Is becoming a temp cover driver worth it until i can become full time?

stevenrg87

I have a full time job I go to right after my mornings at UPS so I would have to quit in hopes of getting enough hours every week to pay bills.

Rabbit

At our hub part time cover drivers do get 40 hours but its not gaurenteed. Do you get driver pay while in your 30 day training period

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I have a full time job I go to right after my mornings at UPS so I would have to quit in hopes of getting enough hours every week to pay bills.
Do what your doing until you drive at least 3-4 days a week. Try to do driver helper during peak to ease you into driving so you don’t go from preload to fulltime driver slave life.

Zowert

You will likely become a 22.4, if you’re okay with that then sure I guess. I have a feeling full time drivers will be a thing of the past once the new contract is signed.

Appvol

I temp drove just to get my 30 days in easier. I went to school for 2 weeks which gave me 10 days towards my 30 days. Then I just drove when they needed me and got the rest of my days in. Then I stopped temp driving and the day they hired me as a driver I just had to make it through that 1 day.

watdaflock?

Guaranteed the moment you leave your other full time job, your hours will be dramatically cut at UPS. Getting towards the end of summer, a lot of people have taken vacations. Temp drivers will not be used as frequently, until December.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Why risk going temp when you can wait for one of those cushy 22.4 jobs I'm hearing about. Heard half days 5 days a week and weekends, oh when I mean half days i mean 12hrs a day sorry to give you false hope. Stick with your original gig and see if any full time bids come out is my suggestion.

JustDeliverIt

I worked preload and another job for 10 years until I could get full time at my hub. As a PTCD, you are only guaranteed two days a week so only count on that. If that works for you, then go for it knowing thats the minimum you'll get. If it doesn't, keep signing up for full time and don't quit the other job until you get it and the guarantee of hours.