If I work preload am I basically guaranteed a the opprutunity to be a holiday helper?

Box Ox

At my location management generally prefers to pull volunteer insiders as helpers over off streeters. Which is rare as peak preload shifts are killer. And they're certainly scrambling to find enough helpers as the season progresses. Would be surprised if you couldn't help every day you wanted to.

Think there is mandatory one time helper training for liability purposes, etc. You might have to watch some cheesy videos and do a packet or two.

barnyard

KTM rider
My center has a sign up sheet for PT people that want to be helpers. If you do not sign the sheet, it is guaranteed that you will not be a helper.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
"Guarantee" is dependent on your supplement. For example, in Central it says (I'm paraphrasing) that insiders get first crack and helping and get to choose the route they want to work on by seniority order BUT total hours may not exceed 8 per day. Guess how enforceable this is when you're working 6 hours on the inside :)? In practice, management lets drivers pick a person they want to work with and often plum routes (like malls) go to management favorites. AT BEST, you'll get to pick from what's left over -- best to find a driver you get along with and ask if you can work together.

Maximum hours may be covered in your supplement (mine's 8, like I said above) and enforcement is at management's discretion. Here, some years it's been 8, some it's been 12 and in others they haven't given a dang. 5 years ago they fired a pair of PTers for working over 12 (one got his job back, the other didn't pursue it) and then 2 years later I wound up working at least 80 hours per week...

8000Shelf

It isn't necessarily guaranteed. With that said, never seen anyone that wanted to work at peak from the inside denied an opportunity.