How to get rid of a crappy business agent

nate4027

After speaking to the General President of my local getting me absolutely nowhere, how else can a member achieve getting a new business agent to represent them?

iowa boy

Good Luck with that one, that's all I can tell you. A bunch of us inquired about electing a new steward earlier this year, and found out that stewards are appointed by our BA and only the Executive board can remove a steward. Im sure the same process can be applied to getting rid of your current BA.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Next election vote him out, until then you're probally stuck with him.

How come he wasn't on my election ballot this go round? All I seen was the national spots up for vote.

hembone is talking about the elections within your union local. Why would members of local 687 care who the BA in 804 is?

iowaboy, I would think that a petition signed by the majority of the hourlies would convince the BA that a change is needed.

moreluck

golden ticket member
He had an ineffective steward..................I remembered who's the best (by their own admission). Just helping out.

wkmac

He had an ineffective steward..................I remembered who's the best (by their own admission). Just helping out.

For some reason, I didn't take the wording and tone of your post as intent on helping. Maybe it's a "LEFT Coast" thing!

Oh I see, you meant kinda like that?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The best way to have a business agent removed from service is to write a letter to the executive board first. Include all the details of the reasons for asking for a removal. These reasons must be factual and not PERSONAL. Now, you have no right to ask for a terminaion, only a replacement.

Removals are the business decisions of the E board and not the members. Your concerns must be legitimate and with merit. Merely complaining because its the flavor of the month on the shop floor is a waste of your time.

By merit, you must be able to prove that the agent has done something to fail to represent the membership. Things like, fail to schedule grievance hearings in a timely manner, failure to defend members using the contract, no contact with the membership or failure to service his yards. If you present this kind of FACTUAL evidence to the EBOARD, they will act if the allegations are true. If this is merely political, then you will get nowhere.

What I question is YOUR motives for this position. Answer these questions for me.

1) Why did you personally speak to the general president and ask for a removal?
2) What basis did you present for this request?
3) Who else supports this request?
4) What are the specific complaints you have about your agent?
5) What specific proof do you have to legitimize your complaints?

Once you have these questions answered, you can get good advice.

Peace.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
OK, Joe Union, how would you go about replacing an ineffective appointed shop steward when the BA can't be bothered?

The real question STATE, is what do you consider ineffective? Were all the cases presented to the steward defendable? and by that , I mean, with merit and contractual backing, or just a pile of useless grievances?

Peace.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The real question STATE, is what do you consider ineffective? Were all the cases presented to the steward defendable? and by that , I mean, with merit and contractual backing, or just a pile of useless grievances?

Peace.

Go back and read the entire thread and you will see the context in which this post was made. Dave.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Go back and read the entire thread and you will see the context in which this post was made. Dave.

Dave , im not doing a research project, I asked you a specific question about what determines a "ineffective steward" in your opinion. If I wanted the others opinion , i would have asked them and not you.

peace.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The original poster "implied" that he "spoke" to the general president of his local and his request was DENIED.

Should we assume, based on this conversation that the original poster had no merit in his request? There are specifics to determine before any real advice can be given. After those specifics are assertained can real advice be given.

Peace.