I'm a FT Driver (RPCD) that wants to go to School

GoldenMean

My first 12mo raise is coming up soon, but I want to go to school next year. I'm wondering if anyone here could offer me some guidance in the best way to go about doing this.

From what I've read, it is possible to get tuition reimbursement even as a FT hourly employee. I have low seniority, so with the amount of hours I've been getting it would be feasible to take some classes while I'm in this FT position. However the amount of hours are subject to quick and drastic change, obviously... so I'm looking at other positions.

I've worked inside as an Unloader, but that is a HUGE pay cut that I'd like to avoid. I'm wondering if it would be best to go as a PT Air Driver, or if there is another position which can flexibly opt for PT driving (like a 22.3). One last rookie question: Going to PT Air Driver from FT Regular would reset my seniority, right? So I would get the starting wage for PT Air Drivers?

Thank you all

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
My first 12mo raise is coming up soon, but I want to go to school next year. I'm wondering if anyone here could offer me some guidance in the best way to go about doing this.

From what I've read, it is possible to get tuition reimbursement even as a FT hourly employee. I have low seniority, so with the amount of hours I've been getting it would be feasible to take some classes while I'm in this FT position. However the amount of hours are subject to quick and drastic change, obviously... so I'm looking at other positions.

I've worked inside as an Unloader, but that is a HUGE pay cut that I'd like to avoid. I'm wondering if it would be best to go as a PT Air Driver, or if there is another position which can flexibly opt for PT driving (like a 22.3). One last rookie question: Going to PT Air Driver from FT Regular would reset my seniority, right? So I would get the starting wage for PT Air Drivers?

Thank you all

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They don't offer tuition reimbursement for full time union employees.
Check upsers. Enter your employee number. It will say Employee ID not found or ineligible.

GoldenMean

They don't offer tuition reimbursement for full time union employees.
Check upsers. Enter your employee number. It will say Employee ID not found or ineligible.
That's what I thought, though a guy on another thread spoke with his HR and they found otherwise (can't link to it for some reason)

You're probably right. In any case I decided I won't go to school while working FT anyways since most colleges are now scoring students on attendance and class participation :poop: and a slow roll through online classes wouldn't allow me to graduate before 30 years old, which isn't optimal for me.

Doubt you can switch to part time.

Combo job is about your only other option at this point.
The only other option, outside of that, would be to quit and apply for an inside job... then wait for a PT Air Driver bid?
Also, can combo employees choose to work only one of their two PT shifts, or do they technically have to work both if they're needed.

Had no idea FT employees can't switch to a PT position, at least not without good knee pads.
Thanks for all the replies so far, even the jokes are appreciated! lol

Last edited:

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
When I passed my packet I did a Skype meet and greet with the DM. After hearing that I had some college credits he and his assistant went out of their way to let me know that it is possible for a FT driver to go to school and get tuition reimbursements. Basically said that they would "work with me" on the hours and that in the past drivers have just taken 2 classes per quarter. Shouldn't be that hard to get a cover driver a 4 day maybe sometimes 3 day work week.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
When I passed my packet I did a Skype meet and greet with the DM. After hearing that I had some college credits he and his assistant went out of their way to let me know that it is possible for a FT driver to go to school and get tuition reimbursements. Basically said that they would "work with me" on the hours and that in the past drivers have just taken 2 classes per quarter. Shouldn't be that hard to get a cover driver a 4 day maybe sometimes 3 day work week.
You made an extra agreement with Management for special treatment.
That is a direct violation of the Contract.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
You made an extra agreement with Management for special treatment.
That is a direct violation of the Contract.
I didn't make any agreements with anybody to do anything. Simply passing along the options that were discussed with me.
That said, UPS providing Union Members with the opportuinty to get a degree is a good thing. You can call it special treatment, I'd disagree

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I didn't make any agreements with anybody to do anything. Simply passing along the options that were discussed with me.

The company was fishing.... to gauge your reaction.

Basically said that they would "work with me" on the hours and that in the past drivers have just taken 2 classes per quarter. Shouldn't be that hard to get a cover driver a 4 day maybe sometimes 3 day work week.

One grievance.. citing Article 6.. would end that.

UPS providing Union Members with the opportuinty to get a degree is a good thing.

They're trying to recruit you into management.