Is a job at UPS right for me?

Odyssey2077

Hi
I'm 19, i live near Seattle and i'm 6' 3" and 300 lb.

Iv'e heard from friends that a job as a UPS driver was one of the best paying jobs available that doesn't require a college education. I was having a lot of problems at school so i dropped out in 12th grade and i'm currently working on getting my GED. I only know a few things about working at UPS and i'm not sure if it's right for me. I found this forum recently and i thought maybe you guys could tell me if it's right for me.

My ultimate goal for a job is to be a comedian/entertainer. Iv'e been starting to make Youtube videos and when i turn 21 i plan on going to a bunch of open mics to do stand up. If i was a UPS driver could my job get in the way of doing that stuff on the side? Iv'e read that a driver could work up to 8-12 hours per day, so what time do you guys usually get off? Even if i could get off right before an open mic would i be too exhausted to even want to go? Also if this creative stuff didn't go anywhere would this be a good job to fall back on if those things failed?

The next thing is that i'm fat and out of shape. But iv'e recently have found a diet that's been working for me and i feel like i could get pretty healthy if i keep at it but i don't have everything figured out yet. I have read that being a driver can be a physically demanding job and that you would have to move around packages that are around 150 lbs. My dad has a physically demanding job and he's overweight too (not as much as me of course) and hes able to keep up. If i wanted this job how could i train myself to be strong enough to lift heavy packages all day?

Those are the two main things that worry me about this type of job.
Also in general just tell me about the pros and cons about being a driver/loader.
How do you work your way up to become one? Is it worth it? ect. ect.
If you have any questions about me don't be afraid to ask. Thanks in advance.

MrFeeder

Expect 10-14 hour days daily. Being a UPS driver has given me so much opportunities in life. It is hard work but I'm not complaining at all.

Upshreeve

Get yourself a job on preload. It will give you an idea of what the job entails and whip you into shape. Be a driver helper next peak season and you'll really get an idea of what driving is like. At top rate, drivers can make six figures averaging about 50 hours a week.

UPS offers long days, good pay, good benefits and a good dose of being treated like a POS.

Don't focus so much on your weight, if you can do the job at 300lbs, go for it. If you feel better at 275, go with that. Being healthy is good, but being yourself can, I stress can, be better.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
What KIND of problems did you have at school to not graduate ?

There are 2 things at UPS that is required at every position in the company.
WORK ETHIC and BE MANAGEABLE

You don't like to be told what to do ? Don't Bother
Working for an hour straight requires a nap ? Don't Bother
You can't be left alone without checking your phone for nearby Pokemon ? DON'T BOTHER

Without an education, your only good path in life is a union trade.
You're young and you have time to figure out YOUR ideal path.

(I really feel this was a troll job, LOL)

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
If you want to " get paid to work out" and eventually make a cr@p ton of money for driving around, then this is the place for you.

clean hairy

Generally speaking, you are not going to waltz or sashay into HR and get hired as a Driver.
Typically you will start in the Hub and wait for a bid list to go driving. Then you hope you have enough seniority to get the bid.
There are always exceptions, though.

Generally speaking, you are not going to waltz or sashay into HR and get hired as a Driver.
Typically you will start in the Hub and wait for a bid list to go driving. Then you hope you have enough seniority to get the bid.
There are always exceptions, though.
I was told recently that UPS require a High School diploma or a GED for PT employment. I assume it would be the same for FT.

Odyssey2077

What KIND of problems did you have at school to not graduate ?

There are 2 things at UPS that is required at every position in the company.
WORK ETHIC and BE MANAGEABLE

You don't like to be told what to do ? Don't Bother
Working for an hour straight requires a nap ? Don't Bother
You can't be left alone without checking your phone for nearby Pokemon ? DON'T BOTHER

Without an education, your only good path in life is a union trade.
You're young and you have time to figure out YOUR ideal path.

(I really feel this was a troll job, LOL)

I don't want to go into extreme detail but when i was a kid i was a abused a lot by a couple of teachers. Then i was home schooled in middle school and then with high school i tried to feel comfortable again but i never could so everyone said i should just drop out if i was gonna be so depressed all the time. I'm doing better now though so no it has nothing to do with "i don't like being told what to do" or "being lazy" it has to do with something else i don't really want to talk about any more.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I don't want to go into extreme detail but when i was a kid i was a abused a lot by a couple of teachers. Then i was home schooled in middle school and then with high school i tried to feel comfortable again but i never could so everyone said i should just drop out if i was gonna be so depressed all the time. I'm doing better now though so no it has nothing to do with "i don't like being told what to do" or "being lazy" it has to do with something else i don't really want to talk about any more.
Did they give you homework, or take your Ho-Ho's away is that how you were abused