How to become a Driver

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't understand how your think someone cant work both jobs , you have been saying no to every question like that but then again you didn't have to do it so you wouldn't understand

and I did it for 5 years

It's one thing to work the preload and work a second blue collar job. It's quite another to sling boxes and sweat your ass off and them go work 9-5 in a professional environment.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

You would have thought things would have improved after you left.
I was one of those ..who came in early to go thru truck everyday. Take off average of 5 misloads..find all my air and organize my load . Always ran under, skipped lunch most of time. Driver of the month awards adorn my wall. As well as a feature of me in the paper in my 20s. Also made the circle of honor. I will add that none of this was ever acknowledged , even the circle of honor. I had to go to hr to ask for the leather jacket we get. Before any one comments on working for free and skipping lunch,(I don't care) I did it as a way to get home due to being a single parent of two. I kept doing it when they got older because it worked for me. I gave them everything I had. Apparently my center in texas was much worse than yours. I retired a tad earlier than I wanted due to over dispatching us 12 hours everyday. I have a herniated disc from over 70 package . I have 3 repaired hernias from over 70s. I got a new shoulder last year from repetitive motion. Funny thing is when we had a one day strike for increasing our weight limits from 70 to 150, I worked. Never got hurt until the weights increased. Any rude or nasty comments will be ignored. Got screwed so many times. And then asked to give to united way after coming in at 9pm. I just laughed. And then was told to donate blood on the way out to a blood drive they set up. I still laughed. So you bet your ass if I had a light dispatch I sat on my ass and read the paper. And didn't help the idiots who walk up to their trucks at start time bitching about their loads .$#€% ups. I love them paying me every month

Last edited by a moderator:

PT Car Washer

It's one thing to work the preload and work a second blue collar job. It's quite another to sling boxes and sweat your ass off and them go work 9-5 in a professional environment.
Some office jobs have flex hours. Come in at 9:30, 1/2 hour lunch and off at 5:00.And or work the primary and be the first off by 7:30 or 8:00. A lot of cube dwellers work out in the AM.

Seasonal1

I am currently unemployed in my office job field, but I have an offer on the table. As with past jobs in this field it is 8 am to 4:30 pm with up to 1 hour for lunch (technically 30 minutes and two 15 minute breaks, but no one uses them that way). It also includes anywhere from 1-3 night meetings per month.

During peak at UPS I did in fact work 12 hour days. I had about 6 weeks in a row of 60 hour checks.

I have always been the type of person that is smart and professional enough to work in a white collar job, but physically fit and down-to-earth enough to work in a blue collar job. And in both I am a hard worker.

I could see myself working as a loader on the 5 pm to 10 pm shift while I have the office job, though I would have to be like Superman changing and driving from one to the other. I don't think I could do the 10 pm to 3 am or 3:30 am to 8:30 am shifts. I need to be able to sleep. In that regard I am not Superman.

jaker

trolling
Oh ok , you must be right since you never had to do it yourself

Oh by the way my first job I had to wear a button up shirt and a tie then meet with vendors who sold our stuff , but hey what do I know