I'm "on call" for Friday. A question.

babboo25

Banned
It is not uncommon to have a couple of drivers "on call" on these non-operational days. Drivers asked to be "on call" generally have to call by a certain time to see if they are needed or not. No, the time spent being "on call" is not paid time. They put drivers "on call" in case they receive unexpected volume or if a driver already scheduled to work calls in. Generally drivers "on call" end up not having to work---they are simply a safety net in case something goes wrong.

To those who suggested the OP simply turn off or not answer his phone---it is easy to give this advice when you are not the one who will have to deal with his mgt team on Monday. While they cannot discipline him for not being available while "on call" they can certainly give him some grief over blowing them off.

The alternative would be to over-staff and then send people home.

Does any driver at UPS really care what management thinks of them? All my driver sups are fat, lazy and incompetent, not to mention their gone by 430 everyday. No Full Time employee (except feeders) should be placed ON CALL, its not in the contract. Management likes to make up new policies as they go. If we alllow them to do this our contract is meaningless.

Indecisi0n

Is there an on call procedure in your contract? If your on call you should be getting paid something.

This is what happens when you let them have you call in everyday to see if there is work. I bet that isn't in your contract either.

You people need to stand up for your rights and stop letting management make up rules and positiobs just to make there numbers look good.

I'm on vacation but if I wasn't I'd be working or home not on call.

Read your contract people and understand your rights. If it's not in the contract ask your steward and or BA just don't take what your SUP says for the truth.

I have to agree. Management prays on the weak and extorts them every chance they get. Its pretty sad when you see grown mean unable to stand up for themselves.

OptimusPrime

I'm supposed to call them, not the other way around, so turning the phone off is not an option. As per the contract, seems you guys would know better than I. Didn't really get a chance to find out. Got a message on the board around 5:30-6:00, that I was to be on call for Friday, and to contact them by 8:10 at the center. By the time I got in, everyone was gone.

All things considered, I've only been FT 7 months. I'm not anywhere close to being a company man, but I find it a tad early in my career to start stuff. Safety, etc, sure I have no problems calling them on stuff like that. We have to, this is our lively hood, but really don't want to be butting heads with my OCS or center manager at this point over staffing.

OptimusPrime

Got called in, and wasn't jazzed about it. Having spent the majority of my time in the building, we don't get paid for Friday, so I assumed I was just getting straight pay. Find out I get 8 hours holiday for Friday, then double time for my hours worked. Even though I am not top pay, can't be too unhappy with those dollars. Really surprised me that guys at top pay would pass on double time.

Indecisi0n

Got called in, and wasn't jazzed about it. Having spent the majority of my time in the building, we don't get paid for Friday, so I assumed I was just getting straight pay. Find out I get 8 hours holiday for Friday, then double time for my hours worked. Even though I am not top pay, can't be too unhappy with those dollars. Really surprised me that guys at top pay would pass on double time.

I am not even at top rate yet but have already realized money isn't everything.

CFLBrown

Because of the BS that comes with that day. It's a working 'holiday' and it winds up being a late day just like a regular day. They'll stick some air driver in an area they don't know with a heavy dispatch then whomever is done earlier, or is closest gets to bail them out. As indecisi0n said.. money isn't everything.

jaker

trolling
Remember family is why you work here , so don't let this job take you away from them

We don't get that many days off to where we can get some good family time in , so when they come around I pick family over UPS

OptimusPrime

I am not even at top rate yet but have already realized money isn't everything.

True enough. But at the same time I suffer from Peter Pan syndrome. Got a minimal house payment, truck payment, etc. I have a penchant for consumer electronics and shopping on Amazon. I enjoy having money to burn. (No wife or kids soaking up my paychecks, lol.)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

True enough. But at the same time I suffer from Peter Pan syndrome. Got a minimal house payment, truck payment, etc. I have a penchant for consumer electronics and shopping on Amazon. I enjoy having money to burn. (No wife or kids soaking up my paychecks, lol.)

Make sure you pay yourself first before paying others.