Is it worth it?

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
I will start by saying I do not work for ups. I have applied twice, once as package handler in 2018 and earlier this year as a pt driver. I was contact by hr about pt driver position and was told it would be a casual driver position. I did the driving test, back ground check, then other forms including tax info, direct deposit etc. Then waited to do the week of driving school. When I starting seeing new drivers in my area I reached out to hr who told me they had put a hold on hiring new drivers and I would be considered in the future. A retired ups driver i know is pushing me to keep trying for a position for better pay and the benefits. I've talked to a few local drivers that encourage me to do the same. Currently I work in the agricultural business 50 hrs a week normally busy season 60 to 80hrs. I'll probably top out around 60k a year( I'm pretty close to that now). If I keep trying and do get hired, I live 40 minutes from the hub I will work at instead of 5 minutes where I work now. I'm 30 and know if I'm going to make the switch I need to now. I'm asking here as opposed to stopping a busy driver because Noone here is on the clock... Would the switch at my age be worth it?
Perhaps

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
If you also want a good explanation of benefits from here. I had a procedure to remove 2 kidney stones that cost $31.5k. I owed nothing.
I payed a copay of $100 and ended up getting that copay back through a check in the mail.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
If you also want a good explanation of benefits from here. I had a procedure to remove 2 kidney stones that cost $31.5k. I owed nothing.
I payed a copay of $100 and ended up getting that copay back through a check in the mail.
I spent a week in the hospital for an infection. They saw my insurance and put me in the heart hospital section of the hospital. The VIP section if you will. 5 days, 1 surgery, countless drugs, antibiotics, scans. Walked out with a $200 bill. Insurance matters.

quad decade guy

You need to focus more on what will satisfy you versus what will get you a few extra dollars. You dropping a job to drive at UPS for the holidays is like running away from home to work with the chain gang.
Ok. But it's way more complicated than that. I suspect MOST people don't find their jobs satisfying but a means to an end.

At 40 years....I would never recommend UPS to anyone. 8 billion people don't work at UPS.

Thanks again guys. I had thought about pt handling for benefits but it wouldn't work with my current job, so I'll have to stay where I am or go full career.
The retired ups driver I know acts like the pay, benefits, and having the union backing you as a employee is worth it. He also told me that when he was driving, a route paid x amount of hours and it paid that whether you did it in less or more time. I'm not sure how it works now.
Searching through the threads, having more driver positions like 22.4 (a current driver told me to ask about that while applying) some people may not be fans of. Not being in the company I'm not sure why?

Thanks again guys. I had thought about pt handling for benefits but it wouldn't work with my current job, so I'll have to stay where I am or go full career.
The retired ups driver I know acts like the pay, benefits, and having the union backing you as a employee is worth it. He also told me that when he was driving, a route paid x amount of hours and it paid that whether you did it in less or more time. I'm not sure how it works now.
Searching through the threads, having more driver positions like 22.4 (a current driver told me to ask about that while applying) some people may not be fans of. Not being in the company I'm not sure why?
22.4 driver is it only position you're going to get if you get hired on full-time
We don't like those positions because they pay 15% less than our RPCD driver

rickyb

I will start by saying I do not work for ups. I have applied twice, once as package handler in 2018 and earlier this year as a pt driver. I was contact by hr about pt driver position and was told it would be a casual driver position. I did the driving test, back ground check, then other forms including tax info, direct deposit etc. Then waited to do the week of driving school. When I starting seeing new drivers in my area I reached out to hr who told me they had put a hold on hiring new drivers and I would be considered in the future. A retired ups driver i know is pushing me to keep trying for a position for better pay and the benefits. I've talked to a few local drivers that encourage me to do the same. Currently I work in the agricultural business 50 hrs a week normally busy season 60 to 80hrs. I'll probably top out around 60k a year( I'm pretty close to that now). If I keep trying and do get hired, I live 40 minutes from the hub I will work at instead of 5 minutes where I work now. I'm 30 and know if I'm going to make the switch I need to now. I'm asking here as opposed to stopping a busy driver because Noone here is on the clock... Would the switch at my age be worth it?
go into healthcare its way better than any job ive done before.

i can work 2 casual jobs at a hospital (since i dont necessarily make enough doing one) for my money, and then i can get as much time off as i want.

trickpony1

go into healthcare its way better than any job ive done before.

i can work 2 casual jobs at a hospital (since i dont necessarily make enough doing one) for my money, and then i can get as much time off as i want.
....and be sure to get the shots, the boosters and even more shots they command.

JustDeliverIt

So it's a position to "help out" ft drivers by cutting down ot and paying less. So 22.4 will top out before $40/hr?

It is a FT position, was intended to be a combo job where you can work inside the building and/or drive. Guaranteed 40 hrs/week minimum with a T-S schedule. They are paid less, they top out about $6/hr less than a regular driver. But at least at my building they all drive, haven’t seen one work inside yet. All drivers start out as 22.4’s now and as RPCD’s retire a 22.4 gets promoted to that spot.