Incandescent, CFLs, or LEDs

Bulb Cost
LED - most expensive
LCD - expensive
Incandescent - fairly inexpensive

From what I have read, GE was the biggest "pusher" of LCDs since this would decrease their competitors and increase their margin.

Have not heard of any lobbyists pushing LEDs yet.
Bulb Cost
LED - most expensive
LCD - expensive
Incandescent - fairly inexpensive

From what I have read, GE was the biggest "pusher" of LCDs since this would decrease their competitors and increase their margin.

Have not heard of any lobbyists pushing LEDs yet.
I put some LED bulbs downstairs.they work much better, than the LCD BULBS. Picked up a few at home Depot for $8.97 each.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
From what I've read if we accept it OLED lighting will just come in our paint and be painted on the wall. It will give a natural glow much more like sunlight.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Problem with GE is their lamp (bulb) business is suffering because a large part of new construction is going to LED fixtures which have the LED light source (led's and drivers ) integral to the fixture,hence no new lamp or future replacement. GE's product offering for commercial and industrial fixtures is limited. The big guy on the block is Philps their LED lamp( bulb) business is big plus their consolidation and
acquisition of many different lighting companies under the Philips umbrella makes them formitable. They acquired Color Kinetics early on which was way ahead of the curve in LED technology.Philips only problem is they have gone to an SAP system which has screwed them up royally.They have the technology ,the resources ,everything but their computers won't let them ship anything in a timely manner .Once they get it fixed if it doesn't take them under they will be the biggest.

barnyard

KTM rider
We have been regularly replacing bulbs with LEDs for the last few months. We are making an effort to make sure that the bulbs we are replacing are the ones that are on more than others.

The shocker was pricing a 3 way bulb. Oh my. That will have to wait.

rod

Retired 22 years
I grabbed two four packs of incandescent 60 watt bulbs the other day at the grocery store just because I'm a creature of habit and they were only 88 cents apiece. Sue me.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
CFL's and LED's, programmable thermostat, proper insulation, common sense practices, etc. My electric bill last month was $52. Environmentalists need to stop trying to convince people to save the earth, and start trying to convince them to save money.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The public might be better served with an affordable, simple and efficient way to heat water. Those instant-on heaters take nearly a lifetime to pay off economically.

The public might be better served with an affordable, simple and efficient way to heat water. Those instant-on heaters take nearly a lifetime to pay off economically.

Yea but when you know you can be the last in the house to shower and have enough hot water to last till the end of time you don't care.

pretender

My vote is for bulbs
made in the70´s.......

Sent using BrownCafe App

Speaking of which, there is a demand from many audiophiles, for NOS vacuum tubes from the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s. A small tube that cost a couple of dollars in 1960 could sell for over $100 today (depending on the manufacturer).

moreluck

golden ticket member
This link just says to air out the room and sweep it up..... Is that too complicated for you? CFL's will poison you and electric cars will burn your house down while you sleep.... you sure do scare easy.

Laugh all you want, but
You forgot to read it all........
Before Cleanup
  • Have people and pets leave the room.
  • Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
  • Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
  • Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
    • stiff paper or cardboard;
    • sticky tape;
    • damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces); and
    • a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.

During Cleanup

• DO NOT VACUUM. Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. Vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
  • Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder. Scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag. See the detailed cleanup instructions for more information, and for differences in cleaning up hard surfaces versus carpeting or rugs.
  • Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

After Cleanup

• Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
  • Next, check with your local government about disposal requirements in your area, because some localities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center. If there is no such requirement in your area, you can dispose of the materials with your household trash.
  • If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

moreluck

golden ticket member
....or you could just sweep up the broken glass and throw it in the trash....
That's following the methods???
That's not what your gov't wants you to do. Those are the instructions for the incandescent bulbs.
An example......
I thought I was in a foreign world when some little girl got sick at the pool. She swam to the side and puked on the edge. The lifeguard and pool maintenance people put on haz.- mat suits, closed the pool (no water was involved). My thought was just clean it and we're done.....rag & bucket is all you need.
But no, everything is too hazardous now.

I lived through leftover pepperoni pizza that wasn't refrigerated. Our neighbor kept her butter in the cupboard, not the fridge. We survived!

Yeah, if you don't follow the EPA laws and take short cuts, life (although shortened) is easier!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you naïve enough to think that all asbestos removal/disposal is done by strictly following EPA guidelines? You don't think there are contractors who to this day simply bag it and throw it in with the rest of their construction debris?

When I was in the military we were instructed to use JP-4 (jet fuel) to kill the weeds around our building.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Are you naïve enough to think that all asbestos removal/disposal is done by strictly following EPA guidelines? You don't think there are contractors who to this day simply bag it and throw it in with the rest of their construction debris?

When I was in the military we were instructed to use JP-4 (jet fuel) to kill the weeds around our building.
Don't forget the paint chips that have lead in them.