I'm "on call" for Friday. A question.

OptimusPrime

So basically I have to get up, get "browned up" and be ready to leave by 8:10am. Call the center, blah, blah, blah. Now the sign up sheet had an option whether you wanted a full day, or paid actual. Seeing as I did not sign up, and they may drag me in there, can I then I demand a full day? I already have to set aside the whole day, with no idea if they will send me out for an hour, or six, etc.

undies

Don't answer your phone. They should know ahead of time if they will need you. If you want to work, just show up and ask for your 8 hours.

jaker

trolling
I was going to just call out sick , but I looked at the list when I got off and it said I was off

So ha ha , I am sleeping in and if you got to work make them give you 8 Hours

iruhnman630

We only had one driver sign up and demand his 8...they have 'letter boxes' next to his start time.

I've been on-call every year but have only worked it once or twice.

Honestly, after these last three days, I may just make them call me.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was going to just call out sick , but I looked at the list when I got off and it said I was off

So ha ha , I am sleeping in and if you got to work make them give you 8 Hours

If I was on call and forced to work at the last moment I would get my 8 even if I had to set in a coffee shop and twiddle my thumbs. Your best bet is to not answer the phone if you really don't want the money.

W

want to retire

So basically I have to get up, get "browned up" and be ready to leave by 8:10am. Call the center, blah, blah, blah. Now the sign up sheet had an option whether you wanted a full day, or paid actual. Seeing as I did not sign up, and they may drag me in there, can I then I demand a full day? I already have to set aside the whole day, with no idea if they will send me out for an hour, or six, etc.

If you are "on call"......you have to be ready(when they told you to be)....just like any other day.

I believe a "no call, no show" would have the same consequences as any other nc/ns.

You are guaranteed 8. We have some folks that demand and get 8. Sometimes that involves a broom. Your call.

Hope for the best and plan for the worst. I've been worked a few hours and I've been worked 12. Yes, set aside the whole day. If just a couple hours, hey it's time1/2.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Generally the more drivers that work the fewer hours worked by all as they will do their best to distribute the work evenly amongst all the drivers. If you demand your 8 you may be given work in areas that you are not familiar with or they may have you run your route and then work on the inside (washing pkg cars, pushing a broom) or they may have you pickup dropboxes. It is most likely that you will call in and they will tell you that they are all set and you won't be needed.

The payrate for the day varies by region---here it is straight time for hours worked whether you volunteer or were forced.

S

serenity now

day after thanksgiving is easy money (that being said, i prefer to be off)

now the day after christmas , nightmare

packageguy

If you go to work, why would you not work a full day. If they give you an area you don't know it's more money in your pocket, enjoy thanksgiving

outta hours

In my region there is no "on call" for pkg. car drivers. Feeders yes. They either tell you ahead of time that your needed, or you are off. Enjoy your holiday.

UPSGUY72

Is there an on call procedure in your contract? If your on call you should be getting paid something.

This is what happens when you let them have you call in everyday to see if there is work. I bet that isn't in your contract either.

You people need to stand up for your rights and stop letting management make up rules and positiobs just to make there numbers look good.

I'm on vacation but if I wasn't I'd be working or home not on call.

Read your contract people and understand your rights. If it's not in the contract ask your steward and or BA just don't take what your SUP says for the truth.

outta hours

Do you get paid for being on call? They don't have that here.

No you are not paid when on call. You have 2 hours to report once you are called in to cover a run. Of course you can always pass to the next on call driver below you. Trying to get that language changed in our supplement in the next contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is not uncommon to have a couple of drivers "on call" on these non-operational days. Drivers asked to be "on call" generally have to call by a certain time to see if they are needed or not. No, the time spent being "on call" is not paid time. They put drivers "on call" in case they receive unexpected volume or if a driver already scheduled to work calls in. Generally drivers "on call" end up not having to work---they are simply a safety net in case something goes wrong.

To those who suggested the OP simply turn off or not answer his phone---it is easy to give this advice when you are not the one who will have to deal with his mgt team on Monday. While they cannot discipline him for not being available while "on call" they can certainly give him some grief over blowing them off.

The alternative would be to over-staff and then send people home.

bumped

This was grieved years ago by us, and we no longer have on call for day after Thanksgiving, and NY Eve. They try every couple of years to do the on call, and it gets squashed every time.

iruhnman630

It says something about the job when they even need an involuntary on-call list considering it is the easiest $60/hr (pllus holiday pay) we can make all year.