Is it normal for PT Sups to take away minutes from your work?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I have worked here for over 20 years and I still keep track of my hours. Thats every day every week for 20 years. Do not trust them to do the right thing. Verify it!:angry:

People will still trust them and fail to verify, even if you showed them an example of a payroll error or time adjustment against you in writing. Just do what you have to do. :)

JDMC1212

the only thing i can say is to check your times every day when your pt sup comes in. we get our time sheets everyday and address any problems we have and get them fixed before our checks come the following week.

Last edited:

hyena

Dont depend on God to punish them you must. It comes back to a if you let me take advantage of you I will mentality. Also if you start before your posted start time you receive time and a half up untill start time. (central region sup any way)

gandydancer

demand a green check for your stolen hours. Once the hours lost are approved, they have something like 2 days to issue the check. After that you start earning an interest of sorts for every day that you don't receive the check.

Whay you start getting is half your guarantee for each week they don't pay you starting two days after you notify them of the shortage (assuming the shortage is not de minimus, in which case they have until the next paycheck), NOT when it its "approved". If you can prove it (see below) it's up to them to get it approved in time to get you the money without your being due a penalty. Again, "The Employer shall not alter the information from the DIAD board, or information recorded through the use of any other technology, so as to diminish an employee’s compensable time, without the employee’s knowledge. Further, THE EMPLOYER SHALL POST FOR THE EMPLOYEE'S REVIEW A COPY OF THE PTE EDITS FOR EACH DAY." It's one of the few good things in the new contract. If you're having this problem, demand it.

gandydancer

Yes.. but we just had a big issue last week when PT supes were talking time away from PT preloaders.. shop steward had a huge fit.. they pretty much jammed as much as they could down the belts (lots of bent, crushed, open boxes) and after we had mounds of boxes and had time to START loading we were asking to hurry up... so in a nutshell like 4 weeks ago we would end st like 8:40AM now we were hitting like 8:20AM it was just getting nuts.

Well, if you could load faster, using the methods, so that you can do all the retapes and still finish 20 min sooner, I guess the supes are right that you've been stealing time. But if you cut corners to prevent the belts from backing up to the sort you've got no one to blame but yourself.

tieguy

Banned
:50 (9:50pm).

I havent complained yet, because for some reason I thought to myself "God will punish him for doing someone wrong", but now its just pissing me off. Also, last Wednesday - Friday, I have had another PT Sup replacing the one that takes away minutes. I'm not sure if the Sup I used to have is getting promoted or something..he always arrives in the last 30 minutes of work.

I don't know if its me but I thought that was an odd phrasing in red.:happy-very:

First question that comes to mind are you swiping in and out electronically? Or are you forgetting to swipe out?

Did you ask the supervisor whether he was estimating your punch out time?

If you don't swipe out the sup may take his best guess just to make sure you at least get paid.

Lot of advice here without any follow up responses. Did you research your times and if you did what did you find out?

opsys

He Who Feeds The Beast
Im a p/t supe. From my experience I can attest that this is not normal. Fudging numbers is a huge integrity issue, and it is literally stealing from employees. You need to log your hours and address this with your steward asap. If hes stealing from you, its probable that hes taking from others. Though as Tieguy stated above, a time clock error may be forcing him to estimate your times. however, you need to log your hours, and he needs to follow up with you the next day.

Kingpin13

I havent complained yet, because for some reason I thought to myself "God will punish him for doing someone wrong",

i laughed out loud

if you live your life this way, you will be taken advantage of your whole life ESPECIALLY in the corporate world...so if u continue to think this way go ahead and drop your pants and grab your ankles now bud

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
It was definitely no error, but everything has been good so far. I've been getting my hours I deserve. Thanks for the help guys.

BIG BAD BEAR

Log your hours daily and when you receiver your check match the two up. If your check is less than what you recorded ask them to show you the totals hours worked viewed daily. If they are less than what you matched by keeping a record they are changing your time and should be addressed. Remember only log what you work and not that your showing up 15+ minutes early.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What is that UPS corporate phone number to report unethical business practices within the company?

UPS has shorted my pay 8 weeks in a row now. The union will not help me. I am so tired of this company lying and stealing and it's about time to get heads rolling (peak or not). I am going to get a laywer if this continues and no one will help.

This is a case of continued harrassment which has been ongoing for 6 months and unethical behaviour towards me....

eastlos

is it normal for your FT manager to not allow your sup to handle your entire areas time and him do it himself? Is it also normal for him to mess with everyone's start time and clock you in up to 15 minutes later everyday? our manager is ruthless! I'm going to have to file a grievance although I'm sure he'll find another way to mess with our area, especially since our sup is a weenie and always gets punked.

gandydancer

What is that UPS corporate phone number to report unethical business practices within the company?

UPS has shorted my pay 8 weeks in a row now. The union will not help me. I am so tired of this company lying and stealing and it's about time to get heads rolling (peak or not). I am going to get a laywer if this continues and no one will help.

This is a case of continued harrassment which has been ongoing for 6 months and unethical behaviour towards me....

If you've filed grievances, asking for back pay & penalties, and the union is sitting on them, then file a complaint with your state's wages & hours board. No need for a lawyer. Just do it.

The Business Practices line is a farce. They won't give you a response in writing, just a number so you can call in later to inquire, in which case they announce it's been looked into and everything is ok. Haven't used it for this purpose, but been there done that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you've filed grievances, asking for back pay & penalties, and the union is sitting on them, then file a complaint with your state's wages & hours board. No need for a lawyer. Just do it.

The Business Practices line is a farce. They won't give you a response in writing, just a number so you can call in later to inquire, in which case they announce it's been looked into and everything is ok. Haven't used it for this purpose, but been there done that.

Here's a thought--perhaps the Business Practices line did not work for you because your situation did not meet their criteria to be acted upon.

gandydancer

Here's a thought--perhaps the Business Practices line did not work for you because your situation did not meet their criteria to be acted upon.

Let's see... Our Code of Business Conduct commits us to obey the laws where we operate. We know a customer is regularly submitting Worldship "invoices" to Canadian Customs through UPS that do not reflect the much higher prices they are actually charging their customers, as shown by the actual invoices found inside the boxes they ship that do not match the "Customs Invoices" on the outside. We, btw, represent to Canadian Customs that we are auditing this process. No, I'm sure that our involvement in submitting false declarations of value was nothing for UPS Compliance to get involved in. Actually obeying our declared Code of Business Conduct is such a laughable idea...

My point, however, is that they won't put in writing even a statement of what they understand your information to be or any statement that they have decided it is not actionable, so that the call can be a step in documenting your concerns. Pure placebo button.

Last edited:

cpio

I started off as a part-timer working the preload at the beginning of '06 in the Metro Jersey district. Here, management has been doing this for years. By that I mean that most of the part-time supervisors on my shift mark down the time you were told "you may leave" and when they do the timecards in the preload office, the time "you may leave" is what they use for your end time. Yes, regardless of whatever you may have been asked to do on the way to punching out. However, most of the preloaders I work with (I've been 22.3 since May) don't have the balls to contest this practice.

If you think your supervisor is doctoring the records, contact your Teamster local and speak to one of the business agents. Your shop steward(s) may not be able or willing to do anything about this.

Are you going to the bathroom to change or wash your hands for 10 minutes? Staring at the punchout clock until it is an even number before you punch out? supervisors notice and shave about 15 minutes off your time. I do it all the time. I have this one guy who goes in the lockers for about 20 minutes and gets changed while hes still on the clock. Thats a no no.

Last edited by a moderator:

705red

Browncafe Steward
You are not allowed to shave minutes or change an employees time card at all! I would have you job for doing this in my neck of the woods!

Do you go in their back pockets and take $20's out of their wallet when they are not looking to?

Last edited by a moderator:

upandcomer

Are you going to the bathroom to change or wash your hands for 10 minutes? Staring at the punchout clock until it is an even number before you punch out? supervisors notice and shave about 15 minutes off your time. I do it all the time. I have this one guy who goes in the lockers for about 20 minutes and gets changed while hes still on the clock. Thats a no no.

I can't begin to address how many things you are doing wrong here and you know it. You are lucky that there is anonymity and I don't work in YOUR district office. I would hunt you down and have you fired immediately.

Integrity is all we got when dealing with our hourly employees, yet we seem to be doing a worse and worse job.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I would pursue this to be paid for the hours stolen from you AND I would want the supervisor fired for theft. If you got caught stealing from the company they would fire you. It works both ways. That stuff used to go on back in the day when I was part time.

Everyone should keep track of exactly how many hours and minutes they work. The company saves millions of dollars by shaving time from peoples timecards.