inclement weather call in

bscott85

hi i was wondering if any one has had any experience with this:

it snowed almost 2 feet here saturday

i live on a private road (the state/county doesnt scrape it)

i dont have a 4 wheel drive car

i shoveled my driveway but cant get up the hill of the private road (its a big hill, owned by the developer whos still building in our neighborhood)

so anyway i called in today to tell my supervisor i couldnt get to work and he says were gonna have to take it up with the steward when i come back

can they really hold this against me and issue some form of discipline?

dcdriver

nations capital
Why do you not park at the top of the hill before the storm. Your know today and tomorrow are peak days of the year. Just my opinion.

rod

Retired 22 years
Why do you not park at the top of the hill before the storm. Your know today and tomorrow are peak days of the year. Just my opinion.

Wasn't 3/4 of D.C. shut down by the storm? Maybe they should have parked elsewhere so they could make it to work:wink2:

i shoveled my driveway but cant get up the hill of the private road (its a big hill, owned by the developer whos still building in our neighborhood)

so anyway i called in today to tell my supervisor i couldnt get to work and he says were gonna have to take it up with the steward when i come back

As long as you called in you should have no problem. If they needed you that bad they would have sent someone to pick you up. The only problem is once they pick you up you have to get your own way home. I went through that many times.

No,because probably 1/2 the building was gone. i live in the boonies myself and on rare occasions,in the opinion of this UPS trained driver,it is unsafe to attempt to go in then I don`t. It`s an absence thats all.

chopstic

I'm sure it will be counted as an absence, and can be used to discipline you if you accumulate enough absences within a 9-month period. But there's no other way they can discipline you for it.

JustTired

free at last.......
As long as you called in you should have no problem. If they needed you that bad they would have sent someone to pick you up. The only problem is once they pick you up you have to get your own way home. I went through that many times.

In my 25 years, there were a handfull of occasions where I couldn't get out of my driveway. Let alone get down the rural road I live on. I would call in and they would say they were sending someone to pick me up (20 miles one way). Never happened.

They would tell me that I needed a 4-wheel drive vehicle. I would tell them that I didn't because when I did get to work, I didn't have a 4-wheel drive vehicle there.

In my younger days I did some pretty dangerous things to make it to work and complete that work. With age comes wisdom !!!!

I think I would take a few pictures of the road and the snow, just to help your case, if it comes to that. I do agree that unless you have many absences this one should not be a problem.

over9five

Staff member
I've never booked off because of inclement weather, but the morning after last years ice storm I had to book off because I quite literally could not get off my street. Too many downed trees.

I did feel bad, it was during Peak, but I honestly couldn't get there from here.

L

Loufan

2 feet of snow? when it iced up last year at least half the belt didn't show up. I wouldn't risk screwing up your car or getting injured. 2 feet wow

Re-Raise

If you are a driver the easiest thing you will do all day is get to work...the fun starts when you try to deliver all day in 2 ft of snow.

In 25 yrs in the midwest they have NEVER told us its too tough out there we will get it tomorrow.

rod

Retired 22 years

Like your avatar name

[video=youtube;8GFq6usPg6U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GFq6usPg6U[/video]

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We have a CYA policy that management uses to cover their butts, and I'm wondering if you have something similar at Brown? It is up to the driver to determine whether he/she goes on the road and to decide that conditions are "unsafe". That way, if you decide to go out and slide into the ditch on 3 inches of glare ice it goes down as a "preventable" and management can say you made the choice to drive. Their shiny little behinds are off the hook.

That said, anyone I've ever seen try to use this is browbeaten to within an inch of their lives and made to feel as though they've just denied food to a starving child. They also suffer massive retribution as soon as possible. Translation: You have to go out, no matter how bad it is.