Is it normal for PT Sups to take away minutes from your work?

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Are you going to the bathroom to change or wash your hands for 10 minutes? Staring at the punchout clock until it is an even number before you punch out? supervisors notice and shave about 15 minutes off your time. I do it all the time. I have this one guy who goes in the lockers for about 20 minutes and gets changed while hes still on the clock. Thats a no no.
You need to address the issue of the employee going to the locker room head on and NOT by deducting time from his timecard. The employee could easily have your job for that because it would be easy enough for him to prove you have tampered with the timecard. At the same it would be difficult for you to prove he has stolen time by going to the locker room.

I can't begin to address how many things you are doing wrong here and you know it. You are lucky that there is anonymity and I don't work in YOUR district office. I would hunt you down and have you fired immediately.

Integrity is all we got when dealing with our hourly employees, yet we seem to be doing a worse and worse job.

Nah, alot of part timers constantly try to steal time. If i send you home at 8:00, ill give you a 5 minute grace period to get a drink and walk to the punchout clock. When i do the time cards and it says you punched out at 8:40, im rolling your time back to either 8:00 or 8:05. I have plenty of integrity, i even tell the shop stewart what im doing and i inform him to address the issue to the kid whos stealing time before he gets fired. Remember i have to explain why someones on the clock. When the sort is down at 8:10 and this guy is still around at 8:30, 8:40, questions will arise, why was he still on the clock? what was he doing? where was he? who is he? It will only lead to me getting in trouble and the employee getting fired or suspended. Im helping him out by fixing his time, he's cheating the company, there is no excuse for that, a bad employee is a bad employee. I guarantee if i let these guys steal the time and input there times as they do, half of them will get fired within a month and i'll probably get fired as well.

You need to address the issue of the employee going to the locker room head on and NOT by deducting time from his timecard. The employee could easily have your job for that because it would be easy enough for him to prove you have tampered with the timecard. At the same it would be difficult for you to prove he has stolen time by going to the locker room.

Its been addressed, he's been written up, his shop stewart knows, my bosses know and he still does it. So i roll his time back every night to when i told him to go. Im not the bad guy, im probably one of the most pro union sups there is, but like i said a bad employee is a bad employee, dont see why you all would protect someone like him and then complain when you get a worthless driver on the road. Think of all those drivers who dont help anyone, call out all of the time, and have 1 million excuses for everything. This kid is going to be that in the future. You all act as though you love him now and when hes a driver and doing the route next to yours, you will be pissed and wish someone had fired him long ago.

Channahon

NY supervisor,

Understanding this is a problem employee, you may want to walk him to the timeclock at the end of the sort. He should not be lingering around and punching out after sort down time, when everyone else is done for the day, to get paid for time not worked.

On the other hand, you should not put yourself in the position of changing his time card, to reflect the sort down time.

You say you advise the union steward, along with your sort manager, who should not be condoning what you are doing. I have seen investigations into time card changes, where the paper trail is detrimental to the person making the changes. In this case, that would be you.

Follow your labor contract for progressive discipline to address this employee for failure to follow instructions.

If I were in your position, as I stated earlier, walk this employee at the end of the sort to punch out. He will get the message soon enough.

JMO

Fnix

I know many part timers that sit by the time clock and steal time and hang out in the bathrooms. If it is 7:42 they will wait until 8 to clock out. They have done it for years and the supes either dont care or never caught on why there is 7 people sitting by the timeclock talking.

I have hinted management on the activity to an extent but they havent done anything. Like when a supe tells me to clock out and hurry up I say to him "Did you say that to the people sitting by the timeclock still?" Maybe they secretly cut there time out of there checks for it.

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
Nah, alot of part timers constantly try to steal time. If i send you home at 8:00, ill give you a 5 minute grace period to get a drink and walk to the punchout clock. When i do the time cards and it says you punched out at 8:40, im rolling your time back to either 8:00 or 8:05. I have plenty of integrity, i even tell the shop stewart what im doing and i inform him to address the issue to the kid whos stealing time before he gets fired. Remember i have to explain why someones on the clock. When the sort is down at 8:10 and this guy is still around at 8:30, 8:40, questions will arise, why was he still on the clock? what was he doing? where was he? who is he? It will only lead to me getting in trouble and the employee getting fired or suspended. Im helping him out by fixing his time, he's cheating the company, there is no excuse for that, a bad employee is a bad employee. I guarantee if i let these guys steal the time and input there times as they do, half of them will get fired within a month and i'll probably get fired as well.

