What I said was, (and I am being perfectly clear Trp, don't lie again) :

Island, show me where I directly said (as quotes) "America is bad", "rich are evil" and "the system is rigged". those three quotes

What Island posted is, infact, crap to me, because it revolves around money and money/social status/class is completely irrelevant to me. IMO, you can feel free to disagree.

WOW! do you and TOS get together on the weekends to practice your twist lessons? Where did I lie? YOU in fact did say "All the personal crap aside, you took me out of context. mac posted a well thought out article and the very first post; you guessed it; a very thoughtless reply!" , did you not?

Until now I have not addressed the three quotes. You may not have ever said those exact words, but fellow you have said it in many other words, and you know it no need to look them up.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
WOW! do you and TOS get together on the weekends to practice your twist lessons? Where did I lie? YOU in fact did say "All the personal crap aside, you took me out of context. mac posted a well thought out article and the very first post; you guessed it; a very thoughtless reply!" , did you not?

Until now I have not addressed the three quotes. You may not have ever said those exact words, but fellow you have said it in many other words, and you know it no need to look them up.
I said that he put words in my mouth and were not true. Three quotes.

Then you come along and for whatever reason, and said I was denying something that I never denied saying! Yes, his story was personal crap and meaningless to me. Sorry if that offends you, him , or anyone else, but that's how I feel.

That does not make it right for you to jump in and try to imply I denied saying something (which is lying, since I stand by my words), nor does it make it right for Island to put words and thoughts in my mouth.

America is not all bad, the system is not entirely rigged, and the rich are not all evil. Not everything is white or black.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
[h=2]Georgia Businessman Who Hung “Not Hiring Until Obama Is Gone” Signs Reported to The FBI As a Threat To National Security…[/h]
article-0-0EEC342300000578-239_468x286.jpg

Liberal tolerance is a one-way street.
Via Atlanta Business Chronicle:

moreluck

golden ticket member
"............... money/social status/class is completely irrelevant to me. IMO, ............"

people who say stuff like that usually have none.....

island1fox

I said that he put words in my mouth and were not true. Three quotes.

Then you come along and for whatever reason, and said I was denying something that I never denied saying! Yes, his story was personal crap and meaningless to me. Sorry if that offends you, him , or anyone else, but that's how I feel.

That does not make it right for you to jump in and try to imply I denied saying something (which is lying, since I stand by my words), nor does it make it right for Island to put words and thoughts in my mouth.

America is not all bad, the system is not entirely rigged, and the rich are not all evil. Not everything is white or black.

Hey guys,
Its Thanksgiving!!!! This discussion is not really worth it. Happy Thanksgiving to Sleeve, More, Wkmac,Upstate and trpinkl.:wink2: