Is Driving EASY?

City Driver

WOW you must be the only ONE in your bldg? IF You have to Ask a question like that. You mean theres not a person in your center to ask I think your a spy or a troll or just a maroon .DID They keep you in a box that was fully taped up and you could not see whats going on? you never read any other post on this site? DO YOU EVEN WORK FOR UPS? ITS easy just go to manager say your ready get the keys diad . AND GO GO GO. ITS A EASY.

why are u an ******* to everybody? get a life

satellitedriver

Im probably going to start driving and get training soon..

Is training HARD and is it hard to find your way around when driving?
some reason i just have this fear of going out on the road and getting completey lost ..

any tips
If you have the desire, the job is easy.
Physical as hell, yes.
The training is all about learning the rules and the hard part is not getting flustered.
Most routes are in a concentrated area, so it would be hard to get lost. When I was hired, I drove around my route on the weekends with map in hand. -( On my own time)- I wrote down the number breaks on the street intersections and memorized them. Basically, I was driving at a slow pace and mentally drawing the route in my mind.
I wanted the job and did what it took to get it.
All the "new" technology is great-(sometimes)- and I have no idea how new drivers are trained these days.
Having said that, the most important thing I learned was when I was a cover driver in my first year was to calm down.
When everything seems to be going wrong, just stop for 10 seconds, 20 seconds, or 5 minutes and think the situation through.
1 second of clear thought and planning is worth more than 10 minutes of wasting motion.
Think, then do.
Best of Luck, BJ616.

brownrodster

some reason i just have this fear of going out on the road and getting completey lost ..

Don't worry, we have this awesome technology called EDD which will tell you where to go stop for stop.

And the DIAD has a GPS in it which will tell you if you are not at the correct location.

purplesky

im probably going to start driving and get training soon..

Is training hard and is it hard to find your way around when driving?
Some reason i just have this fear of going out on the road and getting completey lost ..

Any tips

the hard part of driving is working 11 hours a day/5 days a week and having your boss tell you that your not working hard enough. You soon realize that not one person on your management team could actually do what you are doing 5 days a week. Yes they go out on car somtimes but they have a helper. They will show you a report that somehow produces a number that will determine if you are a good driver and if they get a stock bonus. The number will change all the time and will never make you a good driver because ups will always want you to think your a bad driver and that you need more stops to become a good driver. If you understand the ups culture of shortcuts and making numbers you will be ok. If not dont take the numbers personally. Its not your fault. Also dont let anyone ever tell you drivers are overpaid. You will meet lots of people on your route that make good money and you will wonder to yourself what the hell it is they do? Most people have downtime at work! You will never have true downtime with this job! ALSO IF YOU STICK WITH DRIVING GET IN THE 401K RIGHT FROM THE GET GO AND MAX IT OUT! THE PENSION MIGHT NOT BE AROUND FOR LONG. I HOPE I AM WRONG BUT IF YOU HAVE 25 TO 30 YEARS TO GO I WOULD NOT COUNT ON A TEAMSTER PENSION. I HOPE TO GOD THE ECONOMY RECOVERS SOON SO THIS BIG SINKING SHIP CAN STOP TAKING ON WATER.

D

Dis-organized Labor

The hardest part of driving is accurately determining the distance to the green.
The training isn't hard. It's paying for all those lost balls from shanks....

A monkey could drive package nowadays. BUT it takes a Smart,Experienced,Trained monkey to do the job right.

I hope that comes across as a compliment like I meant it to.

NHDRVR

You will either 'get' the job or you won't. I find the monotony of UPS to be the most difficult thing. Another driver will tell you it's the customers, another will say the cardboard. Get ready to find out...

whiskey

any tips
Have no fear. You will be in the hands of the keenest delivery minds in the industry. And they will bring you along, at whatever speed you have been assessed at. And you will be successful. I guarantee it.