Humbled today

Wizzy

Ups s stands for service. 36 yrs. shop owner that my wife runs many times COD helps control cash flow when vendors have delayed shipments. I snap a lot to but always try to remember p doesn't stand for production

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you shouldn't feel bad. you should feel lucky. you learned a very valuable lesson today. a Christmas gift as it were.

I bet you never forget this incident as long as you live.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

COD's probably get the best of all of us from time to time. Some customers it's smooth, others make you dread them like your in-laws. Wish UPS would just do away with them altogether.

UPS charges $10 for each COD so they aren't going anywhere, although the numbers are down significantly.

I have one customer who gets COD's all the time. I have learned that if I write the COD amount and shipper name for each on a piece of paper and hand that to the owner she will write the checks while I deliver adjacent businesses. By the time I finish she will have the checks ready. She doesn't feel rushed and I am not standing there wasting time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Honestly..who even gets cod packages anymore...except for customers who don't pay their bills

There are still consignees who prefer to pay as they go but I agree that it would make much more sense to use a zero interest credit card to pay for those purchases and to then pay off the card in full each month.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What's the "allowance" for a cod delivery....it's not enough in most cases and usually the check isn't ready when a driver gets there..then if the amount on the pkg doesn't match what was told to the customer originally then that's a whole other problem. ..I don't worry about it..I don't care

3 minutes per.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Are the residents Hispanic by any chance??
Some hispanic, some African american, but all my residential is of that demographic(s). I have four white households on my whole route and one or two asian households.

The business is Korean.

In my experience race doesn't really have a correlation with CODs. Residentials rarely get CODs. It's really more of the type of business and what they sell/who their suppliers are.

Last edited:

JackStraw

What was in the envelope? Hope it was worth it. I use the Mailmans creed: $10 gets a hello, $20 a comment on the weather, and in your case, anything over $50 means I wait as long as you want for your C.O.D.'s

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I have a COD residential daily customer. I send a text message with the amounts and checks are on the door. Yes, I use my personal phone.
Exactly all bout thinking outside the box n not thinking like a robot. Anything to make job easier and more efficient for ya, i say use all the resources available to ya lol. Some people wipe their asczz and brush their teeth the same way every day, never quiete understood that, not against the law to go against the grain or norm lol.

10 point

Really nice card and a $20
You probably got that nice card and $ because of your relationship with them throughout the rest of the year.
She knows the patience you extend the rest of the time and she also knows that you're blown out of the water this time of year.

You apologized. Let it die.

Everyone has a bad day. She appreciates what you do and who you are and that's why you got the "thank you".

I have also found that some customers will drag their feet when they're dealing with the helper and not the driver they see every day.

johnny_hotdog

I used to deliver to a place that got CODs every week ot two. I hated it because everytime i would bring the COD the owner would act like I was stealing that money from her and would also act like was an absurd amount of money, even if it was only like $50. Then she would have to call someone and ask what was ordered and other BS. I don't really mind waiting for nice customers but I get pretty annoyed waiting for jerks.

UPS charges $10 for each COD so they aren't going anywhere, although the numbers are down significantly.

I have one customer who gets COD's all the time. I have learned that if I write the COD amount and shipper name for each on a piece of paper and hand that to the owner she will write the checks while I deliver adjacent businesses. By the time I finish she will have the checks ready. She doesn't feel rushed and I am not standing there wasting time.
Sometimes when you go back for a COD,You get run over!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to deliver to a place that got CODs every week ot two. I hated it because everytime i would bring the COD the owner would act like I was stealing that money from her and would also act like was an absurd amount of money, even if it was only like $50. Then she would have to call someone and ask what was ordered and other BS. I don't really mind waiting for nice customers but I get pretty annoyed waiting for jerks.

As soon as she began to reach for the phone I would start filling out an info notice(s) and taking the package(s) back to the car.

Z

ZQXC

I have little very patience with businesses that are not ready to quickly pay for a COD shipment.

Time and again I have delivered a COD to Mexican households that rarely receive anything. But guess what? On the first attempt they had a money order ready, typically rounded up to the next even dollar amount.

• They knew the pkg. was coming in
  • They knew the amount (including shipping and COD charges)
  • They took care of purchasing the money order in advance.

Not that difficult, but it does require some organization, and personal responsibility.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have little very patience with businesses that are not ready to quickly pay for a COD shipment.

Time and again I have delivered a COD to Mexican households that rarely receive anything. But guess what? On the first attempt they had a money order ready, typically rounded up to the next even dollar amount.

• They knew the pkg. was coming in
  • They knew the amount (including shipping and COD charges)
  • They took care of purchasing the money order in advance.
Not that difficult, but it does require some organization, and personal responsibility.
And those Mexican households may barely speak English yet will have a money order ready. Usually rounded up to the next dollar so they will be sure it is enough.

Z

ZQXC

Had a lady chase me down on area saying she wanted to get her COD pkg. I told her the amount. She looked at me and said "The money order is at home."

(So just to recap: You took the time to get in your car and come find me to secure what you knew was a COD package, but you did not bring the money order with you. Is that correct?)

C'mon man.....