I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

I don't call 300-400k all that much. If I send the wife to work I could be one of the elite? That is just upper middle class. Many of these people till shop at Walmart/target and are frugal with their money. (with the exception of the millennials) I thought the 1% movement was talking like 5mil +.
if your making 300k income, your rich in my books.

this is a few years old now, its even worse now, and by 2021 i believe the top 1% will own 70% of all wealth.

Ricky,

Many people "predicted" the housing bubble. I had 2 homes at the time, but did not participate in the housing bubble. The housing bubble was not a surprise. unlike what some people want you to believe. There is always a buyer and a seller. Why do you think you must be an adult to enter into a contract? It's grown up stuff, one needs to be responsible, do their own due diligence.

There is a saying, you may have never heard, "everything is for sale". Ex. My home id not on the market. If you knock on my door and offer me 600k, I would not be interested. But if you offer me 750k. Come on in, let's talk. You want the 35 ft boat @45k, no. 70k? I'm listening.

if your making 300k income, your rich in my books.

this is a few years old now, its even worse now, and by 2021 i believe the top 1% will own 70% of all wealth.

Ok, that's why we differ... I started at ups at a young age, everything I have now originated from the money earned at ups. For that reason, I have the "pull yourself by the bootstraps" mentality. Just your average privileged corporate brat I guess. THANK YOU CORPORATE AMERICA.

rickyb

Ricky,

Many people "predicted" the housing bubble. I had 2 homes at the time, but did not participate in the housing bubble. The housing bubble was not a surprise. unlike what some people want you to believe. There is always a buyer and a seller. Why do you think you must be an adult to enter into a contract? It's grown up stuff, one needs to be responsible, do their own due diligence.

There is a saying, you may have never heard, "everything is for sale". Ex. My home id not on the market. If you knock on my door and offer me 600k, I would not be interested. But if you offer me 750k. Come on in, let's talk. You want the 35 ft boat @45k, no. 70k? I'm listening.
everything is not for sale.

rickyb

for starters, theres things i wouldnt do even if you paid me.

more broadly the philosophy is called "intrinsic value" and 1989 is referencing the "commodification of everything". so you can look those terms up along with my favorite economists / political theorists for more.

rickyb

Ok, that's why we differ... I started at ups at a young age, everything I have now originated from the money earned at ups. For that reason, I have the "pull yourself by the bootstraps" mentality. Just your average privileged corporate brat I guess. THANK YOU CORPORATE AMERICA.
standards of living improved under slavery as well...thats of course not justification for it.

rickyb

Ricky,

tomorrow ill post a max keiser video or article on the pension crisis.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
UPS probably won't get enough to sell.
Perhaps, but in a way a merger is the same as a sale. Seems mergers are a staple of our economy lately, the days of people being against monopolies is over, one corporation to rule them all. Banking, media, transportation, food, it's all down to a few key players that run the show.

I think it's great that you made out well at UPS, but corporations are destroying the middle class, and their drive to consolidate their power is only going to step up the pace.

rickyb

Perhaps, but in a way a merger is the same as a sale. Seems mergers are a staple of our economy lately, the days of people being against monopolies is over, one corporation to rule them all. Banking, media, transportation, food, it's all down to a few key players that run the show.

I think it's great that you made out well at UPS, but corporations are destroying the middle class, and their drive to consolidate their power is only going to step up the pace.
theyre destroying the environment as well, also big government.

for starters, theres things i wouldnt do even if you paid me.

more broadly the philosophy is called "intrinsic value" and 1989 is referencing the "commodification of everything". so you can look those terms up along with my favorite economists / political theorists for more.
Don't be such a prude.

I live a corporate life. A corporation runs my community. Water company, marina,clubhouse/pool,etc. each property has 1 share in the corporation. 7 BOD, monthly board meetings, annual general meeting. Proxies were mailed out yesterday. One could buy all 800 properties and control a good chunk of the county.

from 2000-2016 median household income for non elderly fell 5%, and including elderly fell 2.3%

wonderful capitalism.
Strange my income inceased by over 60%. And social security increased by more than 38% excluding the years 2000 and 2016.

rickyb

chris hedges gets interviewed in this one. i think chris hedges is my favorite, followed by richard wolffs never ending bashing of capitalisms poor outcomes.

Economic Update with Guest Chris Hedges | KPFA

at some point chris hedges mentions how 95% of all court cases never go to trial, they just end up in plea bargains. you can best believe 95% of people who accept plea bargains are not guilty. so why no trials?

my explanation is that the rich have most of the money and dont want to pay taxes. everyone else doesnt really have much money, and dont want to pay taxes. the government depends on both to get elected in your rigged corporate democracy".

so what happens is the government borrows (from the rich, which they make money off of), and cuts programs which is called austerity, or whatever that orwellian american term for it was. so essentially your justice system has been severely cut over time. what would be interesting is what percentage ended up in trials in the past.

i wouldnt be suprised if its at all time lows since the great depression. even though you have record wealth creation in america, the economy distributes it so unevenly that im guessing things are real bad in terms of trials.

Last edited: