I screwed up and I don’t know if I can fix this :( :(

She's got at least a couple suspensions before getting canned.

@FutureNurse, just keep going in, you're most likely going to be ok. Make sure you're getting your guaranteed pay, and tell your bf you get paid a minimum amount no matter how many hours you actually work.

Talk to a steward, they can help you figure out if you've been shorted any pay. If so they can help you get any back pay you might be owed. Also have them explain to you where you stand as far as discipline is concerned.
why is it that I always hear how useless these stewards are and yet on this forum they are seemingly capable of anything

542thruNthru

why is it that I always hear how useless these stewards are and yet on this forum they are seemingly capable of anything.

You might have bad ones. Also sometimes people want them to work miracles and then complain about it when they can’t.

Don’t trust the gossip. Find out for yourself if they are any good or not.
Well said @Red Devil

Also sometimes members assume that stewards are in managements pocket because they get less stops or don't get screwed with.

This is because they know their contract well and enforce it. So management like all bullies would rather mess with someone that doesn't stick up for themselves.

Most members don't want to take it as far as a steward so they falter before accomplishing their goal to get management off their back. We all work under the same rules. You just have to be willing to fight.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
why is it that I always hear how useless these stewards are and yet on this forum they are seemingly capable of anything
Some are better than others. Depends on the local sometimes too. I had great stewards. Fearless, and they knew the contract. But the most important thing was they knew how to deal with management and knuckleheaded teamsters too.

You might have bad ones. Also sometimes people want them to work miracles and then complain about it when they can’t.

Don’t trust the gossip. Find out for yourself if they are any good or not.
At least to my knowledge its all gossip as I haven't seen a single steward that I'm aware of but have heard this from several people unfortunately. even still, I'll keep this mind

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
At least to my knowledge its all gossip as I haven't seen a single steward that I'm aware of but have heard this from several people unfortunately. even still, I'll keep this mind

Something to keep in mind, if you have a problem, be proactive and get your steward involved. I don't know how many times I've been Shanghaied on my way in to or off if work to represent someone with no time to prepare. We have full time+ jobs and are stewards on top of that, we aren't going to be aware of everything going on.

When people come to me with questions about the contract, I ask them to let me know if that provision is being violated.

542thruNthru

Something to keep in mind, if you have a problem, be proactive and get your steward involved. I don't know how many times I've been Shanghaied on my way in to or off if work to represent someone with no time to prepare. We have full time+ jobs and are stewards on top of that, we aren't going to be aware of everything going on.

When people come to me with questions about the contract, I ask them to let me know if that provision is being violated.
My steward complains the most about members not giving him the whole story even though he asks repeatedly before going inside the office. Then being blindsided by something because the member didn't want to tell him.

We are our own worst enemies most times it sounds like.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.

My steward complains the most about members not giving him the whole story even though he asks repeatedly before going inside the office. Then being blindsided by something because the member didn't want to tell him.

We are our own worst enemies most times it sounds like.
That in turn is why they come here...

They want to feed the same bs story and get a coddled response to make them get that warm cuddly feeling.

Then we are the bad guys when we ask for the whole story.

Sad turn of events.

K20A

Ditch the BF. Go on stress leave for 9 months. Come back and demand your 3.5. If they want to lay people off they have to do it by seniority.

hhhh

To be fair, this is only an issue in my facility and possibly a few others. I would ask you not to take it personally when people attack stewards as a whole, even though that is easier said then done

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
look-what-i-can-do-swing.gif