Interesting study

texan

Know that airbase well.
Gateway of Air Force travel.
During Gulf War I, it had landings and take offs every 5 minutes, as we built up forces and supplies when Sadam would not leave Kuwait.

He then was usherd out by General Schwarzkopf, the Air Force, Marines, US Army, and other countries quite quickly.

I was part of the 7th Corp from Germany.

texan

Really. Never heard of people stationed there, but I do not doubt you at all.
I knew of the Airborne unit in Vicenza.
I have never been to Italy.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

WOW Did you get time to wander around and see the sights?

Yes. A lot of the guys rarely if ever left the base. I knew that I would probably never have gone to Sicily had it not been for Uncle Sam so I took advantage of the opportunity. I recall one weekend where a friend of mine and I rented a two seat car and just rode around the island. There was a local flea market that I would go to where bartering was encouraged and there were a couple of local restaurants that I enjoyed going to. I had fun.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yes. A lot of the guys rarely if ever left the base. I knew that I would probably never have gone to Sicily had it not been for Uncle Sam so I took advantage of the opportunity. I recall one weekend where a friend of mine and I rented a two seat car and just rode around the island. There was a local flea market that I would go to where bartering was encouraged and there were a couple of local restaurants that I enjoyed going to. I had fun.
That would be soo cool. How long were you there? I have always wanted to visit other places. :happy2:

texan

I heard that of all European countries, Italy was the worst to drive in.
Probably not true for the island as much as the main country.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I heard that of all European countries, Italy was the worst to drive in.
Probably not true for the island as much as the main country.

As you well know one of the first things you go through at a new duty station is an orientation session on not only the base but the local area. One of the things they told us is that in Italy if a car flashes their lights at you from behind you must move over and let them go by. The accident rate in Italy was about 3 times ours here in the states. Driving on the autobahn for the first time can certainly rattle you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
As you well know one of the first things you go through at a new duty station is an orientation session on not only the base but the local area. One of the things they told us is that in Italy if a car flashes their lights at you from behind you must move over and let them go by. The accident rate in Italy was about 3 times ours here in the states. Driving on the autobahn for the first time can certainly rattle you.
I've known a few people who would give there right arm to be able to drive the autoban. It is not something that I have ever had a desire to do. I don't have the "need for speed" bug that some do.

texan

I loved driving in Germany. Germans LOVE their autos and rightly so. Some of the best automotive engineers in the world.
I was automotive maint (fancy word for mechanic) and had at least 12 cars there. No I did not crash them.
GI's would bring over their American auto and then not want to ship it back. I would buy them dirt cheap as you can not
clear country until it is solved. They would put a sign on it for 400.00. 2 days before they were to leave country I
would offer say 150 to 200.

Point I bought a 1972 Pontiac Firebird that the 350 cube inch engine was removed and a 1967 Pontiac
Catalina 428 was inserted. It had highway gears 2.73 and would do an honest substanied 150 to 155
on the German Autobahn.

Truthfully, I only took it there a few times. Scary with old bias ply tires. This was 1982.
But I made many a German mad. I would ride along at 100 110 and they would flash me with their head lamps.
It Germany it is the law, you must move over to the right. So when a Golf GTI started to go by me I would open
those giant dinner plate q-jet secondary's and keep even with them at 120. They would get mad down shift their 5 speed
into 4th, slam it into 5th, and I was still there slowly but surely pulling away with that 360 horse, 472 foot pounds of
torque American Big Block. I would hold it at 145 150, steering wheel shaking a little, urine running down my leg, then let off
after a few minutes to get my heart beat back to normal.

My wife finally made me get rid off it. I traded it for a Mercedes.

klein

Für Meno :)
Texan, the far left lane on the Autobahn is a passing lane only !
IT's against the law there to "hog" that lane like North Americans do.
You simply pass, and turn back into a righter lane.
Slower vehicles must always drive on the far right lane (that's the law, too), and can only use other lanes for passing.

And trucks aren't allowed to drive Sundays on the Autobahn period.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's the law here too....left lane is for passing. People who hang out there get the horn or blinking lights to wake them up.

klein

Für Meno :)
It's the law here too....left lane is for passing. People who hang out there get the horn or blinking lights to wake them up.

Yeah,,, that's why I mentioned it. Because you would get flashing lights, if you don't move to a slower lane that is free of traffic.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Yeah, when you're on the I-15 in the Mojave desert on your way to Vegas and trying to go 110 , there's always some old grandpa from Pomona creeping along at 85 !!

texan

Yeah, when you're on the I-15 in the Mojave desert on your way to Vegas and trying to go 110 , there's always some old grandpa from Pomona creeping along at 85 !!
You know what is funny. Now I creep along sort of. My above post on the A-bahn was my wild days. I am settled down now.
my current auto would not do 100 for a long time.

texan

Texan, the far left lane on the Autobahn is a passing lane only !
IT's against the law there to "hog" that lane like North Americans do.
You simply pass, and turn back into a righter lane.
Slower vehicles must always drive on the far right lane (that's the law, too), and can only use other lanes for passing.

And trucks aren't allowed to drive Sundays on the Autobahn period.

Common sir. I had a European license. I know this. I use to bait Germans for a race with my hotrod just to mess with them.
99 per cent of American autos in 1982 would blow up trying to keep up with German autos.

i loved to hang in the center lane and then when one was coming up fast, up I sped up and passed the next one in the middle lane
slowly. I then opened it up to mess with them. Old days of male ego. Forgive me Lord.