Injury Issues

D

digital

I appreciate everyones posts. I made my feelings known to my union rep about the situation and I also let the center manager know. The first day it felt like they pointed the finger at me. The next day I came in it seemed like they were running from that stance as quickly as possible. I'm certain I painted yet another target on my back judging from today. Oh well, just gotta make sure I stay in the right. It was kind of hilarious today after my 3 1/2 hours were up, one of the supervisors basically chased me out into the yard.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I appreciate everyones posts. I made my feelings known to my union rep about the situation and I also let the center manager know. The first day it felt like they pointed the finger at me. The next day I came in it seemed like they were running from that stance as quickly as possible. I'm certain I painted yet another target on my back judging from today. Oh well, just gotta make sure I stay in the right. It was kind of hilarious today after my 3 1/2 hours were up, one of the supervisors basically chased me out into the yard.

That's what happens You have painted a bulls-eye on your back. That is what happens when you stand up for yourself at UPS. Just work safe and concentrate on getting the stuff loaded correctly. As far as chasing you off after 3 1/2 hours, what do you mean? Did you finish your work? And this sounds like harassment that should be dealt with by the grievance procedure. And depending on what you mean, this could possibly be classified as 'fearing for your safety'.

D

digital

Well if I didn't think I put a target on my back I certainly did now. The "light duty" that was assigned by the center manager was Thursday and Friday. Monday mourning I came in and sure enough they put me right back where I was. The heaviest pull in the building. This was a bit of a shock because the center manager said he knew what my injury felt like personally and they were going to "baby it" to ensure I didnt re-injure it on the job. I thought this was a smart move. But apparently one not worth following up on. So I was displeased especially since it was hurting that day. So I didnt run around like a chicken with its head cut off Monday, I took my time to make sure I didnt re-injure myself, I also shut off the belt any time I couldnt keep up. This drew series critisism from my fellow preloaders on my belt and the supervisors. The only reason they put me down there is because I tend to get things done quick and I did not do so on Monday as a result of the injury. They seemed unable to connect these dots.

Today I went in and I got slammed in the first 5 minutes. I managed to get through it but everytime I shut off the belt, a preloader up the belt would turn it right back on (Im at the end of the belt). So finally 20 minutes later I was up to my neck in packages and I called for the supervisor for "help" as everyone on my belt does, it took him a decent amount of time to get over to me but when he did I told him "Get me off this pull". This did not go over well and an argument ensued about how much work I do, how good I do it ect. I told him I simply do not make enough money in a month to get hurt (my check is usually 130ish a week, you do the math). He said "Well where would you like to go?" in a very sarcastic tone.

I was on a different pull 2 months ago. They bounced me around to every pull in the building and then I did this particular pull for 2 days in a row. On the 3rd day the new girl they hired got kicked out of the trailer, so they gave her the easier pull in the building (the one I was doing). So they moved me down to the end of the belt to my current pull. Now I find out the reason why I got put down there is because no one else wanted to go down there.

After the supervior asked me where I wanted to go, I said back to where I was. He informed me I only did that pull for 2 days and that doesnt make it my pull. Funny thing too because I got that pull because the guy that was doing it got a drivers gig. Everyone else in the building got their pulls because the person that did them moved on, the most senior person who didnt have a regular pull got their pick of the available ones and thats how everyone ended up where they are. Now I'm the most senior without a pull and I cant go back to the one I got? Why? Im not sure how every other center handles this but I found it a bit odd. But oh well.

I told him if I kept doing the current pull I'd end up getting hurt. But before I end up hurting myself I will file a grievance for being overworked. He laughed in my face telling me this was simply not true. Yet every supervisor there refers to my pull as the heaviest in the building. So I told him to get the volume sheets for the past 3 weeks right now because I want to see them. The conversation went on and I told him I dont get paid enough to do twice as much work and he told me this wasnt true either. So at the end of the day we went into the office and the manager who does dispatch was supposed to explain the numbers to me but he went home early (he's earning his money, right?!) So the supervisor I argued with showed me the numbers. He sat there and read out the numbers stating I was 100 something heavier than anyone else one day, 65 heavier the next, 150 heavier this day, only a few heavier that day and I stopped him. I said "but you said I wasnt the heaviest pull? You lied." he told me that since I stated I do twice as much work as anyone else that I was the liar. So I asked him how many over 70s I get compared to everyone else and he looked stumped. The sheet didnt say. But I can tell you this much. My one truck already got in trouble for having 12 over 70s in it last week. That was just ONE truck. I have to kick my a** day in and day out just to make a dent in those trucks.

