input please

bb111

I was a driver helper this past peak and was wondering the chance of getting retained as a permanant package handler. I have a good friend that is a driver at the same center and is going to talk to the ct man. to try to help me out!

brownrodster

I was a driver helper this past peak and was wondering the chance of getting retained as a permanant package handler. I have a good friend that is a driver at the same center and is going to talk to the ct man. to try to help me out!

go online and put in an application. If you were a good driver helper then that can only help you get the job. In my hub and ones in the area this time of year they usually don't need people. End of the school year is a good time to get on when college kids quit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your driver is probably your best way to get in to UPS, especially if you were a good helper. I have been able to get 2 of my helpers in to UPS as package handlers but wouldn't have given them the time of day had they not busted their asses while on the road with me. I had one helper who frustrated me to the point where I handed him $10 and told him to take a cab back to the center. Get in touch with your driver and ask him to give you an honest assessment of your performance and then ask him if he would help you get in to the company on a permanent basis. Of course, this depends upon openings which may or may not exist at your center. Good luck!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The last couple of years, the HR person has asked my opinion of the Helpers I used. Some are keepers, some are not. If you showed up everyday and made an effort, you should be a Keeper. If you are a Slacker, UPS doesn't need you. I have had a couple rehired by the end of January, it usually takes a little while for the volume to pick back up after Peak Season. Good Luck.

bb111

Thanks for all the info! My driver is also the steward at the center, does he have an infuence on the ct manager maybe a little more than some of the other drivers? I don't know I was just wondering if that would help my chances! He told me that I did a great job (which I really tried my best) and said that he would put a word in for me! I really want this job bad and IM trying everything I know to do! Thanks again!

cino321

Thanks for all the info! My driver is also the steward at the center, does he have an infuence on the ct manager maybe a little more than some of the other drivers? I don't know I was just wondering if that would help my chances! He told me that I did a great job (which I really tried my best) and said that he would put a word in for me! I really want this job bad and IM trying everything I know to do! Thanks again!

The fact that he is a steward might or might not have influence, depending on the type of steward he is.

That being said; him putting in a good word for you will help HR see that people are pushing for you, but at the end of the day, if you were a good worker and busted your ass, came in everyday, then you'll get yourself hired no problem. It'll happen, just wait a little while for volume to pick up after peak.

brownrodster

Your driver is probably your best way to get in to UPS, especially if you were a good helper. I have been able to get 2 of my helpers in to UPS as package handlers but wouldn't have given them the time of day had they not busted their asses while on the road with me. I had one helper who frustrated me to the point where I handed him $10 and told him to take a cab back to the center. Get in touch with your driver and ask him to give you an honest assessment of your performance and then ask him if he would help you get in to the company on a permanent basis. Of course, this depends upon openings which may or may not exist at your center. Good luck!

wow in my hub all they care is if you have a pulse. it's super easy to get a job here. The turnover is insane.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The center I work is in an economically depressed area and UPS jobs are among the highest paid in the area, where the average income is less than $30K. It is rare that a week would go by without at least 2-3 people asking me if we are hiring. I tell them they can have my job in 11 years.