IE Internship?

surfer

I am potentially going to be doing an IE internship primarily performing and analyzing time studies of drivers.

I was wondering if someone could maybe shed some light on what it's like working as an intern for UPS and also what the drivers think about interns riding with them and performing time studies.

I looked through the forums and found some interseting posts from the drivers talking about certain methods they use when time studies are being performed versus not.

When I interviewed the environment was extremely relaxed, to me, unprofessional. Very intersesting to see the offices.

Anyways, any feedback on IE internships and time studies would be great.

Thanks,
Surfer

over9five

Staff member
I have no problem with an IE person riding with me.

Do you feel you are taught to do time studies fairly?
When they implemented PAS/EDD, they told us we would be expected to do 10 more stops in the same amount of time. This was without benefit of a time study. It was also horsecrap.

Even if you do the study fairly, I believe someone can (afterword) change it with a few strokes on a keyboard.

Don't believe your time study stands. I don't.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Time studies, they do them again???
Most of us are pi**ed off since it has been sooooooo lonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg since there has been one....................The packages get heavier, the trucks get bigger, the packages get bigger, and they charge extra handling, because they know it takes longer, and they take time away from who handles them at the end point.
Security gets tighter, it takes time to get in secured places, and its still measured like it was 5 yrs ago when it was a much more open society, and they take time away from those of us who have to gain access. As far as trying to get over on time study people, bull pukky. You measure distance and walk time, and use your best judgement. Just be fair and no one will try to snow you. We would just like to have a FAIR measurement of our day, thats all.

surfer

Well, personally I have a lot of respect for the drivers and the work that they do.

I think riding with them I would learn a lot about the city and how the company works.

I don't know why there is so much negative feedback on time studies. If done fairly and correctly they should only do benefit and no harm.

I think the only issues are in unfair studies or if management is fudgning the numbers.

Any more input would be great.

Thanks,
surfer

DS

Fenderbender
The only thing most drivers would do different while being time studied would be doing all business deliveries early ,and then going back to do a pickup later.This makes for lots of overtime,but also makes it impossible to get everything done in 12 hours.The only real time study that is necessary is to ask veteran drivers that have done the route what is a fair stop count in that area that will let you get in your full break and stay under 9.5
In my area I run usually about 40-50 overallowed,sometimes more,sometimes I run scratch.When I`m on va-ca ,my replacements run 2 bucks over and they call for help.
I think time studies are useless.I`m surprised they still do them.
But good luck to you all the same surfer.

T

Thebrowntruth

Does anyone else see the stupidity of an off the street intern being assigned the job of completing an honest time study? Absolutely NO knowledge of what the job of a service provider is and they set the standard? Perhaps UPS could let them qualify during the summer months and THEN set the standard for a driver. By the way my friend, I hope in 6 months you come back and tell us the REALITY of an IE intern completing a study. The reality is when you find a route that is completely UNFAIR in its time allowance and argue that the driver should be given an increase of over an hour in his/her day, your IE department will "revisit" the results and find NO MORE THAN 15 minutes! Please keep this email and respond when your internship is over, this IS the REALITY of IE intern time studies. Been there, seen it....

Leftinbuilding

Time studies can be beneficial. I once got a warning letter for running consistently over 45 minutes late. After a lot of complaining I finally got a new time study. Gained 1.5 hours.

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
I think a college intern is about the most unbiased opinion you'd get at UPS
I don't think I'd want any on-car riding with me. We haven't had a time study in our center in over 10 years so I'm told... and I'd believe it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We're going through time studies in my building, it's my understanding that every building is supposed to get them at some point after they make the switch to PAS. It's been at least 15 years since they did studies here, and I agree with Fredly that I'd rather have a college intern doing them than someone from IE with an agenda. They don't need to know our job, that much is clear from watching them work (I've already had my ride). They count steps, keep track of your to and from miles, how many miles between each stop, and what the speed limit is. The whole package selection process and delivery cycle which constitutes the majority of our actual work is largely irrelevant, as the time allowances for those are predetermined and won't be affected by the time study. You can pad that a bit by using the handcart at every sigle stop, but an experienced UPS manager is more likely to decide that you're trying to BS him/her and not give the time for it, whereas the college intern will just enter it in. For what it's worth, the word right now is that most of the routes in my center are going to gain a little time, and we sorely need it. We'll know for sure in a another month or so when the new times go into affect.

ups79

pkg selection might seem irrevelant to you now, but I would about give you odds, when you go over your day with the person doing the time study, he going to suggest you lost time because of your bad selection process. about all routes do.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
ups79 said:
pkg selection might seem irrevelant to you now, but I would about give you odds, when you go over your day with the person doing the time study, he going to suggest you lost time because of your bad selection process. about all routes do.
I think you misunderstood me. Proper methods during the package selection process are not irrelevant to me, but it has no effect on the result of the time study because the time allowances for parking the vehicle, removing the key from the ignition, opening the bulkhead door, selecting a package, closing the bulkhead door, etc, are all pre-determined. You can fumble around in the car all you want, or you can be as efficient as a robot, it won't gain or lose you any time for purposes of the time study.

For what it's worth, I've always been told that my methods were pretty good.