Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest. I just wanted to let you know that there will be some service disruptions here over the next few days. We're moving to a new server and then the latest version of xenforo is going to be installed. ~ cheryl

How Will UPS Compete With Amazon?

Discussion in 'USPS, DHL, Amazon, Drones, etc.' started by ThePackageDeli, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Let's assume Amazon will be extending its delivery service to customers outside of the prime membership category. Given the large number of vehicles recently ordered by Amazon, this seems plausible.

If and when that happens, what steps can UPS take to prevent Amazon from stealing its accounts?

2. DriverNerd

DriverNerd Active Member

Amazon has a ways to go before it can handle lots of irregs and lots of air. Any customer that deals with those isn't going to be very interested in Amazon until they can handle all of their parcels...unless they give them one hell of a deal. Until then only thing UPS can do to keep customers is decrease their rates. Amazon won't offer any better service than UPS or Fedex. It's going to be all about reliability and cost.

3. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

Are you really that concerned about Amazon? Or did you fall in love with Alexa, and this is some fetish? Seriously, you couldn't find the answer to this question in any of your 4 other chicken-little Amazon threads?

4. Fred's Myth

Fred's Myth Nonhyphenated American

Jeff Bezos is actually Ernst Stavro Blofeld!

bwahahahahahaha!

5. Zowert

Zowert Active Member

I can’t wait to see how paying people a dollar over minimum wage to deliver 70-150lb irregs is going to work out. I’m willing to bet Amazon will keep UPS just for that purpose, even when they’re self sufficient with under 70s and air.

This fleet of delivery vehicles they’re building up (cheap mid-sized cargo vans) is not going to handle all the heavy furniture and household appliances they sell. Combined with their normal load of small boxes and plastic envelopes, I wonder how many 100 pound mattresses and bed frames those Nissan or Mercedes vans can hold. I don’t even think there is room for a hand truck.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  6. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Dumped all my UPS stock and rolled it over to Amazon.

7. It will be fine

It will be fine Well-Known Member

They contract out delivery of heavier items as well. They aren’t in branded trucks, but if you see a random straight truck with 2 guys delivering stuff in a residential neighborhood it very well may be Amazon.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Zowert

Zowert Active Member

I read your reply and sure enough the next day I see two dudes in Amazon shirts delivering a bunch of rugs out of a budget truck. I got a peak inside and it was filled with space heaters, mattresses and that crappy particle board furniture you assemble. They’ve been doing this for a while but I never noticed, I guess I assumed they were movers.

At least they get to work in pairs.

9. OrioN

OrioN double tap o da horn dooshbag

So y is UPS still helping out Amazon???

10. It will be fine

You got me. They should drop em. Who knows what type of contract they have with them though.

11. Short term greed , long term short-sightedness

12. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Just a quick question. Do the "prime" delivery drivers get safety drilled into them like UPS does?? Do they get safety training at all?

13. PappyLand

PappyLand Active Member

Because we’re in the shipping buissness and more packages mean more money.

14. It will be fine

Nope. No drug tests, no safety training, no commercial licenses, no DOT regulation compliance.

15. Crash-n-Burn

Crash-n-Burn Finished work

Come on guys it's not that hard

16. Does anyone think Amazon will try to buy Fedex or UPS?

17. DriverNerd

DriverNerd Active Member

No. Amazon doesn't want a union workforce so there's UPS, and Fedex ground is what they're trying to become (with contractors). Amazon would have been smart to buy Fedex years ago when it was cheaper...too expensive now and they've invested too much into their own system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List