Insider selling

Channahon

Maybe Jim Kelly has a favorite charity and is making a charitable contribution, which is a pretty good tax write off. He may also be selling his options, before they expire. Some options were 3, 5 and 10 year options.

Sammie

Sure they can sell whenever they want to, but selling just after you've declared you're leaving the company makes Wall Street nervous. It doesn't help when Kelly makes the same decision at the same time. It makes it look like they have no optimism about the future earnings of the company, so why should the rest of us who have been hoping for some returns on our investments?

With the aid of financial advisors or not, Eskew and Kelly surely realize that the twists and turns of a company dictate it's stock prices; cash flow, company growth rate, anticipating future earnings. Buying up chain stores and reinvented our routing, sorting and tracking systems.

Now we have a new contract looming over the horizon with the (difficulties??) of a Teamster multi-employer pension plan. Which I still don't understand 100%, but isn't a main concern the many shipping companies who go under or cut costs and stop contributing to the plan but stable companies like UPS make up the difference. We're the largest teamster employer at the table and newer shipping companies don't want to join the party. So UPS funds retired teamsters who never worked for UPS. That can't be good. I recall that to be one of the issues that brought about the 1997 strike and it remains an issue today.

I sure hope our revenue and growth keep up with what the company will be paying out in retirement $ for the next decade or so.

And as I recall, pension problems among other things brought about the demise of American, Delta and Northwest Airlines.

So I wonder what Mikey and Jimmy know that we don't??? :bored:

local804

Moreluck is right, the moment that any financial advisor sees that your investment portfolio is heavily weighted in one company they will gasp in disbelief, frown... and then strongly advise you to diversify.

If you're in management at UPS and ever mention you might be selling some of your UPS stock your boss will will gasp in disbelief, frown... and then strongly advise you not to diversify.

Moreluck is right so I guess I am wrong? I am not doubting that any financial advisor that sees a portfolio heavily wieghted in one direction will have his/her flags blowing. I agree with that 100% totally and could not argue.
Cheryl,
Who in UPS is going to gasp at disbelief at the ex CEO? lol You act like we are talking about a lower management level employee, lets not forget who we are talking about. He was the boss!!!!! and the boss has sold plenty of other stocks through the years, and yes Chan- he has donated it to charities per his filings in past years. Do you think it is possible for UPS to see if a low level management employee is selling stocks now that the company is public and that Mellon handles all transactions? They might have known about this before the ipo but would find it very strange if the company has access to this information now. Cheryl, How would you know about management tactics if a suit was trying to sell stocks?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Cheryl, How would you know about management tactics if a suit was trying to sell stocks?

local.....both Cheryl & I know about "tactics" because we've lived it through our mates.

UPS Lifer

Rule of thumb: Subtract your age from 100 and that is the % you should have in stock or mutual funds. Nobody should have all their eggs in one basket...espeicially in one stock! Yikes!!!

This is an overwieght position and is not smart. When you reach retirement age you need to diversify your holdings and preserve your wealth with low risk instruments such as bonds.

PLEASE don't compare his public actions with Martha Stewart. She had insider info and acted on it....and then she denied it!!! Kelley is publicly announcing his intentions to the SEC. This is why you know about it. As a former officer and member of the board he has an obligation to file his intentions.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Cheryl, How would you know about management tactics if a suit was trying to sell stocks?
local.....both Cheryl & I know about "tactics" because we've lived it through our mates.
Moreluck's right again: not only my husband though, my dad worked there too... that means that I have witnessed 1 gazillion dinner table discussions about pro and cons of this topic over my 47 years of life.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Moreluck is right so I guess I am wrong? I am not doubting that any financial advisor that sees a portfolio heavily wieghted in one direction will have his/her flags blowing. I agree with that 100% totally and could not argue.
Cheryl,
Who in UPS is going to gasp at disbelief at the ex CEO? lol You act like we are talking about a lower management level employee, lets not forget who we are talking about. He was the boss!!!!! and the boss has sold plenty of other stocks through the years, and yes Chan- he has donated it to charities per his filings in past years. Do you think it is possible for UPS to see if a low level management employee is selling stocks now that the company is public and that Mellon handles all transactions? They might have known about this before the ipo but would find it very strange if the company has access to this information now. Cheryl, How would you know about management tactics if a suit was trying to sell stocks?
ummm, you're getting aggressive with me because I didn't address your rhetorical questions?

I answered the one that had an answer, the rest would be pure speculation. I don't have access to any information that explains why he sold stock, neither do you.

spec·u·la·tion
  1. Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence; guesswork.
  2. A statement, opinion, or conclusion based on guesswork: Local804's speculations are impossible to verify.
  3. Reasoning that involves the formation of conclusions from incomplete evidence.

moreluck

golden ticket member
local 804.....you have just come to the realization that took my hubby over 40 years to realize.............I am always right and don't you forget it !!:wink: :)

local804

Yes Cheryl
If you think using the word please to answer a question is being aggressive, so be it.
I will end my discussion on this topic before I am accused of violating the TOS and am accused of having a personal vendetta against the owner of the website.
Last post on this topic.

mathematics

United Parcel Service (NYSE: UPS) posted good third-quarter numbers, with each of its segments showing year-over-year growth (even its sluggish U.S. small package operation). On the UPS discussion board, community analyst Cameron Wright (TMFMrCHW) concludes that UPS "is a good conservative way to have exposure to global growth" and we agree. The company's announcement on Oct. 30 to repurchase another $2 billion worth of its own undervalued stock is an excellent allocation of capital. Barring an economic recession, this stock is a strong buy right here, right now. For more on UPS, see Fool.com's An Impressive UPS Pickup.

F

Former optimist

Sure they can sell whenever they want to, but selling just after you've declared you're leaving the company makes Wall Street nervous. It doesn't help when Kelly makes the same decision at the same time. It makes it look like they have no optimism about the future earnings of the company, so why should the rest of us who have been hoping for some returns on our investments?

I see no reason to be optimistic when I look around my district. Morale is low, misloads are plentiful and underreported, centers are understaffed in both the management and non-management ranks, and division managers don't understand how to run centers on PAS so they just keep reciting stupid cliches over and over. Seriously - when is the last time a division manager actually worked with a manager for any period of time? They're working as little as they can and collecting their money.

I think we need to follow Eskew, Kelly, the district manager, and division managers leads - quit whining and sell on the upticks. It's every man for himself.

Wow, that message was a downer - and I'm generally pretty optimistic.

T

troll patrol

Another troll spotted, nice try Former Optimist.

So you have information about the division and district managers selling their stock? I have to call you out on that. There's no way you would have that information. Let me guess you're a disgruntled part timer trying to get revenge at you supervisor by posting false information here so his stock goes down.