So here we come to the conclusion. He tells me the center manager is having him monitor me all day tommorow to "teach me how to do the job properly". I told him that the center manager is new and that before he tells me what I should or shouldnt do he needs to come down there personally and help me load those trucks. (thatll be the day!) So I informed both of them, from this point forward if I am heavier in a significant way I will be filing a greivance. I got issues from the manager I and the union rep threatend with a grievance again today so I told them if they give me any more issues I will be filing a grievance. I will be doing this everyday until I get some results. I pretty much enraged every single supervisor and manager there in the same day.

menotyou

bella amicizia
File Art 37 Grievances every day until it stops. Call the 800#, if you think it's that bad, and get a case #.

Oh, and if a sup really chases you, it's workplace violence. Call the police. Seriously.

D

digital

Thanks menotyou. Today was my breaking point. I've been a "team player" since I got there and all I've gotten for it is extra work and made example of in the mourning meetings. Not to mention hurt.

The supervisor that followed me out of the building went like this. I came in Thursday and at the end of my shift I was told I had to sign a paper regarding one of the online safety tests I did. I figured I'd wait to punch out until AFTER I signed it. The supervsior I was with seemd alright with that, the other supervisor (the one I threatend with a grievance previously) came up to us as we were walking to the office and said "he has to leave his 3 1/2 hours are up". To which the supervisor said as soon as I signed I would. So I signed and she followed me over to watch me punch out and then followed me until I walked out the door. I thought it was hilarious. I wish I had as much spare time at my job. She was threatend with a grievance because she put her hands on me twice. The old center manager we had put an end to it but now that center manager got transferred and we got a new center manager. Apparently I'm not allowed to work on that supervisors belt anymore (I was told this today when discussing what pull I wanted to go back to). If that becomes an issue a grievance will be filed for that as well. I should not be limited in the workplace simply because a supervisor cant keep her hands to herself.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you have seniority over anyone else that was left working, you don't have to leave. You have seniority.

​Never sign anything!!!!!!

Macbrother

Couple of things Digital.

One, it's unfortunate your fellow preloaders don't have your back. On my belt we stick together and help each other out. Second, don't ever let anyone turn the belt back on that you have turned off. For starters, that's breaking a textbook rule. Next time just press the stop button but don't hit the reset, that way no one can turn it back on but you. Thirdly, you unfortunately broke one of the cardinal rules early which screwed you: you worked at their pace (running and killing yourself) got an impossible job done and what was your reward? the worst pull in the building. Let that be an eternal lesson here and remember it always: Hard work here today means only harder work tomorrow. Give them a fair day's work and no more.

Regarding your pull, you don't really have a ton of control where they decide to work you. The supervisor is under no obligation to move you just because you ask. My best advice here is to work at a reasonable pace, let the **** pile up, and let the supervisors deal with the problem. They will have to lesson the load or deal with the consequences. If they touch boxes, file, if they harass you, file.

D

digital

mentoyou, noted. This paper was just stating I scored 100 on one of the tests but regardless I will not be signing anymore documents. Period.

Thanks for the post Mac, you are correct. I made the initial mistake of working at their pace. I will be slowing down to a safer pace from now on. This will get me into daily confrontations with management but thats where the grievance process comes in. The preloaders who are union are all great guys and gals. The guy who was turning the belt back on was from the evening shift (we're short handed so we're calling in 1 or 2 local sort guys every night) He seems to be rather touchy and said "when you shut the belt off you only screw yourself because everything gets backed up and we all get slammed then". I understand the logic but at the same time..I have no choice. The guy who usually works up the belt from me has said the same thing atleast once before but hey..theyre more than welcome to take a crack at that pull.

That's also another thing. My belt supervisor works daily on our belt loading up everyones trucks. We only have 3 people on that belt with 10 trucks and I've got 4. One guy always has 3. The girl who has the other pull just has 2 usually but does get a 3rd every once and awhile. We used to add a route on that belt that would add 2 trucks and another preloader to load them but we havent done that since the new guy got here. So basically we're always reliant on the supervisor to help us load all our trucks. Is this considered a violation of the union regs? I've been there for 6 months or so and every single day they're loading trucks.

gingerkat

OP,
I'm going to weigh in my .02. Firstly, I don't know what state you are located in, so it's hard to give accurate advice...so where are you? I'm going to give you some advice from my state, California and from the standpoint of a non UPSer (so no one kill me please). Here, no matter what your injury is, you MUST claim all injuries immediately to human resources or you could lose your job. This is to protect both employer and employee and to get the employee evaluated A.S.A.P. As this is the standard, it rarely happens because most people need the money. Workers comp will pay for all medical visits, prescriptions and 66.6% of your paycheck, tax free and keep your medical insurance going. I know you guys have contracts and unions, so it could be different. Also, your sup coerced you into signing a paper, and I'm very sure that is illegal in all states. You should have had some time to read, think, reread and maybe have a rep with you for back up.

