I think I'm screwed

Sarazega

I became a driver about 8 months ago, off of preload for 5 years. I am a "cover driver" and in these 8 months Ive only been trained on one route. Which is the the only route Ive been covering. So in other words, Im stil lworking Preload 75% of the time. Now our on-car supervisor quit and the managment left in the building has no experience with any of these routes to do any kind of training.

How does new managment train drives on runs if they dont know the routes them selves? Im thinkin I will be givin a truck and a map and told. "Drive safe" lucky if I get a map.
Should I even bother asking my building supervisor If I can go out on with some drivers to train on their routes? Do they alllow that in any centers you guys are out of?

Thanks in advance for any help that comes my way.

over9five

Staff member
No you cannot go out with another hourly. We tried that in the past and it worked so well that we had to put a stop to it. (UPS logic).

Get ready to go out blind! TAKE YOUR TIME. Call in right before you take lunch, and tell them how many businesses you are going to miss.

Good luck, and enjoy the OT.

palguy

yeah, over9five is correct. However, they supposedly cannot hold you accountable for anything that goes awry if your out on a route blind. Your hub doesn't want you going out blind anymore than you do.

aspenleaf

The cover drivers we have all have very detailed maps of the area and they are usually on trace. Good luck to you.

Overpaid Union Thug

Sarezega...I'm in the same situation. I work the local sort though and not preload. I know one route and pieces of others. We don't have "PAS" so we are old school when it comes to learning routes. According to management you should be able to run a route you know nothing about as long as you have a map and if you follow the methods you learned in the driving school. In a way they are right. You should be able to start with the top right shelf (on the passenger side) and sort those packages into the order you choose according to the map. You are supposed to be able to work through all the sections of the truck (while checking the floor too). But of course in the real world it is not quite that simple. Especially for routes that are mostly residential. One of the things that makes it hard is preloaders. Preloaders make or break ya. The ones that just throw the packages into their sections according to the load chart are the ones that kill me. Some will actually halfway put them in order by street and some even by number. I like those guys. For me the hardest thing about being a part time cover driver is that I'll get to drive in spurts and as soon as I start learning an area I wont drive for a few weeks, or more, and pretty much forget things. I got sick of it and finally decided to study a map of the sections of town I tend to get stuck with. It has helped allot. I suggest that. Believe it or not....working Saturdays helps too.

opie

Instead fumbling around with a map. Why not use a GPS navigation system? I recently bought a Garmin StreetPilot for my car. And it works very well. No more maps, asking for directions, or getting lost etc...I don't know whether UPS would allow drivers to use a GPS system such as TomTom or Garmin.

Sarazega

I just hope that when the day comes and I have to go out blind. That Ive worked 5 hours on pre-load already. Then maybe Ill just get a half of days work. I'd rather go out blind then go out with a supervisor breathing down my neck. I have maps, but they are worthless to me. I dont know how to read, or darn I left my glasses at home. Just some of the excuses I might come up with if I they stick me with a route I have to run blind.
Yeah, a gps would come in handy. We already have one in our diad. Now I see we have reverse counters. Everytime we go in reverse it counts one. I saw our shop mechanic taking them out of the reverse light bulb this morning. Whats next?

palguy

When I've done routes I always worked the preload first so that really saved may ass! Make sure you keep calling the center and let them know that at so and so time you will hit your 14th hour so you need to be back at the hub. Don't get caught driving over 14. I think it's like a 10K fine for you and a 10K fine for UPS.

Sarazega

A fine for me if I work over 14 hours.? Thats crazy. Who makes these rules and who enforces it? I never heard about that before.

palguy

Sarazega said:
A fine for me if I work over 14 hours.? Thats crazy. Who makes these rules and who enforces it? I never heard about that before.

You can work over 14 hours, you just cant be driving after 14. It is either an OSHA or DOT law. I'm sure somebody knows. If you get into an accident, it is thoroughly investigated. The D.O.T. may check your hours, your truck, check if you did a pre-trip, and give you a piss test.

F

Fredlyxxx

can't remember my password.

But I've only been formally trained on one route.(and I only drove that for one month)

all others I have gone out blind,
I know about 8 routes total now(thats in one year)

browniehound

You're better off knowing less, that way they can't friend--- you ass hard. I know about 20 routes and I get friend----- at every turn. "yeah brownie helped so and so out one day, he knows his route" My motto is "the less you know, brother!"

If a driver is willing to pay for his or her own portable GPS, I don't see why a manager would have a problem. Products made by Garmin and Tom Tom are still rather expensive, but are very helpful. It's a lot of fun driving with a navigation system. All of your options are right in front of you.

I have Google Map software downloaded to my BlackBerry, but it's not a GPS system -- I still have to figure out my location on the map. I can get maps for the entire US on the BlackBerry, however.

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
The way to get around all that is to take your lunch and not race around like a maniac! If at 2:00 pm you still have 80 stops left then stop call your center and let them know. Then at 5:00 pm if they haven't helped you call and ask them what time you need to be off the clock by. Be in by that time and sheet every thing you didn't get to as missed.