If we REALLY mattered that much as drivers...

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Like Photog said, it changed with the strike and going public.
When you grabbed your diad in the morning back then, you walked past the office that ran the center.
You could have a bulk stop taken off, give air to an air driver, or have them take 15 stops off so you can play softball at 5.
The good old days !!!

Now some office in Atlanta has predetermined how many routes can be run, using logarithms that would make Einstein squint at his chalkboard.
Now some computer tells you how many miles you're allowed to drive, a number that affects SERVICE at its core.
You can't make that extra medical package attempt and you can't drive that misload off because it's "too far".
You can't give a favorite pickup extra time because coming back will ruin your milage for the day.
Drivers from the 70's and 80's would laugh at us because that wasn't the company they worked for.

The strike or going public !!!
You can't point the finger at them without realizing it probably was us.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I only havea High School Education and i'll knock down around $95,000 this year. I can put up with misloads and not being able to grow a beard.
i really enjoy the job; it keeps me in shape,i'm challenged every day and i have some of the best customers ever.
would the OP like some Cheese to go with that Whine?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You could always get a job at McDonalds like they used to tell us!
McDonaldsDelivery.jpg

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
When you signed the contract, were these things specified to not occur to you.
Like many other said, it's the nature of the job.
If anyone gets tired of being paid $34 an hour ... there are other jobs with less responsibility at $20/hour.
Its venting, and to say we all should have expected our work enviorement to turn into what it is now is wrong. Yes, the money is good, but the odds of new drivers making it 30 yrs and having their bodies hold up is slim. Thats like saying management should have expected to lose their pension , spousal health care, and mip . Silly argument

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They don't pay us to worry or fret. Every decent employee has had a good idea or two to help the process, but management isn't interested in good ideas from us. You'll learn you can't give advice to someone who knows everything. Like others have said, just take the money and run. Never kill yourself for this job, because the company only cares if you're dead if they have to cover your job that day.

The quicker you learn to make ignorance pay for retirement, and not good ideas, the happier you will become. Steer into the skid, friend.

UPyourS

You don't have to shave. I just became a driver and I have a full fledged beard. You just have to bring a doctors note stating you get ingrowns from shaving. That's what I did. I'll be damned if I have to shave my beard. But hey, the good thing about hair is that it grows back ; )

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Its venting, and to say we all should have expected our work enviorement to turn into what it is now is wrong. Yes, the money is good, but the odds of new drivers making it 30 yrs and having their bodies hold up is slim. Thats like saying management should have expected to lose their pension , spousal health care, and mip . Silly argument
What's silly about something that happened?
It's the new reality.
I don't agree with it anymore than you do.
I think it is socially immoral.