Interesting Thoughts To Ponder on this Most Special of Days!

diesel96

Hard to do when the big story of the day is which church is Obama going to join.
Who cares? Do we really have to know? I don't!!!!

OMG....It is a big deal because my conservative friends had me convinced Obama was a Muslim :slap:

I haven't seen Constatine's Sword, so I'll reserve any comment. I will confess I'm a Holiday Catholic...
We go to church on holidays like christmas and easter, take all the good seats and over crowd the parking lot. Sorry jesus, I'll give you 20 "Hail Marys" and 50 push ups....:innocent:

over9five

Staff member
OMG....It is a big deal because my conservative friends had me convinced Obama was a Muslim

I would rather a President who doesn't go to church at all. (And I realize they all do). But I think it's scary to have a man with his thumb on the nuclear trigger believing in myth and mysticism.

Every Sunday wasting hours listening to the magic spells? (what song was that?) Seems to me there are better ways to spend ones time.

over9five

Staff member
Every Sunday wasting hours listening to the magic spells? (what song was that?) Seems to me there are better ways to spend ones time.

Just came to me. Pink Floyd "Time"

Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

diesel96

I would rather a President who doesn't go to church at all. (And I realize they all do). But I think it's scary to have a man with his thumb on the nuclear trigger believing in myth and mysticism.

Nine5, from listening to "magic spells" (your words) many church goers feel spiritual heartfelt gratification and feel inspired to do good charitable deeds and treat their fellow man with compassion, understanding and forgivness as they walk out of their House of worship on a Sunday morning. For those church goers, that may be more productive and better use of their time than walking out of Nine5's favorite Ho Jo's House of Pancakes on a Sunday Morning....."Pass the syrup"

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
When faced with the inevitability of our own mortality, listening to the ancient magic spells brings comfort to many who otherwise might feel crushed under the weight of the apparent bleakness of it all.

The bleakness for us all that is death, and, except for the very, very few who have made a name for themselves (think George Washington, even Britney Spears will be forgotten one day), that we will all be forgotten one day.

If people want to delude themselves (if thats what they are actually doing), to ease their worries and fears, let them do so.

...showed the dangers of when you mix religion and state.

wkmac, if that is the major thrust of that book/movie, I agree that the state involving itself with religion can be a dangerous thing. Again I have not read or seen Constantine's Sword so I should have reserved comment as diesel96 has. I just have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to anything that may seem to have a politically correct, anti-Western slant to it.

Oh, and another thing, Pink Floyd rules!

diesel96

JimJimmyJames,
Ref: Location: Eastbound and Down

I'm a big fan Kenny Powers.....:rofl:

Eastbound & Down

After substance abuse and insanely self-destructive and obnoxious behavior throw a knuckle ball at his major league baseball career, former pitcher Kenny Powers retreats to his North Carolina hometown, where he takes a job teaching physical education at the middle school he once attended. After...

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I used "eastbound & down" as a trucking reference from Smokey and the Bandit not realizing that there is an HBO show by that name. I hear that show is funny so I will definitely have to check it out.

wkmac

wkmac, if that is the major thrust of that book/movie, I agree that the state involving itself with religion can be a dangerous thing. Again I have not read or seen Constantine's Sword so I should have reserved comment as diesel96 has. I just have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to anything that may seem to have a politically correct, anti-Western slant to it.

Oh, and another thing, Pink Floyd rules!

No, I understand your objections and I'm not going to suggest the movie is perfect nor will you come away in the same way I did but I didn't come away anti-catholic if that means anything and when it comes to religion and it's beliefs, I'm betting on his comments, Over9five and I may have more in common than we realize.

My original post starting this thread was to point out that the 2 most important events of western civilization's monotheistic religions are events of political domination that ultimately end with freedom. It was also these religious groups that share a common bond that their greatest times were in seeking freedom to seek their own way, while it was the intent of gov't (Egypt/Rome) to maintain control for it's own interests. Both religions also share a common bond that these events happened at literally the same time of year.

It also proves that sometimes from the greatest turmoil comes the greatest advances and thus I still remain positive over the longrun.
:peaceful: