I'm a stakeholder? Really?

hypo hanna

Just got another note in the mail slot from the SM about how we need to knuckle down more and make sacrifices so fedex can get that stock up to Fred smiths promised price point.he made the mistake of saying my fortunes are tied to that stock price. Lets look at that claim...

in 1986 my first year as a full time employee, I made 27,000. In today's dollars, that's just under 59,000. In other words, if I were keeping up with inflation, I would be making 59K. As a topped out driver I'm actually making 49K.

In mid 1986 FedEx stock was about 14.75 a share. Adjusted for inflation that's about 31.43 in today's dollars. Yesterday it closed around 103.00.

If my compensation were truly tied to and paralleled the companies stock performance like he suggested, I would be making about 189,000 a year!

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Look. Maybe Express won't get help from the IBT. Maybe it's time to lock arms with the fast food industry. Find your friends where they are and show how widespread the corporate greed really is.

Ricochet1a

Just got another note in the mail slot from the SM about how we need to knuckle down more and make sacrifices so fedex can get that stock up to Fred smiths promised price point.he made the mistake of saying my fortunes are tied to that stock price. Lets look at that claim... in 1986 my first year as a full time employee, I made 27,000. In today's dollars, that's just under 59,000. In other words, if I were keeping up with inflation, I would be making 59K. As a topped out driver I'm actually making 49K. In mid 1986 FedEx stock was about 14.75 a share. Adjusted for inflation that's about 31.43 in today's dollars. Yesterday it closed around 103.00. If my compensation were truly tied to and paralleled the companies stock performance like he suggested, I would be making about 189,000 a year!

I checked your numbers for inflation - and they are pretty damn close. So the only 'technical' argument would be how many hours you worked in 1986 and how many hours you would work this year.

A better comparison would be to compare your hourly wage rate of 1986 to your current.

You also need to factor in the loss of the pension plan, the deterioration of the health insurance and the loss of profit sharing and other incentives.

So after all of this, it would be SAFE to say, that after 27 years with Express, you are currently being compensated at a level LESS than you were in your very first year as a full-time employee.

And the 'sheep' are too damn scared to do anything about it....

That's wage slavery, pure and simple.

The stock in 1986 was in the mid $60 range for most of the year, BUT that stock underwent two 2 for 1 splits (in 96 and 99). So an 'adjusted' stock price of $14.75 as you quote for 1986 is correct - taking into effect the stock splits.

Back in the 80's and early 90's, Federal Express was a good deal. Something happened in the late 90's which was sprung on Express without the employees really recognizing what was happening. It has been slow, deliberate and methodical. They still have a way to go until they get where they really want.

And the sheep still are too afraid to do something about the situation - they are too afraid of losing what they have, in order to get what they are worth.

hypo hanna

The older ones are mostly trying to ride out those last years. We know no one is going to hire us. This is more a warning to the new people. You will never top out and any pay increases won't keep up with inflation.

fedex is the very definition of a dead end job.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
***** Fred S. He's the one who made the promise to stockholders, not us.

If we work any faster or harder then then our safety becomes jepoardized.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Look. Maybe Express won't get help from the IBT. Maybe it's time to lock arms with the fast food industry. Find your friends where they are and show how widespread the corporate greed really is.

You know.....not a bad idea.

Pardon the pun but certainly food for thought.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just got another note in the mail slot from the SM about how we need to knuckle down more and make sacrifices so fedex can get that stock up to Fred smiths promised price point.he made the mistake of saying my fortunes are tied to that stock price. Lets look at that claim...

in 1986 my first year as a full time employee, I made 27,000. In today's dollars, that's just under 59,000. In other words, if I were keeping up with inflation, I would be making 59K. As a topped out driver I'm actually making 49K.

In mid 1986 FedEx stock was about 14.75 a share. Adjusted for inflation that's about 31.43 in today's dollars. Yesterday it closed around 103.00.

If my compensation were truly tied to and paralleled the companies stock performance like he suggested, I would be making about 189,000 a year!

bbsam

Staff member
You know.....not a bad idea.

Pardon the pun but certainly food for thought.

Really? Thanks. I mentioned it a few months ago. Imagine The Fedex brand adding fuel to the fire. You'd really get attention. At first incredulous and questioning but that would be the perfect setup for accentuating the vast disparity between UPS and Fedex compensation.