I tried...

brown_trousers

Tried talking to a couple of part timers today about the contract. It didnt go well. Here are the highlights:

"Why would we ever go driving, that job sucks"

"Why would we support you guys. (Full timers) you havent been supporting us"

"Do you guys ever stop complaining about crap"

"All we want is a raise"

Its kinda difficult to sell them the "no" vote, they are just not interested in driving or combo work. How do you guys spread the word at your centers?

542thruNthru

Tried talking to a couple of part timers today about the contract. It didnt go well. Here are the highlights:

"All we want is a raise"

Its kinda difficult to sell them the "no" vote, they are just not interested in driving or combo work. How do you guys spread the word at your centers?

To be honest, every one of those responses sounds like someone who doesn't take the time to vote anyways.

I don't try to sell anything. I give the facts and my opinion. After that it's up to them.

A

Article 3

How do you guys spread the word at your centers?

They say our job sucks then they say all we do is complain. If they think our jobs sucks then they should expect complaints.

Then they complain that they want more money.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
They DO have a really crappy, high pressure, demanding job where they get berated for any mental mistake they might make at 4 in the morning.
Us drivers go through similar mental abuse, and there's no doubt to me that going out cold on a 10 hour planned day is about as hard as any job out there (and I've worked on cruise ships, construction sites and graveyard grocery shifts). But we also make a pretty damn good living and get to wake up and go to bed at normal, humane hours.
Let's face it, loaders/unloaders/local sort ARE underappreciated by basically everybody. Drivers with any type of senority claim that loading was somehow "harder" 20 years ago (despite the dramatic increase in volume). I hear that crap all the time and observe loaders being harrassed every day. These guys wake up at 230 am and bust their ass non stop for 4-6 hours with 1 15 minute break, then go to their other jobs. I can't blame them for being annoyed with some driver telling them what they should and shouldn't think.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I'm always really cool to my loader, whoever it may be, even if they suck and the truck looks like crap. I remember those long crappy peak nights and it's really, really easy to make a suggestion to them WITHOUT being a jerk about it. If they don't try to work with you, hey, you get paid well to fix their mistakes on the clock, and have a legit excuse if you get whined at by a sup for overallowed.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I'm always really cool to my loader, whoever it may be, even if they suck and the truck looks like crap. I remember those long crappy peak nights and it's really, really easy to make a suggestion to them WITHOUT being a jerk about it. If they don't try to work with you, hey, you get paid well to fix their mistakes on the clock, and have a legit excuse if you get whined at by a sup for overallowed.
Loading definitely is a very difficult demanding and thankless job. I loaded well over 20 years ago and it was very hard then too but here’s something to think about. I started at $9.25 and at that point minimum wage was $4.25. Think about that, more than twice what minimum wage was. Today a loader in my building starts at what minimum wage is in my area. When I started UPS was a very prestigious job that was a long term career that required a top tier applicant. Now our building looks like an inner city youth outreach program gone wrong.

F

Frankie's Friend

Loading definitely is a very difficult demanding and thankless job. I loaded well over 20 years ago and it was very hard then too but here’s something to think about. I started at $9.25 and at that point minimum wage was $4.25. Think about that, more than twice what minimum wage was. Today a loader in my building starts at what minimum wage is in my area. When I started UPS was a very prestigious job that was a long term career that required a top tier applicant. Now our building looks like an inner city youth outreach program gone wrong.
And that's where we get out msnagement from.
Go figure.

llamainmypocket

Loading was the easiest job I did at UPS. I honestly felt guilty for how much they paid me to do it.

The job pushed me into a psychosis and they just ignored any medical needs I may have had and left me there to burn in hell. I know of another 2 people that were pushed into major seizures from the workload.

Indecisi0n

The job pushed me into a psychosis and they just ignored any medical needs I may have had and left me there to burn in hell. I know of another 2 people that were pushed into major seizures from the workload.
Because they are wrong. If you can't handle the work then just walk away.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

They actually tried to fire me because lost of sanity is apparently a working hazard, you know for me coworkers. Not one thought to my safety.

Physical labor.... caused a loss of sanity and psychosis ?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They actually tried to fire me because lost of sanity is apparently a working hazard, you know for me coworkers. Not one thought to my safety.
Was this before, or after, you became an air driver???

Mooseknuckle

"All we want is a raise"

I once was trying to teach my son about Knife safety. Couldn't get him to focus, gave up thinking he's too young to be near a blade. About a year later the scouts had him in a Knife safety class. He stood up and repeated everything I taught him the year prior verbatim. Blew me away.
When you talk with these people it WILL sound like you're whining. When they hear all drivers saying the same thing they'll see there is something legitimate to what you're saying. When they start to see how things are within this corporation they will remember what you say. Bells will go off. You ARE doing the right thing! Don't stop because it's frustrating. I know it's a completely different issue but, Imagine if Martin Luther King Thought this whole equality thing is a good idea but nobody's listening to me. Sounds to me like you ARE supporting them and they just don't see it yet.

Mooseknuckle

Tell them to look at the big picture. They don't want a union at all! They're taking steps to get rid of it all together. Like cutting down a tree they're attacking us little by little. We shouldn't be saying "Only three more chops for now" or "As long as they're chopping on the other side we'll be okay". The power of a union is in it's unity. They're trying to bring the whole tree down.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Here’s the issue with pre-load.....is it easier then it use to be. Comparing apples to apples I’d say yes. There’s zero thought for the most part as opposed to when I loaded we had to remember all the sequence numbers. However.....we also had on average a full 6 hours to do the job, generally loaded less trucks in your set and had the hidden advantage of pretty much doing the same routes daily seeing as most loaders could only memorize so many sequence numbers. So when you factor all of that into the equation.....it’s damn stressful. Furthermore seeing as they’ve truly convinced themselves of the “even a maroon” can do this job that they’ve seemingly gone out of their way to hire only morons which in itself hasn’t helped things.