Hurricane

klein

Für Meno :)
200.000 people without power in N.C. now.

Honestly, that's when Europeans laugh at us. Back in the early 70's they changed all their overhead power lines to underground.
Why that hasn't been done in North America, yet.... is nuts, esspecially in hurricane states, like Florida, Texas, La, N.C, S.C, Ge, etc.
And Tornedo Alley on top of it, too.

Same in Canada, with the east coast getting hurricanes and power failure, or even ice storms that have the same effect.

Now, that could have been the best stimulus money they could have spent 2 years ago !

Instead, they keep paying and paying, over and over again, to replace those damn powerlines, and let people suffer for days or even weeks without any power !

moreluck

golden ticket member
200.000 people without power in N.C. now.

Honestly, that's when Europeans laugh at us. Back in the early 70's they changed all their overhead power lines to underground.
Why that hasn't been done in North America, yet.... is nuts, esspecially in hurricane states, like Florida, Texas, La, N.C, S.C, Ge, etc.
And Tornedo Alley on top of it, too.

Same in Canada, with the east coast getting hurricanes and power failure, or even ice storms that have the same effect.

Now, that could have been the best stimulus money they could have spent 2 years ago !

Instead, they keep paying and paying, over and over again, to replace those damn powerlines, and let people suffer for days or even weeks without any power !

If your 'dry ground' is covered with 4' of water.......buried utilities are just as vulnerable as up in the sky ones are to high winds.
I live in a section where all utilities are underground. Why did you think only Europe did that. I've had underground since I moved to CA. in '91.

Hurricane Irene

hi everyone, just looking for some first hand observations from people experiencing the storm, im located 1 hour north of nyc. ggod luck to all

klein

Hey meno, I'm currently bidding on a VIA Rail train return trip for 2 (Jasper, Alberta to Vancouver, BC ) . 1 of the worlds most famous train trips. (normal price is $3600 - hoping to get it much cheaper).
If I win , you'll have another reason to come visit me :)

Oh yeah, all meals on board are included, and comes with sleeper cabin, too :)

Hey meno, I'm currently bidding on a VIA Rail train return trip for 2 (Jasper, Alberta to Vancouver, BC ) . 1 of the worlds most famous train trips. (normal price is $3600 - hoping to get it much cheaper).
If I win , you'll have another reason to come visit me :)

Oh yeah, all meals on board are included, and comes with sleeper cabin, too :)

Shouldn`t you be practicing your hurricane alert with some leftover hotdogs about now instead of making vacation plans? Hurry, start stuffing them in! Disasster (pun) could strike at any moment!

klein

If your 'dry ground' is covered with 4' of water.......buried utilities are just as vulnerable as up in the sky ones are to high winds.
I live in a section where all utilities are underground. Why did you think only Europe did that. I've had underground since I moved to CA. in '91.

All new neighborhoods here have underground. That's the way they have been building them for decades now.
But, even that doesn't help if the powerlines towards my neighborhood fall !

Europe is much more used to flooding then we are.
You need to watch more world news to find that one out, and they don't have a problem with power outage !

moreluck

golden ticket member
You can be the cheerleader for Europe, Canada , Germany or whatever the hell you want...............I only cheer for one country, thankyou very much!

klein

Lovely! I like it. I have never been on a train!! :)

Don't know if it might overbid, 2 more days to go for bidding, but here is a preview :

[video=youtube;NBxfE17pP4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBxfE17pP4I[/video]

And, I was successful on a past bid, too :

Congratulations Klein,

You have a successful deal to buy a Thermos Combo Pack & $100 Safeway Gift Card for 800 AIR MILES® reward miles on AUGUST 25, 2011.

As authorized when you registered in the Safeway e-Auction, LoyaltyOne, Inc. doing business as the AIR MILES Reward Program has already debited 800 AIR MILES® reward miles from your Collector Account.

The Safeway store will call you to pick up your item once it arrives.

Please bring the following to the store when picking up your item:

a) a copy of this email;
b) your AIR MILES Collector Card;
c) valid Photo I.D.

Thanks for participating in the Safeway e-Auction and shopping at Safeway!

Regards,
Safeway e-Auction Prize Administration Office

klein

Back to the subject now : Sofar 4 deaths have been accounted for.

Oh, and before I forget. UPS has the contract with Canada Safeway. (I delivered many won items there)..... They will make a killing of dough with this new Safeway auction site.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Down to 16 boats left( normally around 150 ) in my little harbor; most of the professional lobstermen have moved into Boston Harbor or are beaching their boats on the mud flats along the Saugus River. Just about ever yard has a boat or two in it now.
Kind of quiet down by the local wharf.
Some light rain so far, seas are calm.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I enjoyed that earlier post about placing an card with your personal info and next of kin in your shoe.
I thought about naming bhos as my next of kin, think of all the confusion that would produce.

klein

Speaking of Obama, he should play his card right after this disaster that might cost up to $1 Trillion in damages.
Simply raise the debt ceiling by the amount it will cost the government.
Then see if the republicans still play hard ball !