I might quit, though I dont want to.

705red

Browncafe Steward
When you work part time here, you have to have a second part time job. Eventually the money is going to start flowing toward you at UPS. Don't be a fool and leave early if you know you can handle the job.

I'm on my 14th year and making more money than any other college dropout I know.
And more than alot of college graduates that we know too!

satellitedriver

When you work part time here, you have to have a second part time job. Eventually the money is going to start flowing toward you at UPS. Don't be a fool and leave early if you know you can handle the job.

I'm on my 14th year and making more money than any other college dropout I know.
Just as an aside, I make more than many lawyers and even doctors I know.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Just as an aside, I make more than many lawyers and even doctors I know.

That says alot! I can think of one idiot doc whom doesn't deserve to be making minimum wage, much less cutting people open. But that's a different thread.

Just remember money isn't everything. One of the keys to life is finding work that you like doing and enjoy it.

Bingo!!! I enjoy doing what I do but I'm not naive enough to think I'll want to OR be able to do this for the rest of my life. I have an appointment to speak to my supervisor this week about starting an MBA on my college employer's dime. We'll see what she has to say. -Rocky

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
And more than alot of college graduates that we know too!

Just remember money isn't everything. One of the keys to life is finding work that you like doing and enjoy it.

These people have said it all in a nutshell, now, you just have to make a decision. Choose wisely!

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
Haha, very good news. There was another restaurant (fastfood) opening up near the AppleBees. Its called "El Pollo Loco" and the guy told me its the first one in NJ. Well, I handed in my application and the guy interviewed me a bit. He asked me if I'll be keeping my UPS job and I said yes. He then asked me questions about the job and it seemed like he though it was somewhat interesting.

He asked me if I have ever dealt with a customer, and I said not directly. I then told him that it could be my fault if a customer doesnt get their item shipped on time (Missorts), he asked me what happens if one gets too many missorts (I told him you get terminated/fired) which then led him to believe "He's not fired yet, so he probably hasn't gotten a lot of missorts". Everything went well, and he called me back for a 2nd interview which is tomorrow. Hopefully everything goes well. I applied full time for the times 9am-5pm. The place doesnt open until Jan 12th, so peak season should be over by then. Then I will go to UPS at regular times..from 5:30-6pm.

Also, I honestly hated UPS at first, I just got fed up and bored. Now I actually enjoy it for some unknown reason. The work is easy as cake. I also just reached the 3 month period so I got my first .50 raise, although my paystub says I make $9.50. It had said that for 2 checks so far, should I ask my P/T Sup if its a mistake? Im still paying the Union off..half way there..Im at $170, about 2 months more and no more $20 off my check! My P/T Sup also said I'm on top of things and I should get promoted, that I'll be a good P/T Sup, I just need a little intensity,..heh. Though I'm pretty sure that was just talk..meh..it felt good to feel appreciated..somewhat <.<

brother in brown

WOW-Things must be different in the area that you live, I cant think of one person even if they hated ups that would leave it for a job at applebees. Having a job with ups in my community is very respected. Hell, even having a person that works for ups deliver a package to someones house is looked highly upon. :)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I basically wanted to work for UPS for the money (Yes, I know, the money is horrible for the work you do). I've only been working there 3 months and would still like to keep at it, though I've been offered a better job at a restaurant. I get paid $9.50/hr plus its full time. The con to it is I get paid bi-weekly. I will definitely get paid a little more than double of what I currently make at UPS.

I really dont want to quit UPS, because the job has become a piece of cake for me, and I get along with the workers, FT/PT Sup. Plus if I complete my year being there, I'll be at $9.50 with benefits, though I'll most likely be at $10.50 with some benefits at the restaurant.

If I quit UPS, will I ever be able to return or will they never want me back?

I consider P/T Union hourly to P/T supervisor a demotion, but you see it how you want :p

Babagounj

Strength through joy
El Pollo Loco I've been meaning to try that place, heard they serve a spicy chicken.

Working there will be a step up from p/t sup. ( which is the lowest position in all of ups )

gandydancer

El Pollo Loco I've been meaning to try that place, heard they serve a spicy chicken.

Working there will be a step up from p/t sup. ( which is the lowest position in all of ups )

Pt paid $8/hr in 1980. $9.50 an hour now is what, $3 then? And no benefits, anymore. So it's hard to be lower than a new pt hire. It gets worse and worse to be one with each new contract. But management still can't fire you after you make seniority for letting them know you think they're jackasses, as long as you don't say so in so many words (and even if you do). As pt supe you get to eat ****** and act like you like it, but the Union path to decent money is longer than ever. And pt supe may get to driving faster than pt as 1-of-8, with maybe a better attitude from the on-boards towards letting them make it.

opsys

He Who Feeds The Beast
Don't stop moving forward. If you love exactly what it is you do all day, then more power to you. But be wary of doing anything for the money. Its a lesson many of us have had to learn the hard way.