I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

J is for Junk Economics

michael hudson who is one of hte few people to predict the financial crisis, talks about capitalism, prices, neo feudalism, orwellian terms.

"Mainstream economists continue, in vain, to try and make the world fit into peculiar models that are based on junk ideas. But there is a cohort of economists who have steadfastly resisted this alternative reality. Their work focuses on re-building the flawed science to reflect the real world. Host Ross Ashcroft talks with economist Michael Hudson in New York, whose latest book ‘J is for Junk Economics’ calls out the Orwellian language and doublethink that mainstream economists have been hiding behind for decades."

rickyb

the bernie sanders of UK, who is probably gonna be prime minister shortly, is proposing radical changes to the economy:

And democratizing the economy means challenging the most important fundamental of capitalist economics: the primacy of private ownership. In particular, private ownership of capital, of all the things — the buildings, the machines, the tools, the hardware, and the software — that we use to make other things. Without a say in how tools are used, workers themselves become passive tools. Being able to actively participate in decision-making and ownership go hand in hand. Democratizing means taking ownership.

...First, there are co-ops, membership organizations where ownership and decision-making are shared by the members. There are many types of co-ops, from consumer co-ops where members do nothing more than elect boards of governors every few years to fully worker-run co-ops where shop floor decisions are subject to democratic deliberation. At their best, co-ops ensure new technology is implemented quickly but work is redistributed so that jobs are not lost.

...Next there is “municipal and locally-led” ownership. This broad category includes everything from community shops to farmers’ markets and development trusts to social enterprises. Many of these are halfway houses between capitalist enterprise and direct economic democracy. The important fact is that they are responsive to their communities, are limited, partially or totally, in using profits for anything other than reinvestment in the community, and have broader social or environmental goals.

Democratize This

rickyb

one of my supervisors jokes about being a dictator. some people make the connection between capitalism and tyranny alot easier than others.

we have slave mentality on my job. most guys just listen to the corporate mind numbing radio, or satellite which is a mild improvement although not really politically. but the major problem is alot of guys (especially the east indians) work pretty fast AND are on hte supervisors plantation even though he is a chronic liar and probably racist too.

if they didnt have slave mentality, they would sign a petition to get rid of him, and have solidarity with the workers who have been jerked around by the company including working much slower.

"
So you have two types of Negro. The old type and the new type. Most of you know the old type. When you read about him in history during slavery he was called "Uncle Tom." He was the house Negro. And during slavery you had two Negroes. You had the house Negro and the field Negro.

The house Negro usually lived close to his master. He dressed like his master. He wore his master's second-hand clothes. He ate food that his master left on the table. And he lived in his master's house--probably in the basement or the attic--but he still lived in the master's house.

So whenever that house Negro identified himself, he always identified himself in the same sense that his master identified himself. When his master said, "We have good food," the house Negro would say, "Yes, we have plenty of good food." "We" have plenty of good food. When the master said that "we have a fine home here," the house Negro said, "Yes, we have a fine home here." When the master would be sick, the house Negro identified himself so much with his master he'd say, "What's the matter boss, we sick?" His master's pain was his pain. And it hurt him more for his master to be sick than for him to be sick himself. When the house started burning down, that type of Negro would fight harder to put the master's house out than the master himself would." - malcolm x

rickyb

maybe america's most popular marxist, richard wolff monthly economic update.

you can start to free your mind and learn about your personal capitalist predicament and america's broader capitalist crisis.

rickyb

Plus med, dental, pension? We also get legal services, minimal savings plan, and 3-6 hours bonus a week (depending on the route)
i dont know about that stuff. we already have healthcare here; but it would reduce the cost of over the counter drugs. i remember a sucker, i mean driver telling me that they have a pension here.

its too bad america isnt enlightened enough to have a higher unionization rate. because then i would recommend all UPS driver go to local union shops and ask what other union jobs they can get besides UPS. i was very lucky to stumble upon a union job which on average pays $5 less per hour than UPS and has no heavy lifting, no long work days, 3/4 of them are not physically demanding at all and 1 of them is a little physically demanding and alot of the positions have alot of downtime. alot of the time at my job people are on their phone on the internet.

Last edited:

rickyb

michael hudson and max keiser talk about union history including the mafia being involved in america, wall street liking the idea of hiring marxists because they are very familiar with exploitation and thats all wall street does according to hudson, etc

rickyb

maybe america's most popular marxist, richard wolff monthly economic update.

you can start to free your mind and learn about your personal capitalist predicament and america's broader capitalist crisis.

in this update, they talk about $6600 flight suites not flight seats, off shore tax havens, corporate taxes, the rise of china and russia, and at the end theres some darkness about rumours that the military might not follow trumps order to invade north korea and what that may mean for trump.

rickyb

Meagan Day‏Verified account @meaganmday 19h19 hours ago

thisisfine.jpg

DOSqJaWVQAAGeAA.jpg

rickyb

yesterday i was a little stunned to hear that my workplace is the only one in canada which is unionized.

i think you can measure a country's understanding of economics by their unionization rate or maybe how oppressive their labour laws are.