If we REALLY mattered that much as drivers...

But I really do.

I've said it before and I'll say it till the day I retire.......I'm one of those guys that actually likes what he does here. I'm very fortunate to be in the position I'm in and the money I make and other compensations. No matter what rules there are like shaving to abide by. All jobs have their own sets of rules. If you don't like them then this isn't the place for you.
Now you tell me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But I really do.

I've said it before and I'll say it till the day I retire.......I'm one of those guys that actually likes what he does here. I'm very fortunate to be in the position I'm in and the money I make and other compensations. No matter what rules there are like shaving to abide by. All jobs have their own sets of rules. If you don't like them then this isn't the place for you.

You do have to admit that the job has changed since most of us veterans first started.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You do have to admit that the job has changed since most of us veterans first started.

That is certainly true. Our newer drivers head spin when you tell them about how much time you could waste back in the day and how "easy" things were then.
In the end, UPS isn't really to blame for making things "harder" on us. Blame the shareholders if you really want to blame someone. Everything changed on November 10, 1999. And it will never be the same.

clean hairy

But I really do.

The rules are for everyone to follow, unless your name is Upstate!
Then you get to dictate your own rules to get the job done!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
But I really do.

Yes, Dave, it certainly changed over the years. However, the one thing that kept me going even when production and micro-management ruled the day, was getting out and seeing my customers every day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That is certainly true. Our newer drivers head spin when you tell them about how much time you could waste back in the day and how "easy" things were then.
In the end, UPS isn't really to blame for making things "harder" on us. Blame the shareholders if you really want to blame someone. Everything changed on November 10, 1999. And it will never be the same.
And August 1997 ... I don't know which effected the greatest changes but they are linked forever.

Grey

Yes it sucks and everyday at work is depressing but you gotta do what ya gotta do for you and your family financially. Just have to suck it because a lot of good ppl are worse off than us.

wayfair

swollen member
I'm just curious as to some thoughts others have. We are held to such a (IMO) ludicrously high standard by the company, and are reminded of it time and time again.. But it's too much to deal with sometimes, no matter what we get paid an hour. As a friend of mine said the other day "Dude I wouldn't deal with that much sh%t for $100 an hour." I hate to agree, but I do. At the VERY LEAST, hold the preload to a high standard as well. They very obviously do not. Here's some ideas of mine, to start:

-We have misloads pretty regularly, at least where I'm at. Well, it happens, people screw up. Yet I have hardly ever been told to just bring it back, always sent to go deliver it. WHY

-What the :censored2: is up with the facial hair policy. Some of us look much better clean shaven, some of us look better with a little fu-manchu or something going on. I don't think we should be out there rocking Duck Dynasty beards, we can agree on that. But we are working an essentially blue collar job, not in an office somewhere. I've even noticed people serving and cooking at restaurants rocking more facial hair than we are allowed, and if anything that rule would make more sense in that profession. WHY

-We allow ridiculously large pkgs in the system that we, in turn, are expected to deliver single handedly for the most part. 150 lb table up to a 3rd floor apartment via stairs? Sure, you can hack it. WHY

-There should be a limit on bulk stops. They sure as hell don't take stops off you if you happen to have two or more stops with 20-40 pieces. Not all large stops go to docks, where workers may come help you out. I've seen some absurd things, like 70 boxes of clothing going between two different doors, that you do not back up to a dock or get help with, yet you barely get any extra time. WHY. Make it easy, limit ALL stops to no more than 20 pieces unless they are smalls/envelopes. This would also create more steady work.

Didn't want to turn it into a whole angry rant but things as they are now compared to as I hear they used to be are beyond stupid. If it was legal and turned a profit I have no doubt UPS would allow customers to drag us into their homes and bend us over as well. This would still be a hard job even if my above suggestions went into effect. Just seems the company, in their usual vindictive style, justifies all this by the pay rate of our top scale guys. Well guess what, we all aren't there, and even when we are it's STILL not enough to justify some of what we go through. Rant over. I'd still like to hear some other thoughts.

You've been here 11 years and these are the only things you can b* about?