i want my life back

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

and if enough people do that and that increased cost of turnover is cost prohibitive, then UPS will change the conditions
the people that quit will most likely be happier (but not necessarily)

Each of us is easily replaceable. Our concerns mean little and most certainly will not result in UPS changing any conditions.

upssup

Exactly my point. Do not risk your health, Customer complaints, job stress or most of all your family health, Quit. I was looking for a job when I found this one. Why is it always bad to say then quit. i am not doing it to be mean, if you put yourself out there on this forum looking for opinions you will get them, like them or not.

upssup

705red had the stones to call me a loser because I posted to tell the individual to quit, only to save his health, family and sanity. ***? Why would you do that.

Incongruity

Banned
705red had the stones to call me a loser because I posted to tell the individual to quit, only to save his health, family and sanity. ***? Why would you do that.

These stones are actually soft tissue.
Thus are you really saying Red is soft and full of reproductive fluid?

P

pickup

Integrity, Insincerity, Incongruity..... Incredible. Has the world been bombarded by "IN" rays and as a result, superhumans are emerging? Is this part of the quickening? Will these heroes save us in 2012? Are they even heroes? Can we expect a new company called "IN" comics to compete with Marvel And DC?

Only time will tell , true believers. Excelsior!

705red

Browncafe Steward

When someone reverts to telling someone to quit instead of attempting to fix a problem that means they either dont have the skills to fix it or are just a loser. I guess which is the same either way you look at it.

Are you not an automotive sup?

705red

Browncafe Steward

I sent you a kleenex, quit your crying! Whats next run to your boss and say the big bad union man called me a name?

Incongruity

Banned
Integrity, Insincerity, Incongruity..... Incredible. Has the world been bombarded by "IN" rays and as a result, superhumans are emerging? Is this part of the quickening? Will these heroes save us in 2012? Are they even heroes? Can we expect a new company called "IN" comics to compete with Marvel And DC?

Only time will tell , true believers. Excelsior!

While man has been provided a great deal of space above their shoulders to conduct brain activity unfortunately we often do most of our thinking below the belt. By wearing yellow spandex two sizes to small I am able to squeeze and channel my brain activity to provide you with valuable insight. The constriction of the spandex keeps me from straying across the fine line into lunancy. Well sometimes it does. well of course it does. where are all these feathers coming from. Somebody help me I ripped my spandex again. Holy moses my "brains" have shriveled up.

upssup

Bring it, don't sing it. I have dealt with bigger and badder than you and won every time. It is so funny how everything can be interpreted to benefit the "woe is me union guy" Give me a break. Your union doesn't do anything great except keep the turds floating with the hard workers. You have to work as directed, plain and simple. Do not worry about the thinking part we will take care of that for you. Again if you want to sit here and rant and rave about how bad UPS is to the poor union workers quit or go be a Business manager with the union other wise shut up and do your job!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Bring it, don't sing it. I have dealt with bigger and badder than you and won every time. It is so funny how everything can be interpreted to benefit the "woe is me union guy" Give me a break. Your union doesn't do anything great except keep the turds floating with the hard workers. You have to work as directed, plain and simple. Do not worry about the thinking part we will take care of that for you. Again if you want to sit here and rant and rave about how bad UPS is to the poor union workers quit or go be a Business manager with the union other wise shut up and do your job!

You are the one crying like a little school girl who just had her lunch money taken. Your in automotive, you are in charge of the oil cans and making spare keys, you should know your role in the food chain. Pm me any further posts that you would like to make and I will ok them for you. lol

Incongruity

Banned

You are the one crying like a little school girl who just had her lunch money taken. Your in automotive, you are in charge of the oil cans and making spare keys, you should know your role in the food chain. Pm me any further posts that you would like to make and I will ok them for you. lol

Notice the labor mating ritual taking place here. verbal copulation is soon to take place.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Once again,
If you do not like the hours, the conditions, the cold, the heat, the old cars, the whatever, QUIT!

