internship while employed at ups

zarger

If i get a summer internship at a company while working at UPS, would I be able to get the summer off to do it and be able to keep my job, or at the very least, transfer to a center by my internship?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sure....take as much time as you need....UPS always encourages their employees to work elsewhere....of course your job will not be waiting for you when you come back.

S

splozi

Sure....take as much time as you need....UPS always encourages their employees to work elsewhere....of course your job will not be waiting for you when you come back.

Actually they do. During the walk-through lecture, the HR guy specifically stated that you will probably need another part time (or full time) job, as you will be unable to live on your (starting) earnings from UPS.

UPSGUY72

zarger:919710 said:
If i get a summer internship at a company while working at UPS, would I be able to get the summer off to do it and be able to keep my job, or at the very least, transfer to a center by my internship?

You can't take time off for another job unless the other job is the military.

Yes you might need to work 2 jobs. You need to find another job with different hours the the one at UPS.

You can only transfer if your enrolled and going to school in the area you want to be transfered to. Then the manager at that building has to except you.

What other company do you know of that will let you take time off so you can go work for someone else??? MIME

zarger

Yawn.. anyway, it was a question about a school related internship and they say they support school and have education transfer

UPSGUY72

Yawn.. anyway, it was a question about a school related internship and they say they support school and have education transfer

Yawn........ It's not school it a internship there is a difference.

The answer is NO UPS isn't going to give you time off to go work somewhere else and in order to get a transfer you have to be enrolled in a qualifying school near the location you want to transfer to.

You can always pick up the phone and ask your HR rep but they probably already told you what I did.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you are in a Union employee position, then the answer is No.
If you are non-Union employee, the chances are much better.
But regardless, why would you care?
An internship looks good on your resume and increases the chances of getting a better job once out of school.
If you do a good job, UPS will most likely hire you back, when you you return from the internship.
If not, jobs at the UPS part-time pay rate are fairly easy to find.

UPSGUY72

If you are in a Union employee position, then the answer is No.
If you are non-Union employee, the chances are much better.
But regardless, why would you care?
An internship looks good on your resume and increases the chances of getting a better job once out of school.
If you do a good job, UPS will most likely hire you back, when you you return from the internship.
If not, jobs at the UPS part-time pay rate are fairly easy to find.

Unless you get put on the no rehire list which is a good bet will happen.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
What other company do you know of that will let you take time off so you can go work for someone else??? MIME

IIRC, there was about a 2 year period where our Teamster brothers & sisters @ YRCW were allowed to take a leave of absence to go work @ at any other Teamster job that would earn them pension contributions/credits. Maybe even work as a union rep in upstate NY.:wink2:

Southwestern

Have you discussed the situation with your boss? Two years ago we had a four-year employee request the entire summer off to complete a training program for his other job... much to our surprise, the boss approved it.