I understand that, but what my sup was doing was writing me in LATE (Ex: We start working at 5pm, but I was written down for 5:15pm, along with that, I got out at 10:43pm, but he put me down at 10:30pm).

I'm one to leave everything fair. Meaning I will NOT punch in if I get to work 5-10 minutes early. I punch in as soon as my sup tells me to do something. As for leaving work, as soon as he tells me I can go, I punch out...then get a drink of water, got o the bathroom, buy something at the vending machines, etc.

Reno Zepher

Another thing you might want to look at is your Guaranteed hours. As a full time Driver I'm guaranteed 8 hours when ever I come to work. Check your Contract. I'm not sure what yours says where you are at. But grow some balls and file. Penalty pay is in your contract for a reason. Stealing time is stealing time. It doesn't matter what side your on. Don't take that. :angry:

I understand that, but what my sup was doing was writing me in LATE (Ex: We start working at 5pm, but I was written down for 5:15pm, along with that, I got out at 10:43pm, but he put me down at 10:30pm).

I'm one to leave everything fair. Meaning I will NOT punch in if I get to work 5-10 minutes early. I punch in as soon as my sup tells me to do something. As for leaving work, as soon as he tells me I can go, I punch out...then get a drink of water, got o the bathroom, buy something at the vending machines, etc.

You definitely need to say something. If your doing everything right and by the book then there should be no excuse for anyone to touch one single minute on your time. Tell your shop stewart too. Your start time may also be staggered and nobody told you, find that out also.

i dont know about yall's centers but ours is pretty old, we have the keypad on the wall. BUT there should be somwhere that allows an employee to change job codes for different types of work throughout the shift (ours is local sort)........... MAKE SURE YOU USE THOSE JOB CODES... because if you DONT,... you leave it up to someone else to change the job codes FOR YOU! and if they dont know what time you did what, they will (unintentionally) make it up!!!! some of those job codes pay more/less depending on skill level so you can see how this can affect pay! if you fail to do this, you have no legal standing on lost work hours unless you dont know how to read or havent been taught to clock in properly.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
i dont know about yall's centers but ours is pretty old, we have the keypad on the wall. BUT there should be somwhere that allows an employee to change job codes for different types of work throughout the shift (ours is local sort)........... MAKE SURE YOU USE THOSE JOB CODES... because if you DONT,... you leave it up to someone else to change the job codes FOR YOU! and if they dont know what time you did what, they will (unintentionally) make it up!!!! some of those job codes pay more/less depending on skill level so you can see how this can affect pay! if you fail to do this, you have no legal standing on lost work hours unless you dont know how to read or havent been taught to clock in properly.

notice how if they ever have to guess they'll short the person and not pay over. Isn't that funny.

Basically what i'm getting at is, the supervisor putting in the time should ASK the employee what their time was and should know if not ask what job skill level they worked. If the sup is guessing, they are stealing. and you know as well as I do they will never ever over a person by guessing.

pkgdog

If you use a paper timecard, the company is required to keep them on file for an an extended amount of time which i cannot remember. If you use a paper time card, fill it out yourself, do not rely on the sup to fill it out. The sup could indeed be taking time away in small increments, the sup may simply have to try to guess your time since the possibility exhist the sup is being yanked in many directions. If you are punching in on a ptm, make sure you do it and do not forget. Regardless, always write down your start and finish times and keep track. You are paid in 1/100 of an hour increments, not minutes. If you come in at 4am and work until 7:45am, then you have 3 and 3/4 hrs. UPS measures this as 3.75 hrs. To figure it yourself, simply divide your minute hour by 60. So 3 hrs 10 mins would be 3.17. Minutes are as follows: 5=.08, 10=.17, 15=.25, 20=.33, 25=.42, 30=.5, 35=.58, 40=.66, 45=.75, 50=.83, 55=.91 and so forth. Write down your hours and minutes daily, add them up at the end of the week and compare. After the sups submit the cards which go to finance, more issues can come up that a sup isn't even aware of with time. It is up to you to verify your hours and if they are not correct, approach your sup. If you get no place there, go to your union rep....if they should blow you off, go to your state dept of labor. Eventually someone will cleanup the mess.