In the history of useless things this is the most useless thing

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
206A5E95-59F9-4DEA-A799-94AB7D195C9A.jpeg
0AC84968-EFDC-4532-A017-E9A50B05BC04.jpeg
God forbid you park a couple inches off the dock or don’t step in that 3 inch wide section.
Do you have any idea how bad it would hurt to whack your kneecap on one of these bastards? Its a 15 pound iron bar with a steel ball on the end.
Plus when it is installed you cant slide a handcart off the back bumper, or lean it on the bumper to load.
It would also be a major tripping hazard for the preloader.
They are removeable for a reason. The new cars even have a receptacle in the back corner to stow them when they are not in use.

oldngray

nowhere special
View attachment 232581 View attachment 232582
Do you have any idea how bad it would hurt to whack your kneecap on one of these bastards? Its a 15 pound iron bar with a steel ball on the end.
Plus when it is installed you cant slide a handcart off the back bumper, or lean it on the bumper to load.
They are removeable for a reason. The new cars even have a receptacle in the back corner to stow them when they are not in use.
Why not do it the old way with the bumper having a section that flips out of the way when you need to use the hitch?

G-Money

I would honestly vote the door chain being more useless than the agreeably and extremely inconvenient allocated tow hitch. I may be a newbie but I still fail to see the need behind that chain.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Why not do it the old way with the bumper having a section that flips out of the way when you need to use the hitch?
Because those went under the bumper and would drag and bottom out on steep driveways, especially on P-1000’s. These new ones are higher, they go over the top of the bumper and dont have that problem.

oldngray

nowhere special
Because those went under the bumper and would drag and bottom out on steep driveways, especially on P-1000’s. These are higher and dont have that problem.
We didn't have hitches on anything bigger than an 800. It would scrape, especially backing down into some docks. It is what it is.

watdaflock?

...I am speaking of the little flap that covers the hitch receiver on the new Freightliners.
As far as I can tell, it serves utterly no purpose other than to
(A) Scrape the flesh off of the drivers knuckles as he tries to insert the hitch pin and connect the safety chains, and
(B) Block his view of the hitch pin so that he is forced to get down on both knees, tilt his head sideways, and fellate a flashlight in order to see the cotter pin hole and get it inserted.
To make matters worse, the damn thing is riveted to the hinges. Because if it were attached with screws I would have already removed it.
Neat.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I would honestly vote the door chain being more useless than the agreeably and extremely inconvenient allocated tow hitch. I may be a newbie but I still fail to see the need behind that chain.
So that the driver who drives off with their back door open..... (@Big Arrow Down...D )can't claim a mechanical failure caused them to drop packages everywhere when they are coming back to the building

rod

Retired 22 years
View attachment 232581 View attachment 232582
Has the inside of that truck ever been washed out? I used to wash mine out at least twice a month. They would yell and scream at me for doing it on the clock but I didn't care.

brownIEman

View attachment 232573 View attachment 232574 ...I am speaking of the little flap that covers the hitch receiver on the new Freightliners.
As far as I can tell, it serves utterly no purpose other than to
(A) Scrape the flesh off of the drivers knuckles as he tries to insert the hitch pin and connect the safety chains, and
(B) Block his view of the hitch pin so that he is forced to get down on both knees, tilt his head sideways, and fellate a flashlight in order to see the cotter pin hole and get it inserted.
To make matters worse, the damn thing is riveted to the hinges. Because if it were attached with screws I would have already removed it.

Maybe it was designed by amorous flashlights?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
When you hit a bump that pops your rear door open you'll figure it out.

iowa boy

Yes but there still is barely enough room to get your hands in there to put the hitch and cotter pins in. Plus the flap acts as a shade so after dark you cant even see in there without holding a flashlight in your mouth.

After 6 months or so, the hinges will wear out and the door won't stay up so you will be trying to hold the door up slide the hitch pin in and try and get the cotter key on all at the same time.