How to pick a hub to work?

bailey2227

Hello:

I have made up my mind that I want to make a career out of working at UPS. I am wondering if there are hubs that are better to work than others. I currently live in Cleveland, Ohio. I've been told that the Middleburg Heights, Ohio hub is one of the top 5 busiest hubs in the country. I don't know how true or accurate that is. I also don't know if that makes it a good place to work or a bad. I have considered moving down to Columbus, Ohio. I don't really care where I have to live. I am more focused on where the most opportunities are going to be for me. If there are any people out there from Ohio, I could really use your help on this one. I hope I can get some answers before I put in my application and get started. My goal is to become a full-time driver.

Lobofan5

Im from Ohio.

Hub A: tiny hub, small volume few employees

Hub B: Large hub, mass volume many employees.

A= very limited potential opportunties for growth
B= unlimited potential opportunites for growth.

Why limit your opportunities from the get go...considering you have a choice?

T

tribefan83

think of the potential volume growth for each hub. more volume = more routes = more drivers.

Big Babooba

Im from Ohio.

Hub A: tiny hub, small volume few employees

Hub B: Large hub, mass volume many employees.

A= very limited potential opportunties for growth
B= unlimited potential opportunites for growth.

Why limit your opportunities from the get go...considering you have a choice?
Up here, your seniority is good for any UPS operation in the local union's jurisdiction. You can bid on a job opening in another building if there are none in yours. The bad part is that you can be bumped to another building if you don't have enough feathers in your cap.

bailey2227

Hello:

I am not sure what you meant by being bumped to another location? I don't work for UPS, so it is hard for me to understand some of the stuff people are saying on here. I am spending a lot of time on here, and trying to learn what I can. Also, when you say up here. What area does Cleveland, Ohio fall in? Meaning, how far of an area can I apply for jobs?

diesel96

No such thing as a small Hub........Hubs are the central nerve system logistically and strategically placed in high density populated areas of the country which have to maintain certain volume percentages. Hubs usally have shifts working around the clock and are key to traffic and feeder flow transportation to surrounding areas. ....Smaller Bldg's are known as Centers with less employees, less volume, less trucks, less traffic and probably less opportunities as a Hub. However working in a Center IMO maybe more personable and satisfying and worth the wait for senority or mngmt promotions. Also, choose your Hub or Center thats closer to home, last thing you want to do is have a long drive home after UPS zaps all your mojo for the day (or night).