Is it stealing company time?

BigBrownTown

Is it stealing company time to take an issue to my union steward on the clock? New PT tried to tell my area he wouldn't have us seeing our Steward on the clock without his permission. Says he has an open door policy(which means when you ask him something you can expect an openly jerkish answer.) But he really sees no need for the union stuff. He says its more of a privelage than a necessity and that hes perfectly capable of managing without the help of a Union Steward.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Is it stealing company time to take an issue to my union steward on the clock? New PT tried to tell my area he wouldn't have us seeing our Steward on the clock without his permission. Says he has an open door policy(which means when you ask him something you can expect an openly jerkish answer.) But he really sees no need for the union stuff. He says its more of a privelage than a necessity and that hes perfectly capable of managing without the help of a Union Steward.
More than likely yes. What would you need to leave your area to address a steward about in the middle of a shift?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What's the issue?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
More than likely yes. What would you need to leave your area to address a steward about in the middle of a shift?
Harassment, workplace violence, safety concern, etc???
Not sure I would leave my area, but I might stop working until this "open door manager", my steward, and myself had a conversation though.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Harassment, workplace violence, safety concern, etc???
Not sure I would leave my area, but I might stop working until this "open door manager", my steward, and myself had a conversation though.
Safety concern simply quit working until it's addressed. I'm different but harassment to me wouldn't be something to ask immediatly for a steward. See them after the shift.

Workplace violence call the cops.

542thruNthru

Pretty much the rule is, work as directed and file later.

The guy sounds like he wants to play hard ball. Learn the rules and beat him at his own game. Most pt supes don't know anything about the contract. They think they have power and are the boss. Be smarter than him and take your time breaking him down.

To be honest I usually don't wanna see the shop steward till after the fact. It gives me time to think about every little detail and file as many grievances that pertain to them.

BigBrownTown

The guy sounds like he wants to play hard ball. Learn the rules and beat him at his own game. Most pt supes don't know anything about the contract. They think they have power and are the boss. Be smarter than him and take your time breaking him down.

To be honest I usually don't wanna see the shop steward till after the fact. It gives me time to think about every little detail and file as many grievances that pertain to them.

Probably the best answer here.

Dr.Brownz

Read this post 100 times and let the wisdom sink in

Beat them at their own game

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
Best to wait until after your shift to talk with a steward. But if you have an issue with your Sup that may involve any form of discipline during your shift you have the right and responsibility to demand your steward be present. Also don't sweat some pt sup's ego trip they really have almost no power any way all they can do is go cry to their full time boss.