Hurricane

Babagounj

Strength through joy
As I settle in for the night I will be quietly listening to the buzz of all the chainsaws working thru the night to clear all of the downed trees and limbs so that all the roads will be clear for the Monday Morning Rush Hour.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have states of emergency in effect for 2 of the 3 counties we deliver to out of our center. One of them is for 5 days, which I am sure is precautionary. I live in one of the counties but fully expect the driving ban to be lifted by tomorrow morning and for most of us to be on the road tomorrow. 4.11" of rain so far.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Fearless Leader “Takes Charge” At Hurricane Command Center…

hurricaneo-550x307.jpg

More like a pathetic photo-op.

OR, the real reason he was there........he was sick of 9 full days with Michelle.

Maybe he should have been standing on an aircraft carrier with a "Mission Accomplished" banner in the background.

P

pickup

That was this thread (page 5). And I was not worrying about hurricane damage, I was complaining that weather weenies always forcasted storms here to the extreme, and they never are.

I looked at that post and I guess I was reading something into it that wasn't there. Sorry.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Another typical case of Boston meteorologists exagerating to the nth degree.
I strongly disagree. Did you see the damage from surge in CT and also river flooding? The surge in parts of CT near HVN went .8 mile inland. For a weak hurricane/strong tropical storm, it was a pretty decent hit and a good wake-up.

Could it have been worse? Absolutely. This year? Unlikely, but not impossible.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
One of the many home videos I made. Haven't begun to sort through everything. This video was taken approximately 1/2 mile inland, the winds were much more sustained along the immediate exposed coastline.

We had nearly 10 hours of wind like this.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Hurricane Jose is current offshore and predicted to miss the USA.

Tropical Depression # 12 is still forming off of Africa and heading east.
It could be here after Labor Day.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I wish, because major storms have their names retired.

[h=4]Storm Names for 2011[/h]Arlene, Bret, Cindy, Don, Emily, Franklin, Gert, Harvey, Irene, Jose, Katia, Lee, Maria, Nate, Ophelia, Philippe, Rina, Sean, Tammy, Vince, Whitney

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hurricane Jose is current offshore and predicted to miss the USA.

Tropical Depression # 12 is still forming off of Africa and heading east.
It could be here after Labor Day.
Well most of the computer models have TD #12 just entering the "bears cage" centered around Day 7 (15N/60W). Infact the gfs ensembles almost unanimously show this , with a strong storm poised in a similar position to Irene. Given the model agreement there, it is nearly a slam dunk for whatever becomes of TD-12 to at least be in position to make a run at the U.S.

Given the tropical seasonal trends thus far, moderate LA Nina, negative PDO and NAO cycle, favorable MJO in the Indian ocean...I give TD-12 a 20% chance of coming across and affecting the U.S. That is very high odds for a Cape Verde storm (generally 5% directly affect the U.S.)

f168.gif

P

pickup

After Irene and now Jose, and "K" must follow. Maybe Hurricane Klein ?

It would probably dissipate upon reaching Cuba.

DISSIPATE, v.t. [L., to throw.]
1. To scatter; to disperse; to drive asunder. Wind dissipates fog; the [COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]heat of the sun[/COLOR] dissipates vapor; mirth dissipates [COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]care and[/COLOR] [COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]anxiety[/COLOR]; the cares of life tend to dissipate serious reflections. Scatter, disperse and dissipate are in many cases synonymous; but dissipate is used appropriately to denote the dispersion of things that vanish, or are not afterwards collected; as, to dissipate fog, vapor or clouds. We say, an army is scattered or dispersed, but not dissipated. Trees are scattered or dispersed over a field, but not dissipated.
2. To expend; to squander; to scatter property in wasteful extravagance; to [COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]waste[/COLOR]; to consume; as, a man has dissipated his fortune in the pursuit of pleasure.

over9five

Staff member
Trains are all screwed up. Nothing to do today. The boss was calling people last night asking if they wanted today off.

Don't have to ask me twice!