Is a job at UPS right for me?

Duckwithapipboy

As a few have said here, it's very rare to just walk in as a driver and a pipe dream for a high school drop out who is only 19. You'll likely be a loader first off. So if you're serious, drop the chicken wing and use those legs to start walking. Before I started at UPS I was nearing 260 lbs and didn't have the upper strength for lifting 45+ lbs. waist high. Now I'm 180 chucking 120 lbs irregs onto the dock and loading at a 550 package per hour pace. (Ideally they want you at 360 at the end of the night, but don't complain much if you are over 250.)

Get a 20-30 barbell and start lifting. You don't need to be a hulky bastard, but just enough where your arm isn't looking like an attractive Jello bowl and you can handle a 40 lb. package on your own. After you start loading and get into the pace of it, you won't need to bother with the weight anymore. Every day is like going to the gym. Seriously, go start walking longer if you aren't already. Drivers have to be quick on their feet, but for a loader the only way we get to sit during our shift is if we take a dump. Minimum time is 3.5 hours. Longest I've been in so far was 11 hours in peak season.

Start drinking and carrying around a water bottle with you at all times. No soda, tea, coffee, Kool Aid, lemonade, 4 Loko, whiskey, etc. You'll be going through a lot of those working and if you start working in the dead heat of summer like I did, UPS wants it to become second nature to you so you don't collapse in a trailer due to heat stroke and dehydration. Not to mention it might help you to stop drinking all of that sugar. Once you get the nice pace and weight loss balance from the job you can go back and add those back in. You burn a lot of calories per day if you work hard enough.

You also need to shore up a thick skin against being roasted and harassed. If you let a couple of kids pester you into dropping out, you'll be a target for some of the people you'll be working with. You will be hazed, and you will need to make sure you don't hit a breaking point and quit. I was extremely hazed everyday for a few months until I got over it and just roll with it. If you do near that point, talk with your FT supervisor or HR, or even a shop steward if it comes from your own supervisor.

And seeing as how you are interested in comedy, here is a thread about a guy who thought he was being funny too until he reached that breaking point. For the sake of your future job, don't be like him.
https://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/i-was-termed-today.367586/
[I was termed today.]

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Generally speaking, you are not going to waltz or sashay into HR and get hired as a Driver.
Typically you will start in the Hub and wait for a bid list to go driving. Then you hope you have enough seniority to get the bid.
There are always exceptions, though.

The OP is 6' 3" and weighs 300 lbs. I highly doubt that he waltzes or sashays.

Odyssey2077

Did they give you homework, or take your Ho-Ho's away is that how you were abused
As a few have said here, it's very rare to just walk in as a driver and a pipe dream for a high school drop out who is only 19. You'll likely be a loader first off. So if you're serious, drop the chicken wing and use those legs to start walking. Before I started at UPS I was nearing 260 lbs and didn't have the upper strength for lifting 45+ lbs. waist high. Now I'm 180 chucking 120 lbs irregs onto the dock and loading at a 550 package per hour pace. (Ideally they want you at 360 at the end of the night, but don't complain much if you are over 250.)

Get a 20-30 barbell and start lifting. You don't need to be a hulky bastard, but just enough where your arm isn't looking like an attractive Jello bowl and you can handle a 40 lb. package on your own. After you start loading and get into the pace of it, you won't need to bother with the weight anymore. Every day is like going to the gym. Seriously, go start walking longer if you aren't already. Drivers have to be quick on their feet, but for a loader the only way we get to sit during our shift is if we take a dump. Minimum time is 3.5 hours. Longest I've been in so far was 11 hours in peak season.

Start drinking and carrying around a water bottle with you at all times. No soda, tea, coffee, Kool Aid, lemonade, 4 Loko, whiskey, etc. You'll be going through a lot of those working and if you start working in the dead heat of summer like I did, UPS wants it to become second nature to you so you don't collapse in a trailer due to heat stroke and dehydration. Not to mention it might help you to stop drinking all of that sugar. Once you get the nice pace and weight loss balance from the job you can go back and add those back in. You burn a lot of calories per day if you work hard enough.

