How would you handle this?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Today the driver next to me tells me at lunch that he has a $7000.00 value package.He goes to the house and the guy that answers the door has no arms.(no I am not making this up).How would you handle the situation? I said I would just print his name and in the remarks column put NO ARMS.My buddy said he wouldn't do it because of the $7000.00 value.After a little discussion I will tell you how he handled it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have dealt with this situation before with a customer who was a quadrapalegic. I signed my name and clarified my signiature for the delivery, and typed "disabled' in the remarks column. No forgery, no dishonesty, just making service on the package. If questioned, I would have a reasonable and honest explanation for my actions.

brownrodster

If the guy has no arms then clearly he has one bad ass left foot of fury. His feet/toes are probably bad ass enough to weild that stylus.

New Englander

I have dealt with this situation before with a customer who was a quadrapalegic. I signed my name and clarified my signiature for the delivery, and typed "disabled' in the remarks column. No forgery, no dishonesty, just making service on the package. If questioned, I would have a reasonable and honest explanation for my actions.

Are you willing to do that on a High Value package? HV Signature required is a whole different can of worms there.

Most times people disabled like this have help around or live in an area that has very close neighbors. You can find someone to sign.

H

hseofpayne

Today the driver next to me tells me at lunch that he has a $7000.00 value package.He goes to the house and the guy that answers the door has no arms.(no I am not making this up).How would you handle the situation? I said I would just print his name and in the remarks column put NO ARMS.My buddy said he wouldn't do it because of the $7000.00 value.After a little discussion I will tell you how he handled it.
I'd beat his :censored2: and take his $7,000! Just kidding, I'd ask him if he had a stamp he used to sign checks. Most handicapped people have a pretty good system going for these ocassions. One of the saddest things I've ever dealt with was a man on my rte about 45 years old who had diabetes real bad. Every few months I would deliver a pkg to him and the doctors would have cut off part of his foot, then his lower leg, and then finally his whole legs. But he learned to use one of those fancy rollin' chairs and got around fine. I hated it for him, but I got a nice set of golf clubs out of the deal, brand new, I delivered them myself b4 he started getting operated on! The only other option I can think of is to have him say his name into the speaker on the DIAD!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It always seems that some of the people who need to sign are the least able. Ive had this problem before, curled up fingers, right hand deformed, most can manage. When they cant if they ask me to, print their name, and by and my initials.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This sounds like a perfectly acceptable and compassionate way to handle the situation.

H

hseofpayne

How is that stamp gonna work on the DIAD or are you still on paper?

Naw but I bet you got some rollin papers! If the stamp wouldn't work, I guess I'd go back to plan A, beat his :censored2: and take his $7,000 pkg! Naw, really I would take the stamp, stamp it on a piece of paper where I could see his signature, then do my best forgery. I'm good, just ask my Daddys' bank! When I was a young hoodlum, I used to forge checks for $20 to go get my Dad some beer so he wouldn't drive. Forgery probably ain't the right answer but I would probably do it. If I got in trouble, we would be back at plan A!

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
What he did was he told the customer that there may be another pkg in the truck for him and he was going to look for it.When he got back to the truck (package car) he called the office and explained the situation.They told him to driver release it.He said he wouldn't because of the $7000.00 value.They gave him some grief so he said he would handle it.He went back to the customer and said he was sorry but he could not leave the package with him because he needed a signature.The customer then says no problem I can sign.He pulls up his sleeve with his mouth to reveal 3 small fingers up by his shoulder.He tells the driver to put the stylus in between them which the driver does and the guy signs his name.I don't know but I still would have printed his name and put NO ARMS in the remarks column.That's just me but I can see where the $7000.00 value could create some difficulty in deciding what to do.Thanks for all the different answers.It will be the topic of discussion Monday morning.

bellesotico

BOXstar
In this case I think the proper thing to do is to treat the customer the way you would any other customer. Ask for a signature. If they tell you they are unable to sign, then inform them you would not be able to leave the package.
This may prompt the customer to ask YOU to sign on behalf of them..in which case it would be very appropriate to put a remark in such as "disabled customer".

UPS Lifer

This is the correct answer. I have seen more than my share of these type of situations as a driver and a manager.

When in doubt use good common sense. If unsure call the center. Though in this case, I don't like the answer they gave. The more info you have the better you can recall the stop and the more credible & detailed your account of the situation if the need arises. "MC" doesn't quite give you the detail you need!

H

hseofpayne

This is the correct answer. I have seen more than my share of these type of situations as a driver and a manager.

When in doubt use good common sense. If unsure call the center.

So what your saying is, if you were to go looking for common sense, the center would be the first place you looked?!!!!!! Just kidding, I just never saw a coorelation between the two!