injury on the job

vashon76

i been at ups for about six and a half years i work the night shift as a loader. about a month ago i was loading some bulks into a truck and when a peace of bulk fell on my foot i have to go to the doctor for this they had to drain the blood that when under my toe nail the doctor said that i would not lose my toe nail. know a month later my toe nail is coming off my question is will ups compensa me for this or do i have to go get a lawyer. what do u guys think.

Channahon

i been at ups for about six and a half years i work the night shift as a loader. about a month ago i was loading some bulks into a truck and when a peace of bulk fell on my foot i have to go to the doctor for this they had to drain the blood that when under my toe nail the doctor said that i would not lose my toe nail. know a month later my toe nail is coming off my question is will ups compensa me for this or do i have to go get a lawyer. what do u guys think.

You are kidding right? You do know toe nails grow back and will look better than it did before it fell off.

Compensate you for what?

over9five

Staff member
"You do know toe nails grow back..."

Yikes! I did assume he knew that. I was thinking he wanted to see the doc again cuz he had some pain issue or something.

Overpaid Union Thug

I had something similiar happen 3 years ago but it was at my day job and not at UPS. I had to get my pinky toe nail removed. It was no big deal. I was even able to get it done at the same family practice clinic I always go to. The doc will just numb the area up with some injections. The same exact meds the dentists uses. The toe nails don't usually grow back. Mine suare hasn't. You'll be given some meds to help heal but overall it's not a big deal. You insurance should cover it. Minus the co-pay of course.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
vashon76,
You never mentioned if you filed an injury report that day. Always file an injury report if you are injured on the job. I tripped and had my thumb crushed by an overloaded hand truck when I first started driving. That thumb and the nail has never been the same since. I lost some feeling in that thumb and the nail hasn't looked the same since. I missed two months of work on that one, I guess I was lucky to leave my nail in back of my van before the shipper carried me to the Emergency Room. It was Workman's Comp, I missed two months of work. Good Luck, your problem doesn't sound as bad as mine was.:bored:

satellitedriver

Sue the doctor. He is the one who said your nail would not fall off.
What do you consider as compensation for a toe nail?
If it doesn't grow back, they make nails you can glue on.
I would say you should be compensated for medical costs.
I have lost several nails do to injury and they have always grown back.

HazMatMan

Um, were you lifting that bulk (overweight bulk?) by yourself?? If you were, you deserve to lose the toe.. If not and you had help, my sympathy to you...

HazMatMan

I think anytime there is trauma to a nail (finger or toe) with blood underneath, there is a good chance the nail will fall off. So if it did, do you have trouble walking?? are you crippled? parylized? dead? The nail will eventually grow back. As for the doctor telling you it will not fall off, I can't believe he said it like that and didn't leave himself an out.. As for me being a doctor, no, I am not.....

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
From first-foot experience, so to speak, I've had toenails grow back, but deformed & prone to become ingrown and infected. Even had 1 removed for nail fungus treatment (between surgery & prescription ~$4K:ohmy:). Doc said he could remove it just for treatment and have it grow back (which he thought it would grow back OK-it didn't)or remove it permanently (I now regret not choosing the latter). Don't know about workers or UPS comp. but keep in mind future problems.

disneyworld

I think anytime there is trauma to a nail (finger or toe) with blood underneath, there is a good chance the nail will fall off. So if it did, do you have trouble walking?? are you crippled? parylized? dead? The nail will eventually grow back. As for the doctor telling you it will not fall off, I can't believe he said it like that and didn't leave himself an out.. As for me being a doctor, no, I am not.....
Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?