If you were President how would you

City Driver

i would make hybrid cars and starbucks illegal just to watch upstateNYupser stage a peaceful protest in his hippie attire

this has nothing to do with the economy, but id still do it

A

anonymous6

If you were President how would you turn around the economy?

I would not spend 2 trillion bailing out the crooks. history will prove that they will steal most of this money.

I would spend it putting every American to work. All our bridges and highways could be fixed. trash picked up etc.

deport every illegal alien.

that's just for starters but what do i know, just a dumb truck driver who pays Taxes.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Cut taxes, for people and business. Put people on the dole to work, cleaning litter, working at meanial jobs,cleaning govt office buildings. cutting welfare for dropouts, make everyone on welfare pass a drug test to receive it.
Tax cuts for american made products. Lower environmental regulations, and put tarriffs on imported steel, for a few.

klein

Für Meno :)
Tax cuts for american made products. Lower environmental regulations, and put tarriffs on imported steel, for a few.

So, you want protectionisum ?
It's a short-term fix.
In the longer term, would make your american homemade products too expensive or environmental useless to ever export.
And, will only add to your trade deficit.
Never to mention the tradewars with the USA other countries will have (like shutting off oil supply, in the worst case).

Nope, American produced products should be more cost competitive, not subsidized.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Imports & exports would be equal.....we import cars from Korea, they have to take an equal number of our cars in return.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
over9five is correct.
Leave the economy alone.
Under bho the only growing sector is gov't jobs, which in turn does nothing to increase our productivity.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Orangputeh and Toonertoo for president and vice president...you guys get some rep points!!!!:peaceful:

I will add that we need to stop bailing out bussiness that fail and LET THEM FAIL...stop rewarding failure.

Dagoof

I would have taken all that bail out money and given a hundred grand to every taxpayer. Most people would have paid their mortgages paid off credit cards, bought cars, and put money into investments and savings. All that and it still wouldnt have cost as much as it is now

bluehdmc

I certainly wouldn't have bailed out the bankers that turned around and gave themselves million dollar bonuses. What a deal, ruin a business and still get a bonus, that's like giving a waiter a 200% tip for a buffet meal.

klein

Für Meno :)
Sofar, I haven't heard anything wise on here. Silly things actually, like tariffs on imports.
Do, that, and you'll get to pay 20-50% more for clothing, groceries, construction, gasoline, autos, and more.

I haven't heard anything about the 3 major costs, (that make up to 70% of your tax dollars), on how to bring them down :
Healthcare, Military, and Interesst payments on National debt.
(one suggested tax cuts - go the opposite way)...

Any President should look at those major costs first, on ways to bring them down.
And, by all means, Obama has been looking at Healthcare and Military.
If, times would have been better, the National debt repayment would have
been a big issue, too.
But, it's comming in the near future (higher taxes).

JustTired

free at last.......
My first thought is that I would have let the banks fail. But if I decided to bail them out, I would regulate the crap out of them. While in theory there's nothing inherently wrong with a "free market", you still have to make sound decisions. And sound decisions are thrown to the wayside when greed is involved.

An analogy might be speed limits. The government (whether fed, state or local) posts speed limits on our roadways. The majority obey them. Some push the limit a little. Others refuse to acknowledge them and pay the price. Take the limits away and most would still travel at a fairly safe speed. Others would look at it as an opportunity to go 'balls to the wall' without fear of retribution. Those limits are imposed not for the driver who uses common sense to safely operate the vehicle. They are there to keep those who would take advantage of their absence to drive as they please, regardless of the safety factor.

Until those entities can prove they have common sense (I won't hold my breath), regulation seems to me to be the only answer.

Raw

Raw Member
It is not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work -- work with us, not over us; stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it. First Inaugural Address, January 20, 1981

We who live in free market societies believe that growth, prosperity and ultimately human fulfillment, are created from the bottom up, not the government down. Only when the human spirit is allowed to invent and create, only when individuals are given a personal stake in deciding economic policies and benefitting from their success -- only then can societies remain economically alive, dynamic, progressive, and free. Trust the people. This is the one irrefutable lesson of the entire postwar period contradicting the notion that rigid government controls are essential to economic development. September 29, 1981

Government has an important role in helping develop a country's economic foundation. But the critical test is whether government is genuinely working to liberate individuals by creating incentives to work, save, invest, and succeed. October 30, 1981

We don't have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. Address to National Association of Realtors, March 28, 1982

It is the Soviet Union that runs against the tide of history.... [It is] the march of freedom and democracy which will leave Marxism- Leninism on the ash heap of history as it has left other tyrannies which stifle the freedom and muzzle the self-expression of the people. Speech to Britain's Parliament, June, 1982

Government growing beyond our consent had become a lumbering giant, slamming shut the gates of opportunity, threatening to crush the very roots of our freedom. What brought America back? The American people brought us back -- with quiet courage and common sense; with undying faith that in this nation under God the future will be ours, for the future belongs to the free. State of the Union Address, February 4, 1986

[G]overnment's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Remarks to the White House Conference on Small Business, August 15, 1986

The other day, someone told me the difference between a democracy and a people's democracy. It's the same difference between a jacket and a straitjacket. Remarks at Human Rights Day event, December 10, 1986

How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. Remarks in Arlington, Virginia, September 25, 1987

A friend of mine was asked to a costume ball a short time ago. He slapped some egg on his face and went as a liberal economist. February 11, 1988

Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15. Attributed

Are you willing to spend time studying the issues, making yourself aware, and then conveying that information to family and friends? Will you resist the temptation to get a government handout for your community? Realize that the doctor's fight against socialized medicine is your fight. We can't socialize the doctors without socializing the patients. Recognize that government invasion of public power is eventually an assault upon your own business. If some among you fear taking a stand because you are afraid of reprisals from customers, clients, or even government, recognize that you are just feeding the crocodile hoping he'll eat you last. Address to the nation, October 27, 1964

It's time we asked ourselves if we still know the freedoms intended for us by the Founding Fathers. James Madison said, "We base all our experiments on the capacity of mankind for self-government." This idea that government was beholden to the people, that it had no other source of power, is still the newest, most unique idea in all the long history of man's relation to man. This is the issue of this election: Whether we believe in our capacity for self-government or whether we abandon the American Revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite in a far-distant capital can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves. Address to the nation, October 27, 1964

The Founding Fathers knew a government can't control the economy without controlling people. And they knew when a government sets out to do that, it must use force and coercion to achieve its purpose. So we have come to a time for choosing. Address to the nation, October 27, 1964

We need true tax reform that will at least make a start toward restoring for our children the American Dream that wealth is denied to no one, that each individual has the right to fly as high as his strength and ability will take him. . . . But we cannot have such reform while our tax policy is engineered by people who view the tax as a means of achieving changes in our social structure. Address to the nation, October 27, 1964

Great Quotes from President Reagan RIP

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I would put Glenn Beck in charge of the banking industry,G.M Chystler & make him Czar of ACORN & immigration for starters...