I Have A Bad Feeling

Well....I went in today for my second interview. I did the tour, went to the Hiring Center, & today I did my second interview. They basically asked me some basic questions and said that if I were selected that someone would be calling me. There were a lot of prospects the day I went in for the tour, but to be frank...I thought that I would get the job. I am a hard worker and I thought that my chances were really good.

What makes me even sicker is that a family member also was there today and they had an interview that I think went really well. I haven't spoken to them...but I have the impression that they were hired on the spot. Is it because my interview was 10 minutes after theirs and they really don't want relatives working in the same hub at the same time? Are my chances pretty much blown because of that? I tried to log into my account on ups and it won't even let me log on to view my Job Inquires.

I am having a really crappy week to start with, now I am so depressed...I want to cry!

:sad:

HazMatMan

Well....I went in today for my second interview. I did the tour, went to the Hiring Center, & today I did my second interview. They basically asked me some basic questions and said that if I were selected that someone would be calling me. There were a lot of prospects the day I went in for the tour, but to be frank...I thought that I would get the job. I am a hard worker and I thought that my chances were really good.

What makes me even sicker is that a family member also was there today and they had an interview that I think went really well. I haven't spoken to them...but I have the impression that they were hired on the spot. Is it because my interview was 10 minutes after theirs and they really don't want relatives working in the same hub at the same time? Are my chances pretty much blown because of that? I tried to log into my account on ups and it won't even let me log on to view my Job Inquires.

I am having a really crappy week to start with, now I am so depressed...I want to cry!

:sad:

I had 3, yes 3 brothers working in my building.. Why are you depressed?? Not getting a job at UPS might be the best thing to happen to you..

txmomof2b2g

You must have alot of relatives that jump aboard everytime you think about UPS. I do believe you had a similar situation about the driver helper job and you declined the job because of a relative? I think next time I wouldn't tell anybody that you are applying. Their pretty relaxed now about relatives working in the same.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Their pretty relaxed now about relatives working in the same.

Agreed...my brother and I worked in the same hub for about a month before I quit UPS to go away to school. I was on the primary, he was a loader. I told him to tell the training supervisors where I was based and they were surprised he did. He was told he could work on the same primary, just had to be a different area. I helped his dock once or twice as "spot help" (emergency help) and the first time I did, I balked at the request because I thought I couldn't work there period. The p/t'er called two friend/t sups over and they waved it off, said I could help. I still looked doubtful so the senior friend/t'er said he'd talk to HR and get a clarification for next time but for this time, he'd take personal responsibility if there was disciplinary action. He found me the next day and said it was OK to spot help on that dock anytime. Moral of the story: don't worry about it unless you have personal problems with this or these relatives. Now, I'm not sure of the policy where one of the relatives is a member of p/t management. Anyone? -Rocky

txmomof2b2g

Now, I'm not sure of the policy where one of the relatives is a member of p/t management. Anyone? -Rocky

Here there is actually a married couple who are both p/t sups.

txmomof2b2g

I don't know how to make a quote from another post. But I have a question for ya.. after I decided to read the post that you have wrote. You said in one about uniform questions on the second page that you decided not to do the driver helper because seemed like it would to hard for you.
And so what has changed your mind? I mean there isn't 1 easy job to start out at UPS its all very physical. I am sure you read and searched the post out. It takes 2 weeks to work through the soreness. If you already have doubt then you won't make it. This job you have to have endurance (sp?) .

Tyler Durden

Enlightend
The next time you feel like complaining to your chaplain or your lover about how miserable your life is, be thankful you are not cursed with these three terrible Karmas--Beauty, Riches and Fame.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

That's strange...unless they were married after becoming p/t sups. Even then, I'd think UPS would have a problem with it under the "Family in Management Policy." I've posted on this topic recently. -Rocky

Ms Spoken

I have an in-law that is also a driver in my center. There are no problems since I did marry after I was working for UPS

Ok now back on the thread at hand. If you really want to work for UPS then show up, make phone calls that show that your interested. Fill out another form form UPS Global Home and keep doing so until you get your foot in the door. Good Luck and keep us posted .:thumbup1:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I have an in-law that is also a driver in my center. There are no problems since I did marry after I was working for UPS

Ms Spoken, I believe the problem UPS has is with management members being related. I've never heard of problems in the hourly (inside or driving) groups. A guy I work with told me that less than 10 years ago, he'd heard of people being walked out of the hub training class after the trainers asked, "Anyone have family working for UPS?" The "no-relatives period policy" was stupid then and the family in management policy is in need of review now. -Rocky

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I too think the rule is outdated. Why else did they start asking us for refferals, especially within the family. Work ethic is hereditary. when they have one, they want a clone. We have a father and son, and brothers.

dillweed

This is going to sound harsh but I have to say it. If you feel like crying just because you didn't get hired on the spot then UPS is no place for you.

It's a harsh company to work for and no one is going to kiss your ass to keep your feelings from being hurt.

Best if you don't get hired. I'm sure you're a great person and good worker but sounds like you are pretty sensitive. Take a job in a kinder atmosphere and don't even do this to yourself. Best of luck and I mean no harm. dw

Hello-

Thank you all for your replies!

This is the same person who applied and got hired as a Seasonal Driver. She got back in as a package handler.

I had an operation and have been feeling better. Back when I was trying to apply for a position, I was in bad physical shape. I have since really improved myself and have some health issues under control.

I can be a senstive person, no doubt about it. I think I am just more upset because I feel like I've been defeated yet again by this person who has tried to interfere in my life in more ways than one!

When I signed on today it says that my application status is "On File." Does that mean anything? Do I wait for a call? Do I call them?

Thank you for your help. I do have the physical ability (now) to handle this job...but I think I am just overstressed lately and feel like no matter how hard I try...I am always coming out last.

It'll be ok..I know. There are other things for me to do! I guess I should think positive though. They might call...

txmomof2b2g

If the application was set to on file from active then your chances are very very slim, unless you go and talk to the HR manager and find out what the interviewer told them.
But if there is that much jealousy built up between you and that relative and they can sense that they will not hire you and nor should you even want to work there. Sounds like you have alot of issues to work out. What are your plans that you want to work at UPS this badly? Is it just nail that person that you had complained about wearing the uniform while off duty? ( which I am assuming now probably was that relative wearing the browns off duty).

Hello-
How would I go about talking to the HR person? Who would that be?
They would know nothing of the jealousy or any problems between us. When we're together it is all "good & fine." Yes, this is the person who had on the uniform and rubbed it in my face while my son was in the hospital.

I want to work for UPS because I am a hard worker and with a family, the benefits are great. I have a husband with a mental disability, so I have to work. I am trying to find a good, solid company to get with.

I am not trying to beat this person out or anything. I just get upset that I feel defeated and that from what I've read on here, if you can "walk & chew gum at the same time" that you'll get hired.

Not sure what I did wrong!

HazMatMan

Now, I'm not sure of the policy where one of the relatives is a member of p/t management. Anyone? -Rocky

3 brothers working in my building, one became a sup, one became a driver, the other one i'm not sure..

ups_vette

3 brothers working in my building, one became a sup, one became a driver, the other one i'm not sure..

Back in the early 80s, in the Philadelphia Districe, there were two brothers working for UPS, both in Feeder Management. One was an on-road Manager and the other brother was a Dispatch Manager. The practice of having family members working for UPS, although not a common practice,, did happen especially in Philly, as far back as the late 50s and early 60s.