You also need to shore up a thick skin against being roasted and harassed. If you let a couple of kids pester you into dropping out, you'll be a target for some of the people you'll be working with. You will be hazed, and you will need to make sure you don't hit a breaking point and quit. I was extremely hazed everyday for a few months until I got over it and just roll with it. If you do near that point, talk with your FT supervisor or HR, or even a shop steward if it comes from your own supervisor.

And seeing as how you are interested in comedy, here is a thread about a guy who thought he was being funny too until he reached that breaking point. For the sake of your future job, don't be like him.
[I was termed today.]

Thanks for the info.
I knew i couldn't just walk in and get a driving job like that and that i would have to be a loader first. My diet that i started a little over a month ago iv'e only been drinking water, eating under or around 2000 calories a day, been trying to avoid processed sugar and Soylent has been half or 3/4 of my diet depending on how i feel that day. I have also been walking outside when it's not too cold and there's a long trail near my house. My goal is to walk 5-7 miles per week on the trail when spring starts. I guess i can buy some weights too and train with those.
I have pretty thick skin and i can take a joke. My dad works in the same sort of environment and he's able to take it and dish it out too if need be. No other students ever bullied me or called me names and i didn't drop out because of things like that. To the link you sent i'm not like that at all and i know when a "joke" can go too far and be hurtful.

If you have any more info you could give me that would be helpful.

Odyssey2077

Attachments

• drink.cb2bc109b153.jpg
    drink.cb2bc109b153.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 102

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Hi
I'm 19, i live near Seattle and i'm 6' 3" and 300 lb.

Iv'e heard from friends that a job as a UPS driver was one of the best paying jobs available that doesn't require a college education. I was having a lot of problems at school so i dropped out in 12th grade and i'm currently working on getting my GED. I only know a few things about working at UPS and i'm not sure if it's right for me. I found this forum recently and i thought maybe you guys could tell me if it's right for me.

My ultimate goal for a job is to be a comedian/entertainer. Iv'e been starting to make Youtube videos and when i turn 21 i plan on going to a bunch of open mics to do stand up. If i was a UPS driver could my job get in the way of doing that stuff on the side? Iv'e read that a driver could work up to 8-12 hours per day, so what time do you guys usually get off? Even if i could get off right before an open mic would i be too exhausted to even want to go? Also if this creative stuff didn't go anywhere would this be a good job to fall back on if those things failed?

The next thing is that i'm fat and out of shape. But iv'e recently have found a diet that's been working for me and i feel like i could get pretty healthy if i keep at it but i don't have everything figured out yet. I have read that being a driver can be a physically demanding job and that you would have to move around packages that are around 150 lbs. My dad has a physically demanding job and he's overweight too (not as much as me of course) and hes able to keep up. If i wanted this job how could i train myself to be strong enough to lift heavy packages all day?

Those are the two main things that worry me about this type of job.
Also in general just tell me about the pros and cons about being a driver/loader.
How do you work your way up to become one? Is it worth it? ect. ect.
If you have any questions about me don't be afraid to ask. Thanks in advance.
No this job is not for you

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Just apply and see if you like it. Ups hires anyone and everyone. Felons, fat people you name it. They don't care if your funny or not

AlphaMikeBravo

"If i was a UPS driver could my job get in the way of doing that stuff on the side? Iv'e read that a driver could work up to 8-12 hours per day, so what time do you guys usually get off? Even if i could get off right before an open mic would i be too exhausted to even want to go? Also if this creative stuff didn't go anywhere would this be a good job to fall back on if those things failed?"

- Yes, you will be tired at the end of the day. You can forget the open mic at the end of your shift. If you are going to drive for UPS, you are either all in or you fold.