Exactly my point. Do not risk your health, Customer complaints, job stress or most of all your family health, Quit. I was looking for a job when I found this one. Why is it always bad to say then quit. i am not doing it to be mean, if you put yourself out there on this forum looking for opinions you will get them, like them or not.

upssup,
I mean you no disrespect. You seem to want to be the best that you can be. I urge you to read pages 20 and 21 of the current UPS Policy Book. On these pages the corporate executives of UPS make claims as to the attention management employees should give employee concerns and the attitudes that they should take towards them. The corporate executives of UPS also claim that management wants to hear concerns and suggestions and the employee's point of view will be respected.

Management employees that give off the "if you don't like it quit attitude" with regards to concerns and questions, and you are not alone in this, are contributing to the growing reputation that the corporate executives of UPS are making false claims on paper as to how they do business and the real Policy of UPS with regards to concerns is "if you don't like it quit".

Read the pages and let me know what you think? Feel free to disagree.
Sincerely,
I

upssup

I personally do not subscribe to the "if you do not like it quit" theory, but you can only try so hard to deal with constant wining. I can talk to the individual if he works for me. i can talk to the persons supervisor if he does not. Some people are just looking for a reason to quit. We had a driver here that was just that. he would come down to automotive and whine to the mechancis and complain about how bad it is to the point that he is distraction to my mechanics, who by the way are happier now then thay have been in a while because they like my work hard, but have fun attitude, but when i have to get serious they respect that and do as I need them to do. When i have to hear the same driver complain every day. i tell them then quit, what else should i do hold their hand and tell them oh it wil get better when the reality s it more than likely will not get better. Not me.

News flash upssup nobody wins everytime I think your a big talker or a part -timer.

upssup

It is a two way street. Respect what I have to do and I will respect what you have to do, but do not whine to the point that you drive yourself to the point that you would quit. It is tough in this day and age to find another job that pays as well and pensions are a thing of the past. I wake up every morning thankful for what I have. Occasionally I have an issue with what I have to do but I take it behind closed doors with my manager, not air it out in front of who ever may be in the office.

upssup

Part timer? do not make me laugh. I work 9 to 10 hours a day, I get phone calls in the middle of the night. I have 12 mechanics and 14 extended centers that work for me and respect what I have to do, as I respect what they do. Big talker I do not think so. I walk the walk.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
upssup,
I mean you no disrespect. You seem to want to be the best that you can be. I urge you to read pages 20 and 21 of the current UPS Policy Book. On these pages the corporate executives of UPS make claims as to the attention management employees should give employee concerns and the attitudes that they should take towards them. The corporate executives of UPS also claim that management wants to hear concerns and suggestions and the employee's point of view will be respected.

Management employees that give off the "if you don't like it quit attitude" with regards to concerns and questions, and you are not alone in this, are contributing to the growing reputation that the corporate executives of UPS are making false claims on paper as to how they do business and the real Policy of UPS with regards to concerns is "if you don't like it quit".

Read the pages and let me know what you think? Feel free to disagree.
Sincerely,
I

Brown Cafe is not a medium for employees to express their complaints or desires to UPS management.
Nor is it a medium for UPS Management to reply to individual employees about their concerns.
Employees should address any concerns directly with their management or through the help line, after identifying themselves.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
reprinted with permission from packagecarunion.com
I want my life back.
I am a proud UPSer. I am the face of one of the most successful companies in the history of the planet. I am a proud Teamster, working at one of the largest union employers in the world. I have no interest in working for an anti-labor CEO like Fred S. I believe strongly in UPS and in unionism. UPS is a top corporate citizen and the “World’s most admired” delivery company. Organized labor and the Teamsters began in order to combat workplace abuses. Workers did excessive overtime and did not get to see their families. There was no safety in the workplace, endangering the workers, and there was favoritism and harassment.
One of the basic tenets for all labor agreements is the principle of “a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay”. We have strayed too far from that principle, and I want my life back.
Our National Master Agreement contains language that states: “Employer shall make reasonable effort to reduce package car drivers’ workdays below 9.5 hours per day”. It does not say “paid day” or “planned day”. It says “workday”. Punch in to punch out is my work day. When people discuss their typical workday, it’s 9 to 5, not 9 to 2 and 3 to 5. People don’t work 35 hours a week plus 5 hours in breaks, they work a 40 hour week. Paid or not, breaks are part of the workday.
Lunch and breaks are unpaid. Unpaid is not the same as off the job. We are told the parameters in which we are allowed to take our breaks, and there have even been several instances where UPS management tried to instruct employees exactly when to take their break. We are told that we are allowed no more than a mile off-route. We are still representing the company and still accountable for our actions. We can’t fight with or insult the customers simply because we are not being paid. We are still responsible for the vehicle, diad, equipment, and cargo. If we fall down and get hurt during lunch, we are still covered by Worker’s Compensation. When the NY state DOT instituted it’s 14 hour rule, they specifically included break time, punch in to punch out. By law and contract we have to take our breaks.
The 40 hour week is the basis for the contract language contained in Article 3 of our Supplemental Agreement. “The basic workweek should be 40 hours, consisting of 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. Employees may be required to work overtime”. If we work 40 hours in 4 days, we have met our commitment. If that is the case, Friday should be an optional workday. The contract mentions mandatory overtime at times, our building is operating with a plan of 9.2 hours on road. This translates to 1 ½ to 2 hours of mandatory overtime daily. They further exacerbate this by exceeding their own excessive standard, with drivers often punching out after 12 hours.
Our Local Sort starts at 6 o’clock, with a 3 ½ hour guarantee. With the vast majority of drivers returning after 7 o’clock, how can the Local Sort turn the work around for the outbound trailers? Drivers returning at 6:30, which is an actual 9 ½ hour workday, makes more sense and meshes with the Local Sort operation.
Overtime excesses rob the Union of both pension contributions, and jobs. Each center does roughly 100 overtime hours per day, sometimes while laying off drivers. UPS should be honoring their commitments and the Union should be demanding jobs. A “scheduled off” day does not contribute a pension credit. Excessive overtime tires out the drivers and limits the need for a 5th day’s pay. When the guys try to take off to allow the laid off drivers to work, we are trying to help our union brothers, and in fact we are helping to screw them. The Teamsters promote organizing to create more Teamster jobs. These Teamster jobs are right here. The excessive overtime is cutting out at least 8 full-time jobs in each center. As one of America’s top corporate citizens UPS has a responsibility to the public to try and create jobs. During this “global economic meltdown”, UPS made 2 billion dollars profit. Rather than helping to stimulate the economy by creating jobs, UPS chooses to reduce staffing and asks us to contribute more for our medical coverage and take a reduction in pension benefits. I want UPS to be successful, but UPS needs to share the success with the people that helped bring it.
We are not meeting customer expectations or our commitment to our customers. We guarantee the day of delivery and we do a good job of meeting expectations for our commercial stops, delivering by 5 o’clock, which is considered normal business hours. After the majority of workers have headed home, we are delivering our residential stops. People are having dinner, getting the kids ready for bed, winding down their day, and we are leaving boxes at their door. If we don’t make delivery by 6:30, we didn’t really meet our obligation.
Increases in overtime lead to more injuries and accidents. OSHA lists rushing, fatigue, and frustration as the top three causes of injuries and accidents. A typical day for one of my closest friends at work consists of waking at 6, followed by a shower, shave, getting the uniform ready, breakfast, then a 1 ½ hour drive to work. Through the guard booth, inside and upstairs to the locker room, then down to the pcm. Work until 7:30 or 8, back to locker room, then drive home. Dinner at 9:30, not considered healthy dinner time. The kids are in bed and the wife is exhausted from working her job and taking care of everything at home. Bed at 11:00, too late for a healthy 8 hours of sleep, and start all over again the next morning. Doing this for the month of December is understandable. Doing this as a way of life is unconscionable.
The growing frustration can be felt throughout UPS and the Locals. Forums and message boards across the country are full of these stories. Some Locals have even taken to renting planes to carry flyover messages and billboards to promote their mounting displeasure.
When unions began, workplace abuses were rampant. We created safety in the workplace and now it’s been stolen and used as a tool for harassment. I work to live, I don’t live to work. I want a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work. I don’t want my family life or my health destroyed. I want my life back.

I realize that it is my issue and I am probably missing out on some really good information, but I don't read these long non-paragraphed posts.
The same way at work. I get lengthy e-mails and I just delete them.
Can anyone summarize in a few lines what is being stated here?

I could just read it, but that is too much like work.

Thanks!