Ideal Degrees for Management

Degree doesn't matter unless you're going into the engineering disciplines (IE or PE). I'm sure computer science degrees will be popular for TSG pretty soon. There's a pretty clear trend going on with it (and like all things, even the good intention ones, they disregard the 'how' of practice for the 'what' of titles/results). For ops, however, they just care that you have a pulse and a degree.

Steamtrain

Hey all,

Recently, I planned on going into being a PT Sup for the tuition assistance. I have my bachelors degree in Cultural Anthropology and a minor in Economics (which essentially means what I studied was labor history).

Looking for Masters programs, I wanted to ask what kinds of degrees are UPS management usually looking for?

Would it be wise to continue my track and study sociology (possibly for a human resources application)?

Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

Don't listen to this people. They seem bitter that they didn't get further in life. Degree wise, nothing needed for PT sup. It is recommended you keep attending school. Use the tuition assistance, once you get your masters you'll decide if UPS is for you. I became a part time sup, got promoted to full time and now i'm living the life of my dreams. I didn't have to wait 10+ years to gain seniority and a few more to get top rate. Neither path is wrong, if long and steady is for you then there is NOTHING wrong with staying hourly. If you're looking for a career perhaps someday leave UPS with experience under your belt that will translate to almost any field, go management.

rod

Retired 22 years
Don't listen to this people. They seem bitter that they didn't get further in life. Degree wise, nothing needed for PT sup. It is recommended you keep attending school. Use the tuition assistance, once you get your masters you'll decide if UPS is for you. I became a part time sup, got promoted to full time and now i'm living the life of my dreams. I didn't have to wait 10+ years to gain seniority and a few more to get top rate. Neither path is wrong, if long and steady is for you then there is NOTHING wrong with staying hourly. If you're looking for a career perhaps someday leave UPS with experience under your belt that will translate to almost any field, go management.

are you sure its not a nightmare?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't listen to this people. They seem bitter that they didn't get further in life.
I became a part time sup, got promoted to full time and now i'm living the life of my dreams.
I didn't have to wait 10+ years to gain seniority and a few more to get top rate.
Neither path is wrong ...
if long and steady is for you then there is NOTHING wrong with staying hourly.

If you're looking for a career, perhaps someday leave UPS with experience under your belt that will translate to almost any field, go management.

One is based on seniority and one is based on merit.

Each person has to make the choice.
If you have a strong belief in yourself and have demonstrated you can achieve in direct competition with others, then maybe management is for you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Is there a Masters Degree called "Ruin Anything You Touch"? Seems like a lot of managers are masters in that.
Coming from The Big Union Guy ... oh yeah! People going to buy that.
Mediocrity is the declared goal for Union people.
Rise above MEDIOCRITY and your Union brothers will start attacking you.

One is based on seniority and one is based on merit.

Each person has to make the choice.
If you have a strong belief in yourself and have demonstrated you can achieve in direct competition with others, then maybe management is for you.
Said in a magagesque kind of way.

Returntosender

Coming from The Big Union Guy ... oh yeah! People going to buy that.
Mediocrity is the declared goal for Union people.
Rise above MEDIOCRITY and your Union brothers will start attacking you.
In one your past posts " you said had go above your managers head and get higher managers involved to a get a the problem project resolved. Because your manager wanted it done this way and your team said it was wrong to do it this way. Their would be consequences if this was done and you did not want to throw your team under the bus." A senior ft sup did what you did and now the guy is reassigned to twilight. All because the guy told then manager continuing to roll late volume and cherry pick which volume will go out for delivery wont fix the problem long term. Need to ask regional manager for approval to hire more workers.

Seems like the older ft sups who speak up are being punished. The higher ups just want yes people

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
In one your past posts " you said had go above your managers head and get higher managers involved to a get a the problem project resolved. Because your manager wanted it done this way and your team said it was wrong to do it this way. Their would be consequences if this was done and you did not want to throw your team under the bus." A senior ft sup did what you did and now the guy is reassigned to twilight. All because the guy told then manager continuing to roll late volume and cherry pick which volume will go out for delivery wont fix the problem long term. Need to ask regional manager for approval to hire more workers.

Seems like the older ft sups who speak up are being punished. The higher ups just want yes people

Your starting to catch on to how things work

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

Higher ups don't want just a yes man. If you have a solution better than the one in place they expect a good plan in place to fix it. Usually just saying you need more people isn't good enough.

Higher ups don't want just a yes man. If you have a solution better than the one in place they expect a good plan in place to fix it. Usually just saying you need more people isn't good enough.
No, all they want is a plan to fail anymore.