BUT... this is where the law comes in. If you wait for "peak" season to make more money and then back date your claim, when it goes to court, it's going to look fraudulent and you will be raked over the coals by attorneys as to why you didn't file right away and end up with nothing. Workers comp attorneys are very different than your average family law, or any other attorney, they are governed differently by the court system and go to extra effort to find discrepancies.

Are you a part time doctor? (sorry for the sarcasm) If not, please let a licensed M.D. evaluate you and make the determination of your injuries. I say this with such vim and vigor because of my own injury. I used to work a 75 hour week making the almighty dollar and I got hurt. I loved my company and I only asked them to pay my ER visit. I thought I was healed, but a year or so later I needed surgery and I never was the same. So thousands of pain pills later, doctor visits, etc., I'm wondering "what the hell"?

So maybe for your own good, take care of you first?

Macbrother

I sort at the top of our belt, so when the belt's off, me and my fellow sorter are the ones that are going to get hit the worst, so I know all too well the consequences but sometimes it necessary. If I have 6 50 lb paper boxes coming at once and they are already past me, for instance, cutting off the belt and getting them in the truck is far more efficient than dragging them all the way back one at a time. As long as we see someone is busting their ass and not loafing around I'd never hold turning off the belt against them. It's simply a necessary evil under current production standards.

A supervisor loading a truck is a textbook grievance, management cannot do union work per the contract, this is spelled out very clearly. This is a classic case of the center trying to do with less, make them pay. By the way if some bloke blows smoke up your ass about production standards don't worry about it, they are not enforceable; just be on time, focus on misload reduction and do a fair day's work.

D

digital

Thanks mac, I appreciate the advice and intend to use it. A number of times today I thought about shutting the belt off without resetting it but I figured that would send the dude over the edge so I re-thought it hah. We'll see how tommorow goes.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's also another thing. My belt supervisor works daily on our belt loading up everyones trucks. We only have 3 people on that belt with 10 trucks and I've got 4. One guy always has 3. The girl who has the other pull just has 2 usually but does get a 3rd every once and awhile. We used to add a route on that belt that would add 2 trucks and another preloader to load them but we havent done that since the new guy got here. So basically we're always reliant on the supervisor to help us load all our trucks. Is this considered a violation of the union regs? I've been there for 6 months or so and every single day they're loading trucks.

If they are loading trucks you need to be filing supervisor working grievances. Not only will u end up working more hours but I believe u should be paid double time for all time a supervisor works. They are allowed to train and supervise u that's it. No loading no splitting the belt no even stacking packages.

D

digital

To my suprise when I walked in today I was given a different pull. We had more routes on today (this is new, normally they cheap out on that front) so they gave me 2 trucks plus one from my old pull. They hired a new girl and they put her on my old pull (the heavy one) minus the one truck they sent down to me. So today was a far easier day even though I was up over 800 packages. My pull was usually 3 1000 trucks and one smaller one. The new girl had to do the 3 1000's but she couldnt so the supervisor spent literally alll day loading 2 of her trucks. She only had to load one. Union rep was brought up to speed on this. Even though I had an easier day getting the 8 pages of add/cuts when they decided to add a route in the last hour kind of irked me a bit.

That place today was a total cluster...well..you know what I mean. :) Dropped my name in the hat for a temp driver gig for the holidays. Here's to hoping. Thanks to all for your posts!

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Preload makes no sense anymore. I used to load 3 trucks and averaged 900 pieces. When we got EDD 5 years ago or so suddenly they thought I should be loading 4 trucks, 3 of them P1200 and a P1000. 1300 pieces...ridiculous. Luckily it only last a few days and they adjusted. Good luck bud!

D

digital

Well, here's an update and things have not changed much. If they have they have gotten worse.

