I need some advice please!

TungFang

Hello, Everyone I got the Job, I'm now a UPS lifer and I had a important question. I do a great job at unloading, fastest tmie so far 45 mins on a 100% trailer. however my one fault is i don't know when to put my rollers in, could you give me any tips or advice on how to be more efficent when putting my rollers in and when to put them in and how to be the fastest unloader I can be. Please give me some constructive critisisim and advice I just wan't to be fast and perfect, but I know it takes time. Perfect practice makes perfect. Thank anyone willing to help me out.

finaddict

No-one can add to what BrownRodster said. Work safe! You will not win any awards. An extra gatorade and a pat on the back will do absolutely nothing for you in your hopes of "moving up". You may be injured and have to hire a workmans comp attorney though. Is it really worth it at 8 bucks an hour? As he said WORK SAFE!

Pollocknbrown

What they said, i recently started, i learned REALLY FAST that going as fast humanly possible wasn't the best, a happy medium was nice, kept the SUPs happy for not going to slow and slow enough so i didnt piss off the sorters, atleast the ones cared, 50% dont care as long as they go home ASAP. But working safe is definately a better idear then trying to go as fast as possible at the cost of ur back, knees and other stuff like that. Because if ur knees and back cannot take it, you won't be a lifer for long

xDELETEDx

When I'm unloading or showing newbies the ropes in unload, I use the 2 step rule: If you have to take more than 2 steps, it's too far away. The further the rollers are from you, the more time you have to spend moving to and from the rollers. Basically, if theres more than about 3-4' betwen the boxes and the rollers, then get another roller in there.

Upslady20

I would mark it off with my feet how far in the first roller sits. Then mark for the second roller. When I did my next full load I would know when I can put in the roller without it being too close to the load. Then work unitl I hit the next mark and then get the next roller.
Good luck just work at a steady pace.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Tungface,
Everyone above gave excellent advice. You shouldn't be trying to work too fast and hurt yourself, just work at a good, steady pace. One thing that I would add, if you are in a spot where you can see the Primary Sorter, you can adjust your speed to them. It does no good to bury the Sorter with boxes that will fall off the belt and cause missorts all over the building.

Pollocknbrown

ha ha easy for you people in my hub, we dont have rollers for the unloaders, we have conveyors, and they dont reach the end of the trailers (atleast the full size trailers (not sure of the specific length of them)). and only 3 doors out of 20 have a roller extender that can be affixed to the end of the conveyor...... sucks of us, we end up chucking the boxes the 10 ft distance or either collapsing all the walls left and just getting as much as possible as close as possible to the conveyor.

TungFang

The roller advice sounds excellent, I'm going to rey and go with that, and work at a steady, and safe pace. You all made a excellent point.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
Hello, Everyone I got the Job, I'm now a UPS lifer and I had a important question. I do a great job at unloading, fastest tmie so far 45 mins on a 100% trailer. however my one fault is i don't know when to put my rollers in, could you give me any tips or advice on how to be more efficent when putting my rollers in and when to put them in and how to be the fastest unloader I can be. Please give me some constructive critisisim and advice I just wan't to be fast and perfect, but I know it takes time. Perfect practice makes perfect. Thank anyone willing to help me out.

are you high on something? you set the world record in unload one day, and they gonna expect that everyday.

upsgrunt

are you high on something? you set the world record in unload one day, and they gonna expect that everyday.

I kind of agree! You set the bar pretty high for yourself and you need to remember that you are still on the new hire high. Eventually you won't have that same euphoric feeling about the career as you had in the beginning. Not to say it hasn't been good for me, but the longer I'm there, it takes more convincing of both my mind and body how much I enjoy it!:wink:

xDELETEDx

ha ha easy for you people in my hub, we dont have rollers for the unloaders, we have conveyors, and they dont reach the end of the trailers (atleast the full size trailers (not sure of the specific length of them)). and only 3 doors out of 20 have a roller extender that can be affixed to the end of the conveyor...... sucks of us, we end up chucking the boxes the 10 ft distance or either collapsing all the walls left and just getting as much as possible as close as possible to the conveyor.

Trade ya hubs, our rollers are so old and decrepit that the last 15 or 20 feet of the trailer is a pushup fest. You can rest your entire body weight on the boxes on the rollers and they barely budge. I'd take chucking boxes a few feet over that crap.

TungFang

Yeah but what choice do you have if you dont set the bar high, then they will find someone who does right ? not to mention I need this job, I can't be replaced, and I want to show some character and work ethic.

RozUPS

When I get to the end of the belt, I'll usually finish the row I'm working on and then get the rollers. Work at a brisk,steady safe pace. Like other say the faster you are the harder you'll work. Don't pick up those 100# irregs. Lower the belt and roll them on. If you want to be a lifer you better take care of your self now and not get hurt. Good luck

upsgrunt

Yeah but what choice do you have if you dont set the bar high, then they will find someone who does right ? not to mention I need this job, I can't be replaced, and I want to show some character and work ethic.

At UPS you don't show character and work ethics by setting world records; show up for work on time everyday, do what they ask you to do, set an example by working safely, and keep your mouth shut. By setting the world record in unloading feeders your first week, you are showing UPS what they will expect, and then some. You might not have noticed yet, but no matter how fast you are now, UPS will expect more out of you later. It is a fine line that you must walk. I admire your attitude and efforts; in fact I applaud you, but I just want you to have the "big picture" and to know what happens down the line. GOOD LUCK and keep up the good work!:thumbup1: