Im new and have a couple questions

Norseman76

Hello everybody, I just started my training this week and I had a couple of questions. For one thing what do you think is best position to become a driver? unloading , preload , and sorter are available right now. Also anyone working in Las Vegas know the average time takes to be a driver? I have heard 1 to 3 years. Plus I find it kinda odd that I haven't been drug tested for this job. I have had some crappy jobs and they drug test you before you ever start. Anyways, any info would be greatly appreciated.

upsgrunt

Welcome to the brown cafe! It doesn't matter where you start, it goes by seniority of part-timers who want to drive within the building that determines "your turn". I would pick whatever position interests you most. I started 22 years ago in the unload, moved to preload in about 2 weeks, and started driving 2 1/2 years from my hire date. It all depends on who is ahead of you that wants to drive, and of course the number of driver retirees, fires, quits, and business expansion. As to the drug test, I don't know if they do that or not-could be it is just a complete background check.
Good luck!

labels_up

Box slinger
If you want to find out a little more about what it's like being a driver, try getting on as a seasonal driver helper (I did this last year for same reason, but also for the extra $$). I'd say getting on as a sorter/preload is the best of the choices you mentioned since you make an extra buck/hour while you're accumulating seniority.

If they drug tested, I know our unload/sort area would be a lot more understaffed than it already is :tongue_sm

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
If they tested...70% of UPS, including the supes, would be out on there butts. I think they should test, maybe some of losers I work with would be gone.

Fnix

If your hub uses colors for sorting instead of zipcodes you don get the raise. I know how to load and sort and never got a raise from either, only people who have are the people from 4+ years ago in my center.

W

westsideworma

If your hub uses colors for sorting instead of zipcodes you don get the raise. I know how to load and sort and never got a raise from either, only people who have are the people from 4+ years ago in my center.

Technically its a shift differential according to the contract as it doesn't even specify the jobs in question that get the dollar raise. However apparently we don't see it that way (of course not its cheaper), you can thank PAS for successfully lightening new hires' wallets. Last I heard our steward was fighting to make sure people still got the dollar raise. I retained the extra dollar when PAS started but I started about 2 yrs before we got it so I'm guessing that'd be why. Now I have no idea if I'll ever see a raise ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: