How to get started as a package handler during the holiday season (Cincinnati)

Hi folks. I’ve recently been looking to get started at UPS as a package handler working inside, the goal is to give it 5 years and hopefully go driving. Every job posting I am seeing for my area in Cincinnati is seasonal/part time. Based on all of my searching of the cafe, this means I would likely be laid off after peak right?

I guess I’m curious as to whether or not I should just apply now or wait until after January to apply? Does being seasonal mean you 100 percent won’t be kept on part time? Also, does anyone have a general idea of the current need for drivers in Cincinnati?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Hi folks. I’ve recently been looking to get started at UPS as a package handler working inside, the goal is to give it 5 years and hopefully go driving. Every job posting I am seeing for my area in Cincinnati is seasonal/part time. Based on all of my searching of the cafe, this means I would likely be laid off after peak right?

I guess I’m curious as to whether or not I should just apply now or wait until after January to apply? Does being seasonal mean you 100 percent won’t be kept on part time? Also, does anyone have a general idea of the current need for drivers in Cincinnati?
Okay.
So we are currently in the "seasonal period". That's basically October 15th ish to January 15th ish based on your local.
That means everyone we hire is a seasonal, basically.

After peak, UPS will keep the best seasonals (for the most part) and keep them on. In this case, best means those the supervisors like, and who caused the least problems. (In other words, don't get into fist fights, don't call in, and follow orders.)

Now how many slots are available is going to depend on the size of the center, and how bad staffing is there.
But if you do reasonably well, you'll likely be allowed to stay after.