"I have read that being a driver can be a physically demanding job and that you would have to move around packages that are around 150 lbs. My dad has a physically demanding job and he's overweight too (not as much as me of course) and hes able to keep up. If i wanted this job how could i train myself to be strong enough to lift heavy packages all day?"

It is a physically demanding job. If your a 300 pounder, your going to have a hard time. Your going to have to have a very strong will to put up with the work that they throw at you. The best way to prepare for this is to start working in the pre-load. You will be trained on how to lift properly and correctly handle packages.

"Also in general just tell me about the pros and cons about being a driver/loader."

Driver pros - Make lots of money...See your boss once in the morning and that's it as long as you do your job correctly...Get to be outside...Chicks dig the UPS guy cause we give them the package(hehe), btw, they REALLY do dig the UPS guy...Health benefits are top shelf...Did I already mention make lots of money?

Driver cons - Kind of sucks at first when you don't have your own route so your mostly covering routes until you win a bid on one which may take time. 10-12 hour days. EXTREMELY physical work especially when the package car is packed like a sardine can which is most of the time. As you get older you will find yourself sleeping on the weekends instead of enjoying them (from being too tired). During the summer the vehicle is like an oven. During the winter, its like a freezer. EVERY November you have to say goodbye to your family and tell them you will be able to see them on Christmas Day.

Loader pros - There are none. You are on the bottom of the totem pole...a lowly minion there to do the Supervisors bidding. If you pass your 90 days probation, then at least you get full health benefits after 1 year. Also I guess you can say that you have an advantage over the seasonal when you put your name on the waiting list to drive. Most hubs you have to wait at least one year before you can put your name on the list.

Loader cons - You are there to do their bidding. If you work hard you will be rewarded.......with more work...

"How do you work your way up to become one? Is it worth it? ect. ect."

Step 1: Get yourself a part time pre-loader job.
Step 2: Work safe and work hard. If they keep throwing more work at you, just keep working within the methods, and don't ever complain.
Step 3: Make sure that you are NEVER, EVER, EVER late and try not to call out sick unless you are dying. Punching in 1 minute after start time shows up as a big "X" (meaning late) on your employee timecard history. Just remember, Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable.
Step 4: Ignore all the degrading comments you will hear from supervisors. Just keep your head up and work hard. They are just testing you to see how tough you are. You may not think someone is watching, but they are ALWAYS watching, and they make note of who the strong workers are.
Step 5: After 1 year of building a reputation as a hard worker and keeping a clean employee record, put your name on the waiting list to drive. If your building has a long waiting list, put your name on for other buildings in your district to keep your options open.
Step 6: When you are called up to drive and are ready to qualify, repeat steps 2 thru 4 and Run Forrest Run!

Disclosure: Some centers don't qualify people on the 1st or even 2nd time around. They really just want to see how serious you are about the job. Don't let it get you down if you get disqualified. Failing is a part of life. It builds character. Just try again and don't ever give up if driving is what you really want to do.

By the way we can probably settle this whole ordeal if you just provide a link to some of your stand up routines. The folks at browncafe have quite a reputation for being downright brutally honest. We are kind of like the Simon Cowells of the online world, so give us a shot and we will let you know if you should proceed with being a comedian, or donate your life to UPS....

Cheers

Odyssey2077

By the way we can probably settle this whole ordeal if you just provide a link to some of your stand up routines. The folks at browncafe have quite a reputation for being downright brutally honest. We are kind of like the Simon Cowells of the online world, so give us a shot and we will let you know if you should proceed with being a comedian, or donate your life to UPS....

Tell us a joke.

I mostly do improv stuff right now (i perform at an improv theater) and the stuff i do have written down only works if it's done or said in a certain way. sorry but when i do have stuff ready i will share.

km3

Just apply and see if you like it. Ups hires anyone and everyone. Felons, fat people you name it. They don't care if your funny or not

You try to be nice, but sometimes you have no choice but to shake your head and ask yourself, "where do they find these people"?