Is it worth becoming FT combination driver ?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Wut? All of the Joe Union's on this forum swore up and down that we would never have a two tiered wage system for FT drivers.
My guess would be that most of these "Joe Unions" voted against it.
It would take a special idiot to vote yes.

I'm glad you won't be able to vote next time.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Haha you guys are all funny !!!

I live in Minnesota... yea I know the starting is at 20.50$ but most people stick with that job forever and four years later I will be just fine with some overtime 30/hr times 1.5x...

It will be enough for cheap vodka and condoms...

You should try to find/talk to some of the drivers at your center.
To become an RPCD at my center takes about 4 - 5 years worth of seniority.

However. Some centers not terribly far away from mine take like 6 months.
Really just depends on the center.

Any old timer driver will be able to tell give you a heads up as to how long it's taking the young guys to move up.

SLW

If you're willing to do it for $20.50, go for it.
I would say the job is just too much work and stress to be doing for that wage in more expensive areas, unless you sneak in with a Reg-Temp rate. But now we have mass unemployment, so I'm not sure I stand by that anymore.

Heavy Package

Is the job worth it ?
Is there a consistent start time ? I love AM start time.
Is the job protected by the union?
Is there a job secuirty ?

Is there anyone that’s currently working that position that can tell me how they like it ?

Geesus -You ask more questions than a 5 yr old girl. Here's your answers:

1. Get in car
2. Deliver packages on days / routes / areas that no one else wants to
3. Get paid a lower wage than a FT regular driver
4. Get abused and yelled at like everyone else

Snack

The part nobody has mentioned yet is that in the unlikely event you are hired off the street, you still have to qualify. And after qualifying, you will eat :censored2: for at least a year before you’re making any kind of consistent money.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
The original proposal was for a 50/50 split.
There was never going to be a 50/50 split. The whole purpose of it was to be able to get drivers at a discounted rate. They sure as hell weren’t going to pay someone $30 to work inside when they could have them deliver for the same price.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The part nobody has mentioned yet is that in the unlikely event you are hired off the street, you still have to qualify. And after qualifying, you will eat :censored2: for at least a year before you’re making any kind of consistent money.

I was fortunate in that I worked 1050 hours in my very first year. Our pension fund credits us with a full year of pension credit if we work 500 or more hours (PT) or 1000 or more hours (FT) in a single year. I retired 9 months early as a result.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There was never going to be a 50/50 split. The whole purpose of it was to be able to get drivers at a discounted rate. They sure as hell weren’t going to pay someone $30 to work inside when they could have them deliver for the same price.

As I recall they were not going to get their on road rate while working on the inside and vice versa.