If you take Leave, Do the Right thing....

It sounds like you brought this stress upon yourself by not filling out the FMLA paperwork as required. Were you fired for job abandonment?
Actually it sounds like he brought it upon himself by being young and naive. I had worded at UPS for 10 years or more before I ever heard FMLA. Were you born knowing everything, or did you learn it a little at a time?

Actually it sounds like he brought it upon himself by being young and naive. I had worded at UPS for 10 years or more before I ever heard FMLA. Were you born knowing everything, or did you learn it a little at a time?

Didn't Clinton sign that into law in the middle to late 90's?

JonFrum

When applying for leave for the first time, the burden is on the employer. The employee may not know of FMLA, and/or may not have a computer to go online to UPSers dot com. That's why the employee asks for (generic) leave, and the company must get back to him in writing with all the necessary FMLA paperwork and instructions.
Q. What information must an employee give when providing notice of the need for FMLA leave?
A. When an employee seeks leave for the first time for a FMLA-qualifying reason, the employee does not need to specifically assert his or her rights under FMLA, or even mention FMLA. The employee must, however, provide “sufficient information” to make the employer aware of the need for FMLA leave and the anticipated timing and duration of the leave. . . .
As to call-in proceedures, if you are taking previously approved FMLA leave that had a definite schedule, there is no call-in requirement, just as there is no need to call-in the morning of the start of your scheduled vacation.

However if you are taking pre-approved FMLA leave, where the exact date(s) were not specified at the time of approval, then obviously you must notify UPS, as UPS would have no way of knowing otherwise. Similar to taking a sick day.

What'dyabringmetoday???

It sounds like you brought this stress upon yourself by not filling out the FMLA paperwork as required. Were you fired for job abandonment?

Actually, all you have to do is reduce it to writing when you need leave and the circumstances. You don't have to fill out any of their goofy forms. They are simply trying to dissuade people from using FMLA, plain and simple.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
Be careful who you ask in management. If you ask a part-time supervisor/belt supervisor they tend to not care or know about many paperwork issues. I usually ask my preload full time manager who is above all the supervisors on my shift with regards to important issues.

brownIEman

Actually, all you have to do is reduce it to writing when you need leave and the circumstances. You don't have to fill out any of their goofy forms. They are simply trying to dissuade people from using FMLA, plain and simple.

well, no and no. Just saying, hey I have an issue I need leave will likely result in FMLA being denied. Which it can be if you fail to show that you actually qualify, which usually requires certain forms be filled out by a medical profesional. Hence the goofy forms.