After 2 days of light duty I was moved back to the heavy pull. The volume I received seemed to even increase a bit and with the holidays coming I'm not suprised. I took the good with the bad for the first few days shutting the belt down whenever I could. I asked my supervisor flat out why I was being put down there and he informed me that I was not allowed on the other belt in the building due to the threat of a grievance against that belts supervisor for putting their hands on me...twice. This all happend in my 2nd month. I'm in my 6th month now and this is the first I have heard of this policy. A supervisor cant keep their hands to themselves so naturally I'm the one that needs to be "isolated". The lack of logic here boggles the mind.

A few days ago I go into an argument with our dispater/supervisor. I got hurt for "doing too much". So whenever 6 pairs of tires came down to my truck I didnt load them. I told the dispatcher as he walked by "Hey man, this will not fit..so just a heads up". Nothing gets done for 2 hours so I decided to get what I could into the truck so the drivers could leave. He then comes to me with 6 pages of add/cuts and tells me to move a bunch of stuff including the tires from that truck into MY OTHER TRUCK. I told him good luck I couldnt get to the tires if I wanted to. He said it was on me, so like a good little employee I went crawling through this truck and got the tires out. Promptly after punching out I went to find him to discuss why this was done then and not earlier when I informed him of the problem. An argument ensued and I got pretty upset.

Yesterday I made yet another request to put on any other pull in the building due to the fact that job can not be done safely. I was ignored for the 4th time. The supervisor then flipped due to the use of my language skills. Today I got absolutely obliterated with volume. I was atleast 30 percent heavier than anyone else. A supervisor walked by and asked me "How I was doing" while eying the paramid of stuff in front of all 4 of my trucks. I asked him if he had a camera so that I could show everyone what I have to deal with. He then accused me of being slow. This is the same supervisor who stood in the room with the center manager and me when I was told to "slow down, we dont need a super hero." When the supervisor accused me of being slow I turned around and showed him my shirt and pants. I had ripped my shirt and had god knows what from head to toe. I said "does it look like I'm taking it easy down here?". He responded by saying "I'm not sure how many jobs you've had, but how you deal with this job will follow you for the rest of your life". I didnt appreciate the threat so I immediately sought out my union steward. He was in front of my trucks, saw what I got for volume, told him about everything I've told you folks and I kid you not, the union steward went into the office to "discuss the matter with management" he came out 10 minutes later and I got a verbal warning for misloads!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! He said I've got 1 for every 254 loads. The goal is 1 for every 1000. Funny story because no other pull there breaks 1000. My average volume according to their sheet? 1800 packages per day!!! I asked the union steward why this is the FIRST I've heard about the misloads and he had no answers. Can someone explain to me what is going on? The union steward told me to get a handle on the misloads or I would be terminated. That they would not move me from that pull under ANY circumstances and it was the I realized what was going on. The guy who had the pull before me had misloads out the ying yang everyday, He never got hassled about it. I always heard it was the worst pull so they gave him some slack. I've threated a supervisor with a grievance. Gotten into an argument with another and the first impression the new center manager got from me was me getting hurt on his 3rd day on the job. They put me down there to start the process. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Monday I'll get my written warning. They kicked the new girl out of the trailer for being "slow" and gave her the pull Id been doing for a few days and moved me to where I'm at. They couldnt put her down there because if they did theyd have to do to her what theyre doing to me. That was the whole point I think. The union steward was of no help at all. If anyone has any advice please feel free. Critisism is welcomed whether it be constructive or otherwise. Do you think I should call the 800 number and bypass to the steward? Im leary of that because if I tick that guy off then literally everyone in a powerful position in my center is going to be gunning for me. I think all of them are already lol. Anyways, thanks in advance for your post!

Johney

Look guy just do the job the fastest and safest way possible. Try to avoid misloads as best you can and don't....I repeat don't argue with your supervisor and don't use foul language....EVER! Do your fair days work for a fair days pay don't deliberately slack just because. Just do your job as best you can.....no more. They will see if the crap keeps piling up you need more help. They can't fire you for production(not yet)and as far as I know in my center no one has lost their job over a few misloads here and there.

whiskers

Look guy just do the job the fastest and safest way possible. Try to avoid misloads as best you can and don't....I repeat don't argue with your supervisor and don't use foul language....EVER! Do your fair days work for a fair days pay don't deliberately slack just because. Just do your job as best you can.....no more. They will see if the crap keeps piling up you need more help. They can't fire you for production(not yet)and as far as I know in my center no one has lost their job over a few misloads here and there.

This^... and don't threaten to file grievances, just file them or keep your mouth shut. Now they've started the paper work on you, you should start on them. You don't want to be treated like this. Like others have said it seems you have grounds for sups working, and art. 